thunderbolt85
Tuesday, November 7, 2017 6:56:43 AM
That was a great article on Strates and the needs of the business when it comes to older rides and taking care of them.

I specially enjoyed reading about the Pirate, so that looks to be good news that it might be back on the road next year finally. I only hope they can do that as well with the Scrambler down the road and get it back out as well.

But I do understand its getting harder and harder to find parts for these older rides, love to see them but understand. I talked to someone else this year that has a Huss Pirate and the foreman said they had been trying to buy old Pirate's just for the parts.
ridejocky
Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:43:26 AM
Not sure what parts they need.

If you replace the drive, not much to wear out.

I liked moving the boat
Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, November 7, 2017 2:37:14 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

Not sure what parts they need.

If you replace the drive, not much to wear out.

I liked moving the boat

Yeah, not sure either. I helped moved a Sea Ray, but that is nothing compared to a Huss Pirate I know.

One year while riding on Strates Pirate, it seemed to swing much higher than normal, I figured they did it because there were some other ride jocks on the boat at the time, but I haven't felt a swing that high before on his, or Deggellers, or the one at the beach.
ridejocky
Tuesday, November 7, 2017 6:26:06 PM
Cold oil or new pump maybe.

I remember it swung up past 90 degrees when it was running right.

There was no “height” control (that I rememder) for the operator. I think the only way to control the height would be to adjust the flow at the pump.
Ride the Zipper?
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:46:18 PM
If you own a HUGE ride like a Pirate or any other ride from HUSS and have any intentions of keeping it on the road .... you buy parts from HUSS. It's not like American made rides that are sitting around in peoples yards rusting away and you can scrap pick off of. You own a ride built by the Mercedes
of manufactures and you buy their parts. Otherwise your huge investment is a trailer load of scrap at your winter quarters..... they don't sit there like wine or cheese.
ridejocky
Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:39:20 PM
And if you have a pice of equipment at a state fair and you’re looking at three months of down-time waiting for a seal fro Germany you try to find something that works.

Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Friday, November 17, 2017 7:18:32 AM
I thought for a while there it was tough to get parts from Huss. I understand that Huss is the Peterbuilt of carnival rides, and a huge investment, but if you could buy another one at the right price for parts I would think that would be idea.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, November 17, 2017 8:41:11 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

I thought for a while there it was tough to get parts from Huss. I understand that Huss is the Peterbuilt of carnival rides, and a huge investment, but if you could buy another one at the right price for parts I would think that would be idea.

That maybe but how many owners of a "Peterbuilt" is going to park them and scrap them out?
ridejocky
Friday, November 17, 2017 10:48:29 AM
A 25 year old drive that was never that great to start with and that has an antiquated PLC & servo doesn’t need parts, it needs to be converted to a new drive.

They never should have let that knuckle-head “rebuild” it.

Not much to go wrong with the structure and whatnot.
Ride the Zipper?
ridejocky
Friday, November 17, 2017 10:50:02 AM
Originally Posted by: Scott 

That maybe but how many owners of a "Peterbuilt" is going to park them and scrap them out?

No shortages of Peterbuilts in the Junk-yards..,
Ride the Zipper?
BeauceCarnavalMan
Tuesday, January 2, 2018 8:33:28 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

No shortages of Peterbuilts in the Junk-yards..,

Always shortages of Hayes and Marmons
BeauceCarnavalMan
thunderbolt85
Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:03:45 PM
UPDATE: Just saw Strates Facebook page and they have a picture of the Pirate with new paint job, looks good and it states its hitting the road this season.

So looking forward to the Pirate's return and with the Enterprise it will be like the old days, now if we could just get them to bring back the Sky Wheel, Diver, and Tristar...................LOL know that's not going to happen.
ridejocky
Saturday, February 3, 2018 12:24:46 AM
I might try to get out and see it again.
Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Monday, February 5, 2018 6:54:29 AM
Yeah, I am really try to get up to the Dixie Classic Fair this year, been saying I was going for years, just haven't had a chance.
ridejocky
Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:17:23 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Yeah, I am really try to get up to the Dixie Classic Fair this year, been saying I was going for years, just haven't had a chance.

Where are they in July?
Ride the Zipper?