wvscott
  •  wvscott
  • 63.5% (Friendly)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Saturday, February 17, 2018 10:51:18 AM
I keep reading on various news stories and Facebook news posts that the largest traveling portable wheel is 155 feet and belongs to Michael Wood and Frank Zaitshik and uses (12) trucks to move. I also read that the RCS La Grande Wheel XL is 165 feet tall and uses (22) trailers/containers to move. If the later is true, then why is the first mentioned wheel labeled as the largest in many articles?

Both of these are huge, and spectacular by any standard, and a sight to see I'm sure, but I'm confused as to which is actually the biggest?
Dave
  •  Dave
  • 53.24% (Neutral)
  • Operations
Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:37:36 PM
True it seems RCS wheel is taller, wades has a nice paint job and lighting. It looks better, but RCS has ac so its close. Maybe these guys will add a big coaster someday if they can make the large wheel thing financially viable, maybe they can.
ridejocky
Saturday, February 17, 2018 7:38:17 PM
Great question
Ride the Zipper?
ridejocky
Sunday, February 18, 2018 12:36:03 AM
I’m guessing more loads = bigger tubs = greater capacity
Ride the Zipper?
ridejocky
Sunday, February 18, 2018 5:34:53 AM
RCS has a nice little video of the R50XL in action.

Apparently they’ll have all three wheels at Houston this year.
Ride the Zipper?
wvscott
  •  wvscott
  • 63.5% (Friendly)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, February 19, 2018 9:10:51 AM
from everything I can find to read up on this question, it would certainly appear that the RCS wheel is the larger of the 2, but yet when you read about the east coast wheel, many articles call it the largest portable wheel.

Matt, you should know the answer, can you please shed some light on this question?
bob4554
  •  bob4554
  • 55.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, February 19, 2018 10:35:35 PM
The RCS wheel is indeed larger. Last year the Wade/Wood wheel made its debut at the FSF (even though it was late) and the RCS wheel didn't until the next week so at the time the Wade/Wood wheel was the largest for about a week. I guess they hang on to this designation because it was for a time and RCS and Wade/Wood really never play the same sides of the country with the exception of the plain. Just my guess. But RCS has the bigger of the 2. I haven't seen it in person but from my view I believe Wade's wheel is more visually appealing.
Bob

ridejocky
Tuesday, February 20, 2018 8:19:35 AM
Does the Wade wheel have enclosed tubs?
Ride the Zipper?
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, February 20, 2018 6:12:57 PM
as I understand it, Wade/Woods wheel was the largest when bought and delivered but RCS sent theirs back to factory to make it higher than Wade/Woods. how the factory did that I do not know. When it came back it is a few meters taller. the average fair patron would not notice the difference. They travel different parts of the country and I doubt you would ever see both at same location anyway. there is supposed to be another wheel coming over that will be the largest traveling wheel however.
ridejocky
Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:33:35 AM
It’s the RCS wheel actually have 10 more loads than Wade’s?
Ride the Zipper?
Tornado
Friday, February 23, 2018 10:52:09 AM
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, February 24, 2018 11:57:51 AM
I throw my two cents in here.

1. Those wheels are not the Tallest in the World. They are the Tallest in the US.
The Steiger sp? Wheel in Germany is the Tallest portable wheel (that actually travels) at 200'

2. The real record holder for the largest tallest portable wheel goes to a permanent site in Mexico city. I think that wheel is 250-300? I can't really remember but there's a video of it on You Tube. It's not really built to travel though.

3. RCS bought a 3rd giant wheel that is currently the tallest in the US. Like someone said earlier the Wade/Wood Wheel was the tallest for about a week or two but at that time the RCS wheel was sitting in containers at the Houston Astrodome waiting on the show to arrive.

Click the links below

Steiger 60 Meter Wheel  

Worlds Tallest Portable Wheel 80 Meters 
Tornado
Wednesday, February 28, 2018 5:20:11 PM
Originally Posted by: britt 

as I understand it, Wade/Woods wheel was the largest when bought and delivered but RCS sent theirs back to factory to make it higher than Wade/Woods. how the factory did that I do not know. When it came back it is a few meters taller. the average fair patron would not notice the difference. They travel different parts of the country and I doubt you would ever see both at same location anyway. there is supposed to be another wheel coming over that will be the largest traveling wheel however.

Who is getting that would be largest traveling wheel you mentioned? We know it's probably NOT RCS or Wade....
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, February 28, 2018 7:32:38 PM
Originally Posted by: Tornado 

Who is getting that would be largest traveling wheel you mentioned? We know it's probably NOT RCS or Wade....

I will let them make the announcement

Dave
  •  Dave
  • 53.24% (Neutral)
  • Operations
Wednesday, February 28, 2018 10:48:52 PM