thunderbolt85
Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:51:47 AM
Here is some pretty good footage of a Saturn Six that I thought you all might like to see.

80meterwheelman
Thursday, September 5, 2013 1:00:50 PM
Always liked the Saturn 6. Todays Hurricane is similar but, the ride experience on the Saturn 6 is more intense. If I was still on the show trail, I'd put one out there and I'm sure it would make $$$.
Doing nothing is tiresome because you can't stop to rest.
IndianaTED
Thursday, September 5, 2013 3:53:32 PM
Originally Posted by: 80meterwheelman 

Always liked the Saturn 6. Todays Hurricane is similar but, the ride experience on the Saturn 6 is more intense. If I was still on the show trail, I'd put one out there and I'm sure it would make $$$.

I agree. So now the obvious question...why aren't they still produced?
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
80meterwheelman
Friday, September 6, 2013 5:03:48 PM
Good question. Only thing I can think of would be rider safety. Those tubs swung on a huge arc with only a lap bar for security which wasn't all that snug. I remember as a teenager having to brace myself to keep from moving around during the ride cycle. With the availability of todays restraint technology, it would be much safer but, it would take some serious $$$ to refurbish and tweak an old one. Still, a 1 trailer ride with decent capacity dressed out with LED's, fog, etc., it would be killer. I know I've toyed with the idea but...
Flying Coaster
Friday, September 6, 2013 9:19:05 PM
Do the newer Dartron type Hurricanes do well winning the $$ ?
All Skywheels should be yeller.
punkboysa18
Saturday, September 7, 2013 1:29:43 AM
I haven't seen a hurricane or even the newer downdraft ever take much in. I really always liked the hurricane, except when one sets up right next to you. Lol
80meterwheelman
Saturday, September 7, 2013 6:27:50 AM
Originally Posted by: Flying Coaster 

Do the newer Dartron type Hurricanes do well winning the $$ ?

I believe that would depend on several factors such as the show size and the type of event being played. For example, it could pay its way at a small county fair or festival with 10 to 20 rides but at a state fair with lots of big iron, leave it on the trailer and take the week off. A Cliffhanger would be a better choice. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, comparing a Saturn 6 to a Hurricane is like comparing a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder to a Corvette.
Flying Coaster
Saturday, September 7, 2013 1:16:20 PM
MBGS use to bring in a Hurricane, seemed to do pretty well. It was always on the must ride list when I'd go hit the midway back in the day.

jimb
  •  jimb
  • 52.34% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Saturday, September 7, 2013 3:52:25 PM
Hurricanes do well in the Midwest, especially here in Ohio.
Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, September 7, 2013 4:26:35 PM
Our Saturn 6 does ok
Wish I could convert it to air...
My albums are all on Facebook!
Flying Coaster
Sunday, September 8, 2013 3:09:51 AM
Originally Posted by: Greg 

Our Saturn 6 does ok

Convert it to air from what?
squirrel
Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:38:04 AM
Originally Posted by: Greg 

Our Saturn 6 does ok

Your guys' Saturn just needs a proper momentum drive that freewheels like they used to --
The air is not that big of a bonus - trust me...

Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, September 8, 2013 12:00:25 PM
The Saturn 6 uses a hydrolic ram & a big chain to yank the tubs up in the air... There is a built in slip clutch to create the freewheeling & a large accumulator tank filled with nitrogen to cushion the oil so the chain doesn't break
My albums are all on Facebook!
JustJeff
Sunday, September 8, 2013 12:34:29 PM
I seem to recall the Saturn 6 vs.Hurricane debate a few years ago and it seemed like more people liked the Hurricane back then as opposed to now it seems like more like the Saturn 6--(at least those who respond)..

I personally like the Hurricane simply because it is smoother IMO and the Saturn 6 hurt my neck as I tried to keep my head in place during the ride--but I have neck issues anyway so who am I to say?-lol

I set up and tore down and operated a Hurricane,and they are a fun ride to run.Not too bad to set up/tear down.Never touched a Saturn 6 except to ride 3 times...jeff
geewizz66
Sunday, September 8, 2013 8:53:01 PM
We had a Saturn 6 for several years. They are a hydraulic nightmare at times but the ride did well. The biggest issue, our season is 45 weeks per year, was the the bushings in the crown and sweeps. Every other year we had to have the bushings replaced, they were heliarc'd out and re-welded them back in. Each sweep has two pins top and bottom. The Sweep slid into the crown where a larger tube was connected to the center and then the two pins were put in. The action was pretty intense and those bushings would wear out - not a big deal but the FIRST time we found out what was going on - it was one of those "holy crap" moments that we get out here sometimes.

The nitrogen bladder in the hydraulic tank was a pain to have to check and we had to replace that a couple of times. Again - when the sweeps come down BANG into the track around the center - it's an eye opener. We bought ours from Jerry Wisdom and there were no books, fortunately Frank Sutton was available to talk to and we learned more about that ride from him than anyone.

The seats have pretty high backs but if your a taller person you did get that "whip" feeling as it came down around and back up again.

I've heard that some of them had diesel motors on them and that it "gassed" people out when they rode it.

We sold ours' off to Mexico and last I heard they loved the ride.

Geewizz66