Discjo
  •  Discjo
  • 54.74% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:30:02 PM
Just saw an ad for the fair that featured a Sky Wheel. Will it make an appearance and if so who is the owner? Didnt think Wade had one.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, January 7, 2020 11:05:11 PM
There is no Sky Wheel on Wade's posted South Florida ridelist.
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, January 8, 2020 7:03:40 AM
Wade doesn't own one, at least not one on the road, I think he had two sitting at WQ though.

If he does have one in there it would be booked in I would assume. Big Rock could do it, Modern, or someone else.

He might be doing it, I think one year he booked Drew's Seattle Wheel in there didn't he, saw a picture somewhere of it. Maybe he is booking the Space Wheels, but not sure about that (I have no inside information, just guessing).
william davis
Thursday, January 9, 2020 12:00:00 PM
Seems like I recall reading a few months ago that Frank Z. had both of the old Sky Wheels that were in his WQ taken to the scrap yard last year. I would guess if there is one at this fair it's booked in from Big Rock as he books Big Rock's at other events.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, January 9, 2020 2:26:27 PM
Originally Posted by: william davis 

Seems like I recall reading a few months ago that Frank Z. had both of the old Sky Wheels that were in his WQ taken to the scrap yard last year. I would guess if there is one at this fair it's booked in from Big Rock as he books Big Rock's at other events.

Well if he did, that is a real shame, I mean keep one of them at least and the other for parts.

If the Sky Wheels ever do make a big come back one day then all these folks that sent them to the scrap yard are going to be kicking themselves...……..if he did do that.
JustinJames
Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:22:18 PM
Skywheels are not going to be making a big comeback in this current climate.
Tornado
Thursday, January 16, 2020 9:01:03 PM
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

if anyone would know it would be you. But what do you think are the factors:

To hard to move
No one to move it/capable of moving it
Expensive Maintenance
No interest from rides any longer?

Thanks
thunderbolt85
Friday, January 17, 2020 6:45:22 AM

Oh I know, just wishful thinking I guess, you know we need one down there at the museum at Gibtown. Maybe someone will donate one down the road.
thunderbolt85
Friday, January 17, 2020 6:49:03 AM
Originally Posted by: Tornado 

if anyone would know it would be you. But what do you think are the factors:

To hard to move
No one to move it/capable of moving it
Expensive Maintenance
No interest from rides any longer?

Thanks

I have heard the following:

Hard to find crews or folks who know how to move them.

Didn't always make money, more of a regional ride, so say in the south it didn't make money.

Slow loading and I don't think I have ever seen one fully loaded even when they had a line.

ridejocky
Sunday, January 19, 2020 10:09:20 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

I have heard the following:

Hard to find crews or folks who know how to move them.

Didn't always make money, more of a regional ride, so say in the south it didn't make money.

Slow loading and I don't think I have ever seen one fully loaded even when they had a line.

I've certainly seen it run full, but it's two trailers and pretty hard to move for the money it can win. Cycle times are too long and you not only have to have a decent guy to move it, but you also have to have a decent guy(s) to operate and maintain it. Combine that with what keeping it going, lit and compliant must cost and it's just not worth it.

Great ride and looks good on the midway (if maintained)

Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:25:08 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

I've certainly seen it run full, but it's two trailers and pretty hard to move for the money it can win. Cycle times are too long and you not only have to have a decent guy to move it, but you also have to have a decent guy(s) to operate and maintain it. Combine that with what keeping it going, lit and compliant must cost and it's just not worth it.

Great ride and looks good on the midway (if maintained)

Really, yeah never did see it full but I believe you, when Crown first came to the Upper SC State fair and we had long lines on a POP fair I thought for sure I would see it fully loaded, but nope, they still skipped tubs.

Well, if we can just keep at least a few on the road and I can see every now and then that would be enough, rather that that to not ever see one again.
JustinJames
Friday, January 31, 2020 9:41:59 AM
Ours ran full loads in West Palm. Very light in Tampa conversely.

Does better up North as a general rule though.

There really is nothing hard about moving it per se. Just tedious and time consuming. Wind can shut it down easily. Our crew moves it very efficiently. Can usually be up in 5 hours and down in 3-4 hours with the 5 man crew we have.
ridejocky
Saturday, February 1, 2020 8:42:36 AM

Ours ran full loads in West Palm. Very light in Tampa conversely.

Does better up North as a general rule though.

There really is nothing hard about moving it per se. Just tedious and time consuming. Wind can shut it down easily. Our crew moves it very efficiently. Can usually be up in 5 hours and down in 3-4 hours with the 5 man crew we have.

Everything is easy to move if you've got a crew...

Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Monday, February 3, 2020 6:35:58 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

Everything is easy to move if you've got a crew...

and good green help, not drunks or lazy guys who just want to take breaks.

I always treated the green help with respect but I wanted to get done (and safely) and get on the road. We had a few over the years where all they wanted to do was complain or goof off, course guess everybody has at some time or another. We had a few good spots where the same green help would come back each year and that made things a whole lot better.
indianacarnie
Monday, February 3, 2020 10:18:41 AM
That was always my favorite ride tbh. When Murphy Bro's had theirs I was friends with the jock who was 1st man. Can't remember his name...... him and his wife and me and my wife were the only 2 married couples on the show as far as us peons went. Still date in Saint Louis one spring the show was busted for no permits..... I was up top taking a break smoking a joint. Watched the whole thing go down from up there.

Last one I saw on the road was on Stine amusements and that was many years ago. Doesn't Belle City still travel with one? I'm sure I saw one there at the Strawberry festival the last time I was there. That HAS been a few years now but....... it was beautiful to see. All the lights were working and kept a tip as far as I could see. Can also remember seeing two side by side at Tampa one year.... it was glorious.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche