thunderbolt85
Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:47:33 AM
Although I have never got to move/run one, I have rode the Chance Rok N Roll quite a few times on Big A, Johnny's United Shows, Larry's Amusements, and a few others.

We had a good discussion on the Zipper thought we could have a good one on this ride. Seems like a good thrill ride to me, with easy set up and tear down, but maybe some of you could tell some stories about moving one.

I know there are still a few of them out there, but seems like this would be good piece for shows like Powers, Strates, Deggeller, and some of the others. One trailer, good capacity, and good flash. I always enjoyed riding them, but haven't been around one in while.

Seem like the good operators knew how to run the ride to get the tubs to spin.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:32:26 AM
BSA Mike told me he doesn't like it because the strap cuts into your torso. He said it's painful.

I know the one put into the kid ride area in Tampa did excellent.

If I remember right, Pinetar had one and he wasn't a big fan of it the last few years he had it. Something about using a transmission from a ford or dodge truck and it was hard to find.
Jackpotter
Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:12:55 PM
I remember riding the one that Johnny's United Shows had for several years at the KY State Fair and then remember riding one that was at the FSF a few years back. It wasn't as much fun as it was a kid and it is fairly painful with that strap for sure. If I recall correctly isn't there a wheel on the end of each arm that hits a section of "tracking" near the spindle that causes the cage to roll? Or am I imagining that?
thunderbolt85
Thursday, December 12, 2013 12:32:35 PM
I remember the strap for sure, didn't bother me then really, but sure it would now as I have gained a few pounds.

I believe you right on the tire, seems I remember seeing them and hearing them when we "rolled".
booker
Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:47:19 PM
Many years ago i was fortunate enough to fall out and cracked my head open on the middle bar inside the seat. Since then i have viewed the ride differently. i still like it and i would buy i. Easy up easy down fast loader...
booker
Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:48:32 PM
Many years ago i was fortunate enough to fall out and cracked my head open on the middle bar inside the seat. Since then i have viewed the ride differently. i still like it and i would buy i. Easy up easy down fast loader...
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:27:59 PM
Pinetar did have one, bought it new. It had its own problems. The center wasn't all that solid, tendency to rust or crack. Chance sent out a modification but that was poorly designed. On ours I pushed the sweeps up and welded 1/4 X 4 flat stock cut in segments around the center. Kept it together for about 10 years. Pinetar sent it back to Chance to have the center reworked.
The tubs roll as the tire run over a strip of track that raises when the operator flips a switch. It always needed a different restraint system either over the shoulder or a cushioned locking lap bar.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
punkboysa18
Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:38:26 PM
What about a redesign with 4 person, outside facing seats. Could be a cool "new" machine.
punkboysa18
Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:40:29 PM
But then it would cost a million dollars 😑
Flying Coaster
Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:01:45 PM
I thought those had a live spindle from the tire rolling on a track and there was a brake pedal in the tub hooked to a disc brake rotor so you could control the roll or was that an early version of the ride?
All Skywheels should be yeller.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, December 16, 2013 12:59:11 AM
Originally Posted by: Flying Coaster 

I thought those had a live spindle from the tire rolling on a track and there was a brake pedal in the tub hooked to a disc brake rotor so you could control the roll or was that an early version of the ride?

The old AH Looper worked that way. Now that was a chunk of iron.

I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Flying Coaster
Monday, December 16, 2013 6:57:57 AM
Originally Posted by: flamo 

The old AH Looper worked that way. Now that was a chunk of iron.

As in other cases, the Herschell was a better machine.

All Skywheels should be yeller.