ridejocky
Friday, August 23, 2019 10:24:37 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

So what was it like on the train, did each person (or a couple of guys) have their own room, or was each coach just opened up like a big dorm room with bunks. Did each room (if they had that) have a shower/toilet, or were there community showers/toilets (like in a military dorm)?

Was there AC, a pie car, etc? Often have wondered about all that on Strates train. I know he had a nice coach, seen pictures of the inside.

The train could have been great, but it was poorly supervised. The coaches were all Pullman style. Generally, an aisle down the middle, with single rooms on each side, and at one end the aisle would jog to the side, and there would be a few double rooms for couples.

Single staterooms had something like a Murphy bed, that pretty much filled the room when it was folded down, and made a nice seat when folded up. Each room had a window that opened, a sink and mirror, overhead light, reading light, shaving light, coat hook, and a luggage rack. Originally they each had a toilet, but these had all been removed.

Double staterooms were similar, but each had two bunks, one up and one down, and these also folded up to make a nice long sofa. Partitions could also be folded such that you could make a "double-double" for a family.

Each coach had one or two showers and heads, but they were locked when making the jump. There was a special head on each coach that got used over the runs.

Pie car on one end and generator car in the middle. You could (generally) go through the pie car out on to the loading flat, and through the generator car to get to the other coaches.

No air conditioning or heat.

It was a shame because it could have really been a big draw for help, but it was just so poorly maintained it was clear no one really cared about the help. Great on the outside, sh*t on the inside. That said, when I joined, I was on Car 1, which was still pretty nice. Was on car 2 for while which was more of a staff car, but the rooms were not as nicely arranged.

I loved riding it, but I only rode it a few times as I most always drove one of my loads and stayed on the lot.

Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Friday, August 23, 2019 3:39:46 PM
Thanks, that is some interesting stuff on living on the train.
ridejocky
Saturday, August 24, 2019 6:23:14 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Thanks, that is some interesting stuff on living on the train.

It definitely had its moments....

Ride the Zipper?