britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:14:03 PM

Was reading online on the Sun News site that B&C might have rides back at the pavilion froma Florida based company, Strates shows. would be great to see rides, games and concessons back in that big vacant hole in Myrtle Beach. link as that site has become a subscription site which is a bummer but you can read the headlines. www.myrtlebeachonline.com 
crazyspin
Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:29:25 AM
I'm assuming this is a different spot then what Hildebrand/Mengerle play over the summer?
thunderbolt85
Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:22:53 AM
Yes, its a different spot from Hildebrand, but I wonder how Strates is going to do that with those other big spots going on at the same time....if this happens, but I am sure they have it figured out already.

Would be nice though to have rides back in there and Strates Shows to boot.
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:50:53 AM
Originally Posted by: crazyspin 

I'm assuming this is a different spot then what Hildebrand/Mengerle play over the summer?

Hildebrand is in the Ocean Drive section of North Myrtle Beach.

Jackpotter
Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:05:59 AM
Four acres...hmmm...so probably a dozen or so rides along with 8-10 games and food joints. Just enough to have something there it sounds like.

Brit, years ago...what carnival had the rides at the old Amusement Park up in North Myrtle Beach? There was a small wooden roller coaster there which was a classic little coaster, but most all the rides were portable and you could tell they were moved in an out during the off season (or so it appeared). There would be a couple different rides there yearly. It sat right on the corner, I believe a shopping center with a Kroger is there now.

And, at the now Family Kingdom, didn't Larry's Amusements provide most of the rides there except the actual Swamp Fox? I can remember buying ride tickets there and they said Larry's Amsusements....

Seems like MYB has a history of carnivals setting up for the summer....

I still think getting rid of the Pavilion was one of the dumbest moves ever.....
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:19:46 AM
Jackpotter, that would be Royce Green. Carnival was there for summer and then played some fairs and other spots in the fall. he now has an amusement business with the quarter rides in stores, jukeboxes, pool tables, etc. cannot remember the company name, rosemary maybe? sold that lot to Kroger stores and they also own property across the street from Magic Kingdom. Cannot answer about Larry' Amusements there but that was L. D. Wheelers show I think. really nice show back in it's day.
Discjo
Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:17:47 AM
Here Tis the article

MYRTLE BEACH — Rides and games could return to the old Myrtle Beach Pavilion Amusement Park site this summer if a proposal from a Florida company wins city approval.Representatives from Orlando-based Strates Shows submitted an application this week to the Special Events Technical Review Committee proposing a summer-long event that would feature rides, games and concessions from June 8 to Sept. 6.The property has sat mostly vacant since the Pavilion was demolished by owners Burroughs & Chapin in 2006. The carnival is proposed to sit on a four-acre portion of the Pavilion grounds next to Adrenaline Adventures Zip Line, which opened on part of the site last April.The application included a letter from Patrick Walsh, senior vice president with B&C, who said he has been negotiating with Strates Shows to bring the carnival to the Pavilion property.“We would appreciate your consideration and support and allowing this attraction to take place on the aforementioned site for this summer,” he wrote in the letter.In its application, Strates Shows said the carnival would operate from 10 a.m. to midnight. It was which days the carnival would operate. Representatives from Strates Shows were not available to comment as of press time.Downtown Redevelopment Corp. Executive Director David Sebok said he believes some businesses will benefit from having the carnival nearby and others will view it as competition.“It’s private property – Burroughs & Chapin,” he said. “They’re always looking for interim uses that would be family friendly and attract people to the downtown area.”Sebok said it was hard to tell whether putting a carnival on the site of the former Pavilion Amusement Park would be accepted by customers.“There is so much history and there is so much nostalgia – who knows how people are going to react?” he said, adding that it’s been nearly seven years since the Pavilion was torn down and many visitors may not have memories of the amusement park.“I don’t think it should be looked at as replacing the Pavilion Amusement Park,” Sebok said. “It’s a temporary use. It’s not ultimately the best use of that very valuable property to have a carnival there three months out of the year.”On Jan. 1, B&C reclaimed use of the Pavilion Parking Garage, located at the corner of Kings Highway and Ninth Avenue North. The DRC previously leased the garage from B&C. Strates listed use of the garage under the question concerning parking requirements on the city’s application.In a November meeting of stakeholders discussing the Myrtle Beach boardwalk’s development and future, Steve Warner, senior vice president of capital strategies and investments for B&C, said the company is looking at taking 2.2 acres closest to the ocean and developing some type of attraction.The company leases the 11 acres once occupied by the Pavilion.“We’ll probably build something on the entertainment side,” Warner said.He said nothing would happen for at least a few years and shared no details other than knowing the company is looking at putting something there.The carnival would sit on the piece of property located across Ocean Boulevard.Strates Shows is a family company founded in 1923, according to the company’s website. The show typically travels the country by train during a seven-month season, transporting about 400 employees and equipment with 61 rail cars and 34 trucks, according to the website.According to their website, the Strates Shows is scheduled to appear in North Brunswick, N.J., as well as Middletown, Elmira, Hamburg and Syracuse, N.Y., during the timeframe proposed in the application with Myrtle Beach.Representatives from the show presented their application at Wednesday’s Special Events Technical Review Committee meeting. Myrtle Beach fire Battalion Chief Bruce Arnel, who serves on the committee, said he did not attend Wednesday’s meeting, but expected the committee to discuss the event for the next few weeks before deciding if they would send it to the City Council for approval.If approved, Strates Shows proposed to begin setting up as early as May 27.

http://www.myrtlebeachon...ormer.html#storylink=cpy 
Jackpotter
Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:33:03 AM
Originally Posted by: britt 

Jackpotter, that would be Royce Green. Carnival was there for summer and then played some fairs and other spots in the fall. he now has an amusement business with the quarter rides in stores, jukeboxes, pool tables, etc. cannot remember the company name, rosemary maybe? sold that lot to Kroger stores and they also own property across the street from Magic Kingdom. Cannot answer about Larry' Amusements there but that was L. D. Wheelers show I think. really nice show back in it's day.

What was the name of Royce Green's show?

Wasn't that park called Sun Fun Amusement Park?

britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:35:27 AM

the Sun Fun park was in the Ocean Drive section. smaller wooden coaster than that of swamp Fox. do not know the name of green's show. that was back a few decades ago. lol some of the old timers on here might know.
Jackpotter
Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:04:06 PM
Originally Posted by: britt 

the Sun Fun park was in the Ocean Drive section. smaller wooden coaster than that of swamp Fox. do not know the name of green's show. that was back a few decades ago. lol some of the old timers on here might know.

The Sun Fun Park is the one I was referring to with the smaller wooden coaster...that little coaster was so much fun....there towards the end of the life of that park they'd give you three or four runs on it per ride...

I can remember an Octopus, Swings and several other classic rides there. We always stayed in the Windy Hill section back when we first started going to the Beach (1976) and it was always easier to go to Sun Fun than Pavilion. We'd make three or four trips to Sun Fun and one to the Pavilion...and rarely would we get to Grand Strand (now Family Kingdom). Then somewhere around 86 or 87 the place just exploded with tourism and the crowds were so humoungous everywhere that it became a hassle to even go to the Pavilion.
thunderbolt85
Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:39:47 PM
Originally Posted by: Jackpotter 

The Sun Fun Park is the one I was referring to with the smaller wooden coaster...that little coaster was so much fun....there towards the end of the life of that park they'd give you three or four runs on it per ride...

I can remember an Octopus, Swings and several other classic rides there. We always stayed in the Windy Hill section back when we first started going to the Beach (1976) and it was always easier to go to Sun Fun than Pavilion. We'd make three or four trips to Sun Fun and one to the Pavilion...and rarely would we get to Grand Strand (now Family Kingdom). Then somewhere around 86 or 87 the place just exploded with tourism and the crowds were so humoungous everywhere that it became a hassle to even go to the Pavilion.

I remember going by the Sun Fun Park one time as a kid. Remember seeing a "Holiday Bounce" which I think was a Tip Top or Bubble Bounce. Remember a Ferris Wheel, but not much else.

Jackpotter
Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:49:35 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

I remember going by the Sun Fun Park one time as a kid. Remember seeing a "Holiday Bounce" which I think was a Tip Top or Bubble Bounce. Remember a Ferris Wheel, but not much else.

It wasn't anything huge...maybe 12-15 rides total...a few game trailers...but it was never crowded and it was pretty inexpensive.
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
Friday, April 19, 2013 10:45:42 AM

looks like the city council might not approve of the amusement rides. that is a shame as that area needs something. www.myrtlebeachonline.com 

skydiver77
Friday, April 19, 2013 5:06:29 PM
I remember in the late 80's / early 90's on the way to our hotel in south Myrtle seeing some carnival rides in North Myrtle on the right side of the road coming from North Carolina. Anyway, i remembered seeing a Scat, Cobra, & other rides. The other rides i don't remember all that great as i was only 8 or 9 at the time. I think i do remember seeing that wooden coaster you're talking about though. But the only rides i'm seeing fresh in my mind are the Scat & Cobra, along with others. Most likely that Ferris Wheel you're also talking about, and it was in the front or back of the park, can't remember.
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
Monday, April 22, 2013 11:18:28 PM

no carnival in myrtle beach. Strates decided not to pursue the adventure. www.myrtlebeachonline.com