Randy D.
  •  Randy D.
  • 52.04% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:32:43 PM
Yesterday,I stopped by the Illinois State Fair Grounds and looks like the same ride line up as last year. NAME's Astro Unit along with Tinsley's Amusement providing the rides in two different locations. The equipment always looks great but do think they are light on Spectaculars for a State Fair.

Adventure Village location: (17 rides mainly Tinsley's Amusement)
Pharoah's Fury
Tilt A Whirl
Scrambler
Eli Wheel
Scooter
Spider
Zumer
Euro Bungie
Carousel
Mardi Gras
Dragon Wagon
Up,Up,and Away
Helicopters
Berry Go Round
Jumping Jumbos
Hampton Motorcycles
Hampton Combo

The Big State Fair Slide, Train, and Sky Glider are also in this area.

Main Midway: (34 rides mainly NAME's Astro Amusements)
Century Wheel
Freak Out
Rainbow
Ring of Fire
Wisdom Hymalaya
Orbiter
YOYO
Avalance
Starship
Sizzler
Tilt A Whirl
Pharoah's Fury
Scooter
Tornado
Round Up
Euro Bungie
Carousel
Mardi Gras
Crystal Castle
Rainbow Rock
Fun Slide
Wacky Mouse
Free Fall
Peter and Paul
Circus Train
Dragon Wagon
Mini Hymalya
Wiggle Worm
Construction Zone
Mini Jets
Safari Rescue
Speedway
Hampton Boats
Hampton Dune Buggies

The Mini Hymalya has to be one of the best kiddie rides out there. This ride has the sides and top just like the adult version.
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:30:29 PM
Are the wristbands taken on both midways or are they separate charge?
RodB
thunderbolt85
Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:38:02 PM
Yeah, surprised that they only have one single trailer music ride in there and just a Century Wheel.

Do music rides not good at this location?
Randy D.
  •  Randy D.
  • 52.04% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Thursday, August 8, 2013 1:41:19 PM
The wristbands or Mega passes are good for both locations but do exclude the Giant Slide and Sky Glider. This fair could do well with more music rides but alot of NAME's Spectaculars are at the Indiana State Fair at the same time. I know Indiana's State Fair is longer so assuming the ride gross must be better there so they give it a better ride line up. Illinois had a real good line up back in the days of Link Shows.
Rockowheel
Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:34:35 PM
I have many, many great memories of when Olson played the fair in Happy Hollow. Looking down onto the midway at night was like another world. Have some great 8mm movies from the 60s. In 1993 the midway the 'hollow' commemorated the 100th anniversary of the Ferris Wheel, with several models both operating and non operating. And to think for several years there would be Royal American playing the Milwaukee fair simultaneously. The best of both worlds.
Flying Coaster
Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:41:52 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Yeah, surprised that they only have one single trailer music ride in there and just a Century Wheel.

Do music rides not good at this location?

Not when you don't bring them.

All Skywheels should be yeller.
chuck
  •  chuck
  • 62.8% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:56:46 PM
Doesn't the Indiana State Fair happen at the same time? Any other big dates happening in Canada currently? Maybe Springfield isn't a happening place for spectaculars.
Flying Coaster
Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:00:35 PM
Originally Posted by: chuck 

Doesn't the Indiana State Fair happen at the same time? Any other big dates happening in Canada currently? Maybe Springfield isn't a happening place for spectaculars.

Sky Wheel used to run full loads for days, same with the Flying Bobs and Super Himi, Diver, Kamikaze, etc.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
tiltcharles
Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:17:10 PM
If you look all over that part of the world there are no shows anywhere with big pieces for that fair. Most any of the shows around there would do the same job as name.
chuck
  •  chuck
  • 62.8% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:37:14 PM
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, and any other big dates going on at the same time would limit availability.
thunderbolt85
Friday, August 9, 2013 8:18:47 AM
Maybe NAME should invest in a couple more "big" music rides....of course just my opinion.

I know they wouldn't buy more of them for just one spot, or they could book them in.

tiltcharles
Saturday, August 10, 2013 1:40:34 AM
I say it over and over again but NAME is usually average at best. I don't dislike them and I have friends that work there.
Pizzagod
Saturday, August 10, 2013 8:01:01 AM
Here comes Pizzagod to ruin the conversation...

There is not a lot of space given the midway at Springfield. It's a beautiful fairgrounds, no argument there, but the lot space is relatively small. The big rides are great but they are big (duh) and physically it's impossible to put some of them in and still satisfy the required number of attractions called for in the contract.

That's the simple answer, and while I hate to ruin the speculation, there isn't anything more to it. Compare that to Hutchinson in September-it's like the lot is double the size (and golly, what sits smack dab in the center? Why it's the Flume!). You can only fit so many pieces in a given space.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, August 10, 2013 11:10:38 AM
Originally Posted by: Scott 

Oh not true; Miller could produce a 80 foot wheel, Zierer Wave Swinger, Reverchon Himalaya, Fabri Eclipes, Thunder Bolt, Hi Roller, Ring of Fire, Rainbow, Drop Tower, Majestic Xtreme; (rare ride)Pharaohs Fury, Screamer, Quasar ( rare) Scooter, Orbitor, along with all the majors i.e. Wipeout, scram, tilt, spider, tornado, Plus otehers. If they booked any others in... it would make them that much more stronger.

NAME units are watered down... I wouldn't be surprised if some fairs arn't aready calling around looking for a better layout. St. Paul, Milwaukee Tampa Del Mar they all know what's out there and what their neighbor fairs midway looks like. The grass is always greener on the other fairs midway.

The routes that NAME travels are far greater than any of the shows out there. It all comes down to numbers. No one here has provided any number as a comparison to prove what out grosses what. Its all personal opinion. Every year I read this same topic of people bashing Springfield/NAME but no one produces numbers or facts; just opinons. In a business as such its all about service and NAME provides it.

Does an average rider know the difference of 80' wheel vs 65' century; NO. Does average rider know the difference of Huss Rainbow vs ARM; NO. Wave Swinger vs YoYo; NO....and so on... These are all opinions, unless you have a midway like Tampa where there is 3 of every ride, the general public does not know the difference. NAME is about service and Lean processes which has put them in front of the competition.
tiltcharles
Saturday, August 10, 2013 12:34:50 PM
I respectfully disagree that they are ahead of the competition. RCS, Wade, Powers, and many others blow them away.