thunderbolt85
Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:05:43 AM
Anyone have any good stories on the following shows:

Nova Expositions

Crown Amusements (Dick Carl)

Georgia Amusements (either under Doc Hardin or Homer Scott)

I was impressed with Crown Amusements when they first came down south back in the late 80s. They booked in with Deggeller here one year, the next year they had the contract.

He put on a good show that first year, Chance Giant Wheel, Sky Wheel, Rock O Plane, 12 seat wheel, Soli Himi, plus nice round up of other rides. He booked a good with about 5 rides (bumper cars, gravitron, and kiddies) but only allowed him to set up the bumper cars when they got here.

He bought something new every year and the midway was always packed, but then towards the end before he sold out to Pugh he started playing two dates at once and the midway started getting stale. I would have really liked to have seen Pugh at their prime, but that was towards the end and really didn't get to see the whole show.

I would have liked to have seen Nova as well during their prime but they were on their last legs as well when they came around.

The unit I worked on (small unit playing still dates) had a B. Curve/Swiss Bobs, F&B Bumper Car, Scrambler, Wave Swinger (AofA now), slide, laser ship/kiddie coaster combo, bounce, and some other kiddie ride. Only had about 10 guys for full time crew, so moving that big stuff took a long time without enough green help.
gmonty3
Tuesday, July 3, 2018 8:00:49 AM
I played the State Fair of WV with NOVA in 1985. This fair is very over rated. There are many county fairs that draw more people! NOVA was in bankruptcy. When Jewels, the lot man, brought around the rent slips, there was a letter from the bankruptcy court that said that all rent had to be paid with a cashiers check. I forgot who I had to make the check out to, but it wasn't the show. The rent was $80./Ft,10-foot minimum, plus $150. dings for trash pick-up and $150. for cut-in. I had my Age and Weight with a new joint, first time up. Little Richard had his Merry-go-Round in the kiddy land with a lush running it. Instead or the normal band music, this guy would put in "Hey Good Looking, What ya got Cooking, How bout Cooking Something up for me". Doug Hopkins sat right next to my joint with his Wheel and Twister and Albert Wade had his grab joint on the other side of my location. It rained everyday and then it was dry until the flood of '85 in November.
Monty

IndianaTED
Saturday, July 7, 2018 8:07:30 PM
Don't have any stories about those Shows, but would like to expand the list...

Anybody have anything they can share about Johnny's United Shows or Key City Shows?

Thanks in advance.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
thunderbolt85
Monday, July 9, 2018 6:42:52 AM
Originally Posted by: gmonty3 

I played the State Fair of WV with NOVA in 1985. This fair is very over rated. There are many county fairs that draw more people! NOVA was in bankruptcy. When Jewels, the lot man, brought around the rent slips, there was a letter from the bankruptcy court that said that all rent had to be paid with a cashiers check. I forgot who I had to make the check out to, but it wasn't the show. The rent was $80./Ft,10-foot minimum, plus $150. dings for trash pick-up and $150. for cut-in. I had my Age and Weight with a new joint, first time up. Little Richard had his Merry-go-Round in the kiddy land with a lush running it. Instead or the normal band music, this guy would put in "Hey Good Looking, What ya got Cooking, How bout Cooking Something up for me". Doug Hopkins sat right next to my joint with his Wheel and Twister and Albert Wade had his grab joint on the other side of my location. It rained everyday and then it was dry until the flood of '85 in November.

Yeah, someone years ago told the WV state fair had a million folks coming, found out that wasn't the truth. Can't stand to hear rock music or something else other than MGR music on a MGR, if you don't have MGR music just don't play anything at all.

I remember Jewels for sure, he came over to Childress once Nova went out of business, along with some folks with concessions but I can't their name for the life of me. However, they were really nice folks, the Mom and Dad had a nice big cook house and they would serve meat and three's to the show folks, good food. The son/wife had a cookhouse and some games. I wish I could remember their names, but really nice folks, always ready to help.
thunderbolt85
Monday, July 9, 2018 6:43:57 AM
Originally Posted by: IndianaTED 

Don't have any stories about those Shows, but would like to expand the list...

Anybody have anything they can share about Johnny's United Shows or Key City Shows?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, would love to hear about JUS, I never saw Key City, but would love to hear about them.