skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 10:43:02 PM
I remember back in the late 80's / early 90's, seeing quite a few Flying Bobs with those ski rail decals underneath the Flying Bobs' cars. Tolve' Presentations' Flying Bobs had 'em, Strates' Bobs had 'em, and i'm sure other Flying Bobs had them as well. I always thought those decals dressed up the Flying Bobs' cars underneath. I'm sure over the years, they came off from setting the ride up & tear down time. I remember seeing Hildebrand's Flying Bobs at Carolina Beach last summer, but don't remember if those ski rail decals were underneath their Bobs cars or not..i can't remember. But i do remember how minty looking their Flying Bobs was AND with the tent. lol A Bobs without the tent looks naked / not right, but, come tear down time, it does make it easier to get down, no doubt about that.
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, July 3, 2013 11:44:55 PM
"Tent?" LOL IMHO though there are a lot of Bobs/Matterhorn type rides with no top that look fantastic. Just look at many of them over in Britain, for example. And PGAM's Bobs....they look great.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Benjibear
Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:32:51 PM
Anyone have any pictures of what the decals looked like?

As far as the tops on rides, I don't think it looks right without one. I think it could be an advantage if you have daytime spots where people want to get in out of the sun and when it is raining but you need to stay open. Is that worth the extra time to move? I can't answer that but in my opinion it looks better with one on.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
80meterwheelman
Friday, July 5, 2013 10:24:08 AM
Speaking of chop-top music rides, Elliott's himi deserves some recognition. Nice retro touches with the exterior mounted wheels and wood slat flooring. Not a Matterhorn-type ride motion but, himis do gross more and, in the end, it's all about the $$$. Very well done.
Doing nothing is tiresome because you can't stop to rest.
IndianaTED
Friday, July 5, 2013 1:57:23 PM
Old School for me...gotta have the top to look right.

But I would rather have an open-air one than none at all.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Skywheelrider
Friday, July 5, 2013 3:05:21 PM
Here are some examples of topless Bobs' and Himalaya's from the U.K. I did not take any of these photos obviously, they are all available to see at Facebook and I saved them just to have them in my personal collection to view. If anyone who took any of these wishes them removed, I will do so. But these are some great examples of really nice looking rides with no tops!

Skywheelrider attached the following image(s):

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Skywheelrider
Friday, July 5, 2013 3:08:10 PM
And a few more....

Skywheelrider
Friday, July 5, 2013 3:14:57 PM
My personal favorite, one I loosely based a model ride on....

mikecroaro
Saturday, July 6, 2013 2:12:16 PM
[img]http://[/img]Greetings:

I think the "ski rails" the original poster is referring to are to keep the bottom of the tub from being scratched up while sitting on the gound. The same "rails" are often seen on the bottom of Sky Diver tubs.

Mike
[img]null[/img][img]null[/img]
Stephen F.
Monday, July 8, 2013 2:30:16 AM
Power's Amusements (the real one) has a topless Chance Flying Bobs. It's designed to look simmilar to the British bob rides. I saw it at the Allentown PA fair ~5 years ago. I have several photos of it. If I knew how to upload them here I'd do it.
File Attachment(s):
100_6309.JPG (498kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
Stephen F. attached the following image(s):
BeauceCarnavalMan
Monday, July 8, 2013 10:35:14 AM
All those pics are reminding me of Beauce's old Music Fest
BeauceCarnavalMan
crazy dance
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:56:30 PM
i like the trailblazer pic! a old sobema himmy, those thing go real fast! wish there was more in united states
skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:11:26 PM
No, i'm not talking about those rail-like pieces like under the Sky Diver cars or Flying Bobs cars, but something else. They were ski decals that replicated actual skis like a snowmobile would have up front of it, or an actual sled / sleigh in the snow. When the Flying Bobs cars would "fly" up over the hills, you would see them underneath the cars. Tolve Presentations' Bobs had them in 1988 at the Mule Days carnival, and i think Strates' Bobs had them underneath their Bobs cars at the '91 NC State Fair back then. The replica skis decals were just an added feature to give the cars more realistic-feel to them, to give riders like they were riding real sled cars with a snow theme around the ride. Powers' topless Bobs does look good, but i'm sold on Hildebrand's Flying Bobs. lol [:o)] I mean, have you guys & gals seen Hildebrands' Bobs? Wow! Looks MINT! They must take really good care of it, and yes, it has the top to it.
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 5:23:19 PM
Originally Posted by: skydiver77 

No, i'm not talking about those rail-like pieces like under the Sky Diver cars or Flying Bobs cars, but something else. They were ski decals that replicated actual skis like a snowmobile would have up front of it, or an actual sled / sleigh in the snow. When the Flying Bobs cars would "fly" up over the hills, you would see them underneath the cars. Tolve Presentations' Bobs had them in 1988 at the Mule Days carnival, and i think Strates' Bobs had them underneath their Bobs cars at the '91 NC State Fair back then. The replica skis decals were just an added feature to give the cars more realistic-feel to them, to give riders like they were riding real sled cars with a snow theme around the ride. Powers' topless Bobs does look good, but i'm sold on Hildebrand's Flying Bobs. lol [:o)] I mean, have you guys & gals seen Hildebrands' Bobs? Wow! Looks MINT! They must take really good care of it, and yes, it has the top to it.

It's actually Robbie Megerle's Flying Bobs. Saw it last November in Margate, Florida, it has been refurbished since the last time I saw it a few years ago.

britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:14:42 PM

Robbie runs a good operation on that bobs. crew always calling the crowd in. noticed his hang ten is listed on used rides or maybe they are just using his pic.