Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, May 1, 2016 1:33:49 PM
Strates Shows train headed north this morning.
ridejocky
Sunday, May 1, 2016 8:26:21 PM
did they take the coaches?
Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, May 1, 2016 10:30:50 PM
42 flats, no coaches, and no Top Spin.
ridejocky
Monday, May 2, 2016 10:56:56 AM
It is sad. Strates could really have something with the coaches but they're always *.
Ride the Zipper?
cny_chris
Monday, May 2, 2016 12:02:02 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

It is sad. Strates could really have something with the coaches but they're always *.

Coaches not going out are a cost saving move. CSX requires substantial additional insurance for them (been told well into the 6 figures in cost) because of the risk from Strates employees having to enter railroad property constatntly to get to them when they are parked. CSX really just doesn't want to deal with the situation.

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Tornado
Monday, May 2, 2016 2:02:35 PM
Originally Posted by: cny_chris 

Coaches not going out are a cost saving move. CSX requires substantial additional insurance for them (been told well into the 6 figures in cost) because of the risk from Strates employees having to enter railroad property constatntly to get to them when they are parked. CSX really just doesn't want to deal with the situation.

does Ringling have this same problem/requirement too?
thunderbolt85
Monday, May 2, 2016 2:45:25 PM
I liked seeing them (the coaches) as well, but understand this is a major cost.

Not only the insurance, but they also had a plant that ran power to the coaches, so that required fuel and upkeep.

At least we still have the flats rolling out each season.

The one thing I would like to see is the Scrambler on the road again, but again, I don't think that's going to happen now.
ridejocky
Monday, May 2, 2016 6:00:32 PM
I don't care about seeing them, it is just sad that something that could have been so good for the show and the employees has been so crappy.

You still have to put the help somewhere and you still have to run a plant for them.

Ride the Zipper?
wvscott
Tuesday, May 3, 2016 9:49:41 AM
I would think the Scrambler could be completely refurbished in the Strates winter quarters, and easily become a nice ride again. Any ideas as to why they do not do that?
Tornado
Tuesday, May 3, 2016 12:40:52 PM
Originally Posted by: wvscott 

I would think the Scrambler could be completely refurbished in the Strates winter quarters, and easily become a nice ride again. Any ideas as to why they do not do that?

Good point and question? look what Big-A did to their Scrambler.... LED's and all, looks great!
SideWinder
Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:37:34 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

I don't care about seeing them, it is just sad that something that could have been so good for the show and the employees has been so crappy.

You still have to put the help somewhere and you still have to run a plant for them.

[banghead2 REALLY???? [banghead2 Have you heard of this concept called a "BUNKHOUSE" Yea many shows have them now. They even run on "CITY POWER" so you do not need a generator to run them....If you want to pony up the insurance money, I'm sure they would be more than happy to bring the coached out just to satisfy you A$$!!!! Because you don't seem to understand the cost effect of them now a days....
ridejocky
Tuesday, May 3, 2016 7:41:13 PM
I'm sure the get free insurance for the bunkhouses and the trucks that pull them and everyone knows city power is free as well. Fuel and drivers for the trucks is free as well.

At least it's nice that the help can go to bed in the bunkhouses and wake up at the next spot, oh wait...

I could really give a sh*t less about it, I just think it could have been a great asset, but was poorly managed.

Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, May 4, 2016 7:28:25 AM
Poorly managed?

How many years did they have the coaches on the rails? Times have changed, and sure I don't like a lot of the changes, but this one is a no brainer. With all the business that railroads have today, they don't really care that much about the hassle of moving a show train like years ago, its a good thing that the railroads even still will pull the loads because they could do fine without RB&BB and Strates.

They don't want to fool with coaches, people riding on them that could be hurt or killed in an accident, or people coming and going on RR property. Strates held on to them for as long as he could, but with some bigger spots missing now, the economy, and changing attitudes with the railroads it just cost to much to fool with.

The way things change now a days, we better enjoy watching the flats while we can, cause one day with the changing needs of the business, railroad policy, and costs we might not even have that, and no I don't know any inside information, just my thoughts.

Personally thinking, wouldn't mind them cutting the coaches up for scrap iron if it meant they could bring classics like the Sky Wheel, Diver, Scram, and Pirate back out. But I know that is most likely not going to happen.
ridejocky
Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:59:15 AM
I lived on the train 38 years ago and they were a piece of crap then. Saw them again a year ago at WQ and it was hard to believe people were living in them.

Whatever.
Ride the Zipper?