italianredneck
Tuesday, July 14, 2015 7:48:25 PM
I was just thinking about the excitement that I used to have when amusements of america would come to the mt. Carmel feast. It seemed like they had twice as many rides then now. I know times change but I wish the younger kids would have the experience i had with rides like the sky wheel, swiss bob, diskotech, enterprise,rock and roll, etc. especially the swiss bob(bayern kurve) i would give anything to ride that once more
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, July 15, 2015 6:59:22 AM
Originally Posted by: italianredneck 

I was just thinking about the excitement that I used to have when amusements of america would come to the mt. Carmel feast. It seemed like they had twice as many rides then now. I know times change but I wish the younger kids would have the experience i had with rides like the sky wheel, swiss bob, diskotech, enterprise,rock and roll, etc. especially the swiss bob(bayern kurve) i would give anything to ride that once more

I agree, one I miss the most in addition to the above was Reithoffers SeeSturmbahn, very unique music ride to say the least. Swiss Bobs was fun too and Strates TriStar.
wvscott
Wednesday, July 15, 2015 10:31:50 AM
when A of A used to play Hagerstown MD, 40 years ago they had the girls in the tents. I was only 16 and paid $20 to get in with my friends, a lot of money back in those days but worth every penny to see the girls nude. They also had the moto-drome with the cycles, and I remember the skywheel and skydiver with lots of other rides.

midways are much different these days
swooper
Thursday, July 16, 2015 12:09:24 PM
Originally Posted by: italianredneck 

do you remember the double decker dark ride "Nightmare", arcade, Barn funhouse and how hot it can get there with the Sun reflecting off the sand lot?

I am going to try to get there Saturday.
Tornado
Thursday, July 16, 2015 1:11:17 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

I agree, one I miss the most in addition to the above was Reithoffers SeeSturmbahn, very unique music ride to say the least. Swiss Bobs was fun too and Strates TriStar.

Never say never on the Sea Strum Bahn (or Sea Storm as it was last called). The past could be the present again!
thunderbolt85
Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:23:37 PM
Originally Posted by: Tornado 

Never say never on the Sea Strum Bahn (or Sea Storm as it was last called). The past could be the present again!

Well I was hoping for that a couple of years ago when it was brought up on here that it might be getting fixed up and put on the road again, but that's when they did the Super Cat make-over (Artic Blast).

I would love for it to come back out, but figured with 3 loads, big crew to move, and costs it wouldn't make it. But still hoping some.

Do you know, is it still sitting at that fairground in NC, or did they move down to WQ?
Tornado
Thursday, July 16, 2015 5:35:35 PM

Well I was hoping for that a couple of years ago when it was brought up on here that it might be getting fixed up and put on the road again, but that's when they did the Super Cat make-over (Artic Blast).

I would love for it to come back out, but figured with 3 loads, big crew to move, and costs it wouldn't make it. But still hoping some.

Do you know, is it still sitting at that fairground in NC, or did they move down to WQ?

Time will tell !
Its now in their WQ in Gibtown Florida
wvscott
Friday, July 17, 2015 10:12:30 AM
hey Tornado, is that different from the Raupen Bahn, or am I mistaken. Seems like I remember a ride by that name at Frederick MD years ago. I may be wrong as maybe it was the Sea Strum Bahn
Tornado
Friday, July 17, 2015 12:19:00 PM
Originally Posted by: wvscott 

hey Tornado, is that different from the Raupen Bahn, or am I mistaken. Seems like I remember a ride by that name at Frederick MD years ago. I may be wrong as maybe it was the Sea Strum Bahn

They are different.

Raupen Bahn (now Artic Blast) is a traditional caterpillar type ride. It used to have the canopy that covered riders during the ride, which made for a unique ride sensation…

The Sea Strum Bahn (last called Sea Storm) is a Himalaya type design with boats for cars and more/tighter hills. Also, the cars used to spin 180 degrees so as to give the rider a forwards and backwards motion without stopping the ride and changing directions (though this was later removed for safety reasons).
They got both around the same time.
thunderbolt85
Friday, July 17, 2015 3:07:01 PM
That's interesting didnt know they stopped the turning, which was the best part, any thoughts as to the safety reasons.
Tornado
Friday, July 17, 2015 4:53:28 PM

That's interesting didnt know they stopped the turning, which was the best part, any thoughts as to the safety reasons.

Agreed, the cars rotating while the ride was in motion was unusual and unique. Made the ride great to ride…

As I’m not privy to the exact reason, or reasons, I don’t want to speculate as to the reasons why they stopped them from rotating…

Believe these (Raupen Bahn and See Strum Bahn) were the ONLY ones traveling in North America….
There is another Raupen Bahn in Myrtle Beach SC in operation and there was another See Strum Bahn in Canada at La Ronn (Man and is World) near Montreal, but no longer there. Not sure what happened to it.
ridejocky
Friday, July 17, 2015 5:35:19 PM
That Raupen Bahn was bad-ass new, but it got thrashed pretty quick.

Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Friday, July 17, 2015 6:34:48 PM
Carowinds has one sorta like the see storm, no top and in kiddie land not sure if Mack or built by someone else.

First time I saw it with Reithoffer was still date at a mall here, they still had the Diver and Trooper as well with some rides. That was 85 and it really looked sharp, had an Explorer too in back which was booked in, two backend pieces, hurricane, r-up, S Loops and kiddie land.

olediggerguy
Saturday, July 18, 2015 12:33:38 PM
The Raupen Bahn was the height of German manufacturing. The thing just looked it was built to last a lifetime. It's a testament to it's builders, operators, and owners that she's still out on the road for close to 40 years. I saw it 3 years ago..no longer operating with the canvas cover coming over the top. Not quite the same experience visually...but I'm sure insurance would no longer permit that.

The SEA STURHM BAHN was a different kind of ride. Pat Reithoffer envisioned this piece to be a family ride. He saw it operating in Germany with many of the riders being adults.He thought the same could happen here in the states. Mrs Reithoffer loved the ride. Only big band music was allowed to be played...no ROCK N ROLL.It was a work of art to look at. Water fountains in the middle of the open top, beautiful scenery and lights.I don't think it ever won the money the Reithoffers envisioned...and always seemed to take longer to up and down then any other ride.
I asked Rick about it 5,6 years ago...said it was in Florida and would need a COMPLETE refurbishment costing over 100k to get her back out and that probably wasn't going to happen. A recent picture of it on the Reithoffer F.B. page said she's gone for good.
boltz
Saturday, July 18, 2015 1:04:49 PM
I wouldn't say gone for good on The Sea Strum Bahn. Its ready for a rebuild. Its all about the money. I would think rebuilding a 1 of a kind ride would be better then buying another "Himalaya" type ride. BUT, it's easier said then done, when it's not our money fixing it up. I'd love to take on that job!!

Raupen Bahn was new in 1981

Sea Strum Bahn in 1985
Stop complaining...Nobody cares anyway!!