Dave
  •  Dave
  • 53.24% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Saturday, February 3, 2018 4:19:39 PM
Name did this fair for a long time. I see Degeller has it listed. Anyone know what happened
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, February 4, 2018 2:49:48 PM
Originally Posted by: Dave 

Name did this fair for a long time. I see Degeller has it listed. Anyone know what happened

most likely they have some equipment booked in.

thunderbolt85
Monday, February 5, 2018 6:53:15 AM
They may just be booking rides in as britt is saying, but you know years ago Deggeller Magic Midway had the contract I believe.

And didn't Deggeller Attractions have it as well (the brothers)?
ridejocky
Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:21:42 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

They may just be booking rides in as britt is saying, but you know years ago Deggeller Magic Midway had the contract I believe.

And didn't Deggeller Attractions have it as well (the brothers)?

I thought it went from Deggeller to Conklin to NAME

Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:40:58 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

I thought it went from Deggeller to Conklin to NAME

You may be right, the brothers may not have gotten the contract, may have just been Deggeller Magic Midway, then Conklin and Name as you stated.

I know Deggeller Attractions won back the SC State Fair contract from Conklin, then Conklin took it back from them.

I know I have discussed before on here, but still will never forget the two years that Conklin had the Upper SC state fair as Magic Midway, boy they packed the rides in during those two years.

Four or five music rides, Sky Wheel, Diver, Rok O Plane, and 2 ferris wheels up front. Lots of Major rides, a coaster each year and plenty of backend pieces as well.
Dave
  •  Dave
  • 53.24% (Neutral)
Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:16:55 PM
It was deggeller magic midways, bought by Conklin, Bought out by Name at Columbia. The double loop run away train giant wheel artic cat and more. I was with them in the mid/late 80's they were the premiere midway back then.
ridejocky
Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:18:13 AM

It was deggeller magic midways, bought by Conklin, Bought out by Name at Columbia. The double loop run away train giant wheel artic cat and more. I was with them in the mid/late 80's they were the premiere midway back then.

Conko's Southern Comfort Unit, yes?

They booked with Strates at a few spots before Strates got the Pirate, Enterprise and Wheel.

Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Friday, February 9, 2018 11:09:38 AM

Don't get me wrong, Conklin was a terrific show back then, and I know Conklin had the Doople Looping, but the Deggeller brothers had a lot of "big" stuff as well. Huss Pirate, Ranger, Breakdance (for one year), and the Weber 1001 Nights. Plus they had a good mix of majors, spectaculars, and kiddies or they could book just about anything they needed.

I guess Conklin could give up more money though on the %. Course the only coaster Deggeller had back then was the Chance Toboggan while Conklin had what the D. Looping, Wildcat, Mark I, and the Runaway.
Dave
  •  Dave
  • 53.24% (Neutral)
Saturday, February 10, 2018 12:05:12 AM
That coaster probably made them go broke. They moved it through canada one year 4 spots in a row 27 trucks lots of local cranes. They had sponsor at each fair to make the money work. Something like Wade ? Woods Midway eye.

ridejocky
Saturday, February 10, 2018 1:28:20 AM
That Dopple Looping was a badass piece. I think it booked with Strates a couple spots )or we booked Conklin)

Strates put on a lot of big pieces in the ‘80s.
Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Monday, February 12, 2018 6:35:16 AM
Yeah, at one point Strates was putting up 4 Huss pieces at the Anderson County Fair, small event compared to his other spots but he always did a great job in there, had the Pirate, Enterprise, Rainbow, and Tristar at one time, then the Top Spin after selling the TriStar.

He booked a lot for the NCSF as well, always powerful midways in there, sometimes duplicates, but strong midways.
BAZOOKIE
Wednesday, March 7, 2018 9:00:44 PM
Deggler has food booked in at Miami Dade. No rides.

Chris "Bazookie"
Ontario, Canada
“We will make electricity so cheap that only the rich will burn candles.”
― Thomas A. Edison
ridejocky
Wednesday, March 7, 2018 10:32:17 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Yeah, at one point Strates was putting up 4 Huss pieces at the Anderson County Fair, small event compared to his other spots but he always did a great job in there, had the Pirate, Enterprise, Rainbow, and Tristar at one time, then the Top Spin after selling the TriStar.

He booked a lot for the NCSF as well, always powerful midways in there, sometimes duplicates, but strong midways.

I always liked playing Anderson. My last spot was Anderson in ‘88.

Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:06:40 AM
Yep, Anderson was a really nice county fair. I have a friend who has 4 or 5 joints (food) and he would take 2 or 3 in there each year and walk away with a nice wad of cash, he did really well there.

Then, they tried a spring fair there as well and it didn't do well, and seemed to take away from the fall fair. Then the move the dates of the fall fair and started selling beer which didn't do good and the fair went down hill from there.

Then Strates lost the NCSF and the route changed and I don't think Anderson fit in very well anymore in addition to the declining attendance.

There used to be a lot of nice county fairs in SC but many have folded or don't do as well as they did, but a few still do good.
Tornado
Thursday, March 8, 2018 9:26:41 AM
Originally Posted by: BAZOOKIE 

Deggler has food booked in at Miami Dade. No rides.

Thanks.
Weird thay have is listed on their schedule so you would assume they were putting rides in there as well.