godsonsafari
Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:48:58 PM
http://realtalkguidetoaw...and-fort-malden-9292012/ 

Made my way over there finally, albeit 19 years late. Shoulda taken some shots of the houses/condos just to show how much of a difference there is between them and what remains of the park a short distance away.
Bgotthar
Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:35:08 PM
Spent a summer their when the Park was open. Wayne Thompson had the Zookspitz(which he bought from the browning Family who owned the island) took it to Tenn. and rebuilt it. We also had a 2 trailer Wild Mouse their to. All women(College Age operated rides all I had to do was keep our two pieces running.Have many great memories of that summer.
I worked for Pugh Shows from 1974-2000. Married Michelle Gazella of Gazella's Finer Foods
godsonsafari
Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:19:45 PM
Any idea what happened to the mouse?
BigGuyNC1
Sunday, October 7, 2012 12:06:18 PM
Brings back memories.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality-Ayn Rand
skydiver77
Monday, February 4, 2013 8:48:53 PM
Didn't Boblo have a Sky Diver also? I think i've seen pictures on the internet of it.
Skywheelrider
Monday, February 4, 2013 10:22:51 PM
Originally Posted by: skydiver77 

Didn't Boblo have a Sky Diver also? I think i've seen pictures on the internet of it.

Yes Bob-Lo Island had a Sky Diver, right up until the end in 1993. It was in two different locations on the island in the years I visited. Lot's of great rides at Bob-Lo over the years besides the Sky Diver....Galaxi Coaster, Corkscrew (last I heard at Playland in Vancouver), Sky Streek coaster (now in Mexico), Eli Wheel (12 seat), Scrambler, Huss Pirate, Huss Enterprise, Round Up, Tilt-A-Whirl, Gondola Wheel (unsure of the manufacturer), Chance Falling Star, Polyp, Flight To Mars dark ride, Zukspitz (sp?)(Himalaya), Dodgem, Cinema 180, Nightmare (indoor coaster, went to Astroworld and now at another park in Texas I believe, outdoors), Antique Cars, Satellite Jets, C.P. Huntington Train, observation tower (still there), and at one time their Log Flume was the longest in North America, Carousel, other assorted kiddie rides, oh and the German Swings, plus some other rides I am sure I missed. I have a Bob-Lo history book filled with lots of photos. One of the best parts of the whole Bob-Lo experience was riding either of the two boats, Columbia or Ste. Clair, down the Detroit River to the island.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Rockowheel
Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:12:25 AM
I regret missing an opportunity to visit Bob-Lo years ago, like another Detroit park, Edgewater that met its demise. I believe their wood coaster was called "Soul Train" in the final years.
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:41:21 AM
Originally Posted by: Rockowheel 

I regret missing an opportunity to visit Bob-Lo years ago, like another Detroit park, Edgewater that met its demise. I believe their wood coaster was called "Soul Train" in the final years.

Actually it was the "Big Beast" when Edgewater Park closed around 1981, though the name "Soul Train" was used for a time. My only memory of the park was driving by it a couple of times when I was a kid, when it was closed for the season. but my Dad has told me a lot about the park. The Gondola Wheel ended up at Bob-Lo, along with a Polyp.

Great Michigan history site, with old drive in's, indoor theatres, racetracks, amusement parks, shopping centers and malls, drag racing, vintage gas stations, motels, some old Ionia Fair photos, and more, a treasure trove of photos and information:

This is their Edgewater Park page: http://www.waterwinterwonderlan...k.aspx?id=301&Type=2 

And their Bob-Lo Island page: http://www.waterwinterwonderlan...k.aspx?id=300&Type=2 

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Rockowheel
Wednesday, February 6, 2013 5:14:20 PM
That's right, forgot when it was named "Big Beast"....Awesome Michigan history site, thanks for the links.
Bowler Roller
Thursday, February 7, 2013 3:34:17 PM
I miss Boblo Island, and the Boblo boats.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:14:00 PM
Was that Boblo Island Zugspitz the open top Himalaya that Wayne Thompson had with Strates in 1977? We had 3 Himalaya's on the midway at Hamburg, NY that year. Thompson's Himalaya, the Zugspitz and Bob Rice's old Polar Express which may have been run by Clyde Mulligan by then.
Also had a Swiss Bob on the midway that year.
skydiver77
Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:49:42 PM
Nice pictures of Bob-Lo in that link! From the aerial view, it looked like the way the state of Florida is shaped a little. Looks like they had some nice, fun rides to ride & look at, at that park.