johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, July 22, 2013 1:14:21 AM
I can't believe there has been nothing on here about this. Is it automatically censored?

There have been many marches and protests about the case, but what if it's true the kid was out for a fight? Has anybody thought about that? He was 6'2", Zimmerman was 5'7". What if Zimmerman is telling the truth, the kid went after him? They keep showing a picture of a kid but it's an old picture. He was a lot bigger when he got shot. If a bigger more fit person comes after me they will get shot if I can get to one of my guns.

Here is an interesting article I read:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/354769 

Here is the text if there is a problem with the link:

Trayvon Martin claimed in a text message to be a gangsta. We should take him at his word and see if that had any role in his death.
Was Trayvon Martin a Gangsta?
Trayvon Martin was a gangsta. How do we know? That’s a title he claimed for himself in a text message. Trayvon Martin fit the profile of a gangsta fairly well. A “gangsta” or perhaps “wannabe gangsta” in the case of Trayvon Martin is variously defined by the following factors, characteristics or criteria:
Wannabe thug : Trayvon Martin talked about fighting in some of his last text messages and according to the evidence at the Zimmerman trial was acting like a thug on the night of his death, because he attacked George Zimmerman after Zimmerman lost sight of Trayvon Martin.

Age : At age 17, Martin had entered the age and gender cohort, with high testosterone levels, that commits a disproportionate share of the violent, theft and drug crimes in America. Zimmerman had reached age 28, the age at which the human brain on the average reaches maximum development, at the end of that same crime-prevalent cohort.
Male Gender : Gangstas are young men. 93% of incarcerated prisoners in America are male.

Less Education : Martin had disciplinary problems in high school, was not an enthusiastic student, and was well on his way to being a high school dropout. At the time of his death, Trayvon Martin was serving his third school suspension, because they found a marijuana pipe and a bag with marijuana residue in it. Statistically, an African American male who drops out of high school has a 60% chance of winding up in prison.

Anti-Social : A screwdriver and ladies jewelry were found in Trayvon Martin’s back-pack by school authorities, suggesting he was involved in theft or burglary offenses. One of the most significant factors correlated with a lower crime rate is being married. Zimmerman was married and had a job; Trayvon Martin was unmarried, did not have a job and was suspended from school. Zimmerman was in communication with the police; previous to his death, Trayvon Martin complained about the police.

Gangs : Hangs around gangs. We do not know if Trayvon Martin was in a gang, but he had tattoos. Immediately before his death, Trayvon Martin’s mother kicked him out of her house and made him go live with his father. Neither parent was sure where he was the night of the shooting, nor did they file any missing person reports. They found out the next day.

African-American subculture : Trayvon Martin was an African American aspiring to or reaching the gangsta subculture.
Places graffiti on buildings : This is one reason why Trayvon Martin was suspended from school on one occasion.
Uses and/or sells drugs : His text messages praised marijuana smoking and THC metabolites were found in his body during the autopsy. Two of the items he purchased at the grocery store the night of his death were considered ingredients for Purple Drank, a dangerous concoction made with cough syrup, Arizona Tea and Skittles (or other candy). He was interested in codeine. Trace elements of other drugs were also found in the toxicological analysis. A photo of a small potted marijuana plant was found on Trayvon Martin’s cell phone. Trayvon Martin may or may not have been smoking marijuana in his posted photographs. As stated above, one of his school suspensions was for having a marijuana pipe and a bag with marijuana residue in it.

Macho & “Bad” Image : Trayvon Martin referred to women by the “b” word and otherwise demonstrated a gangsta image. His Facebook and other internet photos showed someone shooting birds at the camera, not smiling, with his shirt off, smoking, and otherwise posing in the macho-man bad-ass role. Trayvon Martin appears to have acted in response to the status challenge of Zimmerman, a typical scenario for shootings and deaths involving young men.

Violent : Trayvon Martin’s cell phone texts revealed a history of fighting and a propensity for violence. The prosecution objected to the text messages and they were excluded. Martin admitted in a text message that he’s a “gangsta.” Martin’s older half-brother wanted Trayvon Martin to teach him, the older half-brother, how to fight. All the physical evidence shows that Martin was the aggressor, as does the account of George Zimmerman. Martin did not retreat to his father’s residence as he could have, but instead went back to look for trouble. Zimmerman of course should have stayed in his car. George Zimmerman’s nose and head showed signs of being struck by an enraged, physically developed Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman was diagnosed with a closed fracture of his nose, two black eyes, lacerations to the back of his head, a minor back injury, and bruising in his upper lip and cheek. Other than the bullet hole, Martin’s corpse only had a small abrasion on his left ring finger below the knuckle, the exact place where an injury would be on a fighting fist. By all accounts, there was fighting before the gunshot that killed Trayvon Martin. An escalating series of events characterizes most fist-fights and assaults and many homicides.

Absence of Religion : This absence runs like a thread through gangsta rap, gangsta culture and gangsta behavior. This is something the ministers who praise his character ought to consider.

Owns or admires weapons : Trayvon Martin articulated an interest in obtaining a gun. A picture of a gun was found on Trayvon Martin’s cell phone. According to Zimmerman, Trayvon Martin said he would use Zimmerman’s gun on Zimmerman. In one text message, when Trayvon Martin said he was a gangsta, his friend advised him not to take a bullet in his chest – and of course that’s exactly what ended up happening to Trayvon Martin.

Trayvon Martin did not have every characteristic of a gangsta, but he was well on his way at the time of his death. These gangsta leanings help explain his death. The escalating series of events on the night of this death, involving two aggressive young men, was unfortunately more typical of shooting deaths than Trayvon Martin’s cause celebre status suggests. The Zimmerman Trial generates debate about the social ills of our country. One thing is clear: The death of Trayvon Martin was about much more than mere skin color. The protestations of racism conceal deeper social problems we see clearly in the gangsta culture.

http://www.digitaljourna...cle/354769#ixzz2ZkR1GPYe 
Benjibear
Monday, July 22, 2013 6:34:39 AM
America in general can't have open discussions because most people have their brains programmed by the media. They are not able to view any issues from all sides before making any opinions. Once they make that opinion, there is nothing that can change their opinion.

As far as Zimmerman and Martin, I don't think Trayvon was the picture of innocence that the media and the marchers have been trying to portray. The night in question, I don't think he was up to anything sinister. George followed him and unless there is some evidence that I am not aware of, Zimmerman wasn't forced out of his truck so I have to believe he confronted Martin. I think Trayvon may have felt threatened by someone trying to follow him. He wasn't afraid to fight (possibly gangsta) and somehow they got into it.

Trayvon didn't need to die and I can understand the outrage that Zimmerman got off. I think he should have been found guilty of at least manslaughter. This entire case is very sad and somehow in articles like you posted, people want to justify that it was right for Trayvon to die. It doesn't really matter because we will never know what Trayvon Martins future will be.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Bowler Roller
Monday, July 22, 2013 7:31:05 PM
He started a fight and lost.

I've hard no evidence that suggests it happened any way other than how Zimmerman claimed.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Skywheelrider
Monday, July 22, 2013 11:27:13 PM
There are far too many people who wanted Zimmerman convicted of a crime without a trial, ie, in the court of public opinion. There are far too many people who will not accept the jury verdict and still want him convicted of something, anything. I look at it this way, the only two people that know exactly what happened at the beginning of their confrontation are Martin and Zimmerman; he was charged, went to trial in front of jury selected by both the defense and prosecution, and after all of the evidence and testimony, they made their verdict. From reading testimony, seeing what I could of the trial, I believe the prosecution failed to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt and the correct verdict was arrived at by the jury. I was never part of the crowd that wanted him convicted without a trial, and I am happy that we have the judicial system we have, and it works, either way the verdict could have gone.

He will never live a normal life, someone will always be 'out to get him' in some way. After the report was made today that he helped people whose car had crashed, those that wanted him convicted immediately started yelling it was 'fake' or 'staged.' Give it up already!

My question is this, to those that wanted him convicted without a trial, in the court of public opinion, why? We have a constitutionally protected judicial system, and he was charged, had a trial in front of a jury. Why does that bother so many people? Do they not care about our Constitutional rights? Heaven forbid something like this happens to them, a friend, or family member.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
Monday, July 22, 2013 11:51:24 PM
I agree most of the time people don't change their minds. This time I did. I thought Zimmerman was wrong until I learned more. The mainstream media wants to make him guilty.

No, he didn't have to get out of his truck. But if there was a crime problem in the area, I would keep an eye on somebody I don't know. The kid should have gone about his business, not started a fight. It's that simple.

Benjibear
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:48:30 AM
Yes, we do have a constitution and he did have his day in court. The prosecution did a poor job of convincing the jury. There still may a civil trial and Zimmerman's life has changed because of it.

At first, I didn't care and wasn't following the case. It wasn't until the jury decision was made that I looked into why people were getting so emotional for the case. The more I learned, the more I came disturbed about this case. I can understand why people are upset. It is a complex issue and I wouldn't be able to explain it here.

Zimmerman should have never gotten out of his truck. He probably shouldn't have followed him. If Zimmerman felt threatened he could have drove away. If Zimmerman didn't want a fight he could have drove away. He had choices and the the result of his choices has caused the death of Martin.

Picture yourself in Martin's shoes. Walking home with Skittles and an Ice Tea. A man is watching you. You go towards him to check him out. You get scared and run away. You think you lost him but he follows you. He gets out of his truck and comes towards you. Wouldn't you feel threatened and fight?

This is just my interpretation and opinion on what happened.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:24:38 PM
Several points to ponder here. Most of it points to a media driven verdict of guilty.

1. Why does the media persist in using and old pic of Martin instead of a current one?
2. The media released Zimmerman's history but has been almost silent on Martin's.
3. Why was Martin's history not allowed in court?
4. Why is not repeated of Martin's unprovoked attack on a bus driver?
5. Why is it not noted of Martin having burglary tools and jewelry found as Martin's possessions?
6. What was the nation talking about? The IRS, Benghazi, the NSA or Martin?
7. Where is the reporting of innocent kids being killed in cities like Chicago?
8. Would we be talking about this if Martin knew Zimmerman had a firearm?

There is a problem and it spreads far from Martin to all races. The problem is the erosion of the family unit. How many kids are born to a mother not married or committed long term relationship with the dad in the home? The sad part is our govt not only condones this conduct but enables it. Need proof? What message is sent to young kids if the court allows a girl of any age to buy the morning after pill over the counter without parental approval? How about abortion on demand with no questions asked as to age or who the partner was? Then the reward of welfare and all that goes with it with no accountability, responsibility or stigma attached? That should be the conversation.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:00:54 PM
I've been in Martins shoes many times, growing up poor in a rich neighborhood. Even now in my late 40's, I'm watched when I walk around my neighborhood late at night. The difference is that I never attacked the watchmen.

Zimmerman got out of his truck, because Martin was walking between the back yards where trucks can't drive.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:59:48 PM
Originally Posted by: Benjibear 

Zimmerman should have never gotten out of his truck. He probably shouldn't have followed him. If Zimmerman felt threatened he could have drove away. If Zimmerman didn't want a fight he could have drove away. He had choices and the the result of his choices has caused the death of Martin.

Picture yourself in Martin's shoes. Walking home with Skittles and an Ice Tea. A man is watching you. You go towards him to check him out. You get scared and run away. You think you lost him but he follows you. He gets out of his truck and comes towards you. Wouldn't you feel threatened and fight?

This is just my interpretation and opinion on what happened.

I might feel threatened, but why does it have to be a fight? You ask them what's the problem, and clear it up. I grew up on the road and have been profiled many times. It's no biggie, carnies have earned the image. Just talk to the one who is profiling and most of the time they come around. Really. If they don't you at least get to walk away.
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:53:17 PM
Some well thought out points and observations I have read today on this subject, from both sides of the table.

If only the rest of the nation could set down and talk like this and work through things how different of a nation we would be. While I will agree that sometimes each side might have to make a stand on something based on personal beliefs we get no where with "sensation" selling, and certain characters running around the nation trying to "sell" problems so they can profit.

And its funny, the rest of the nation (a lot, but not all) looks on carnies with a "bad" eye. Maybe carnies should run the nation.
WestCoastPat
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 5:49:24 PM
YOU MEAN THEY DON'T?
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
thunderbolt85
Monday, July 29, 2013 3:28:30 PM
Originally Posted by: WestCoastPat 

YOU MEAN THEY DON'T?

No as much as I wished they don't . The only problem I would have with carnies would be when they wanted to drop old classic multi-trailer states. LOL