r1981474
  •  r1981474
  • 53.96% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:16:44 PM
Giant Wheel

Never heard of Becker. Is this the wheel that you could turn the gondolas?
Matt C.
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:24:44 PM
Looks like it. Zachinni had one that looked almost identical at his park in Wisconsin Dells for a few years. The park is long gone now, but I believe the wheel is on the East Coast.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
rideguyray
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:34:34 PM
Deggeller's Giant wheel is now blue, and its at Knoebels

Follow me on Facebook at Ray Fendrick
r1981474
  •  r1981474
  • 53.96% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:53:10 PM
Originally Posted by: rideguyray 

When did they rid of it?
Matt C.
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:15:12 PM
Originally Posted by: rideguyray 

Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Tornado
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:31:28 PM

Yes, I believe the gondolas did spin via a hand wheel (I did ride this wheel once a long time ago).
If you look closely at the picture just under the chain you can see the wheel that was used to turn the gondola. I believe Reithoffer’s Dutch Wheel used to do the same thing? This wheel looked very similar to Reithoffer’s…

Ok so what is the difference between this wheel, Reithoffer’s and the one Conklin used to have? I know Reithoffer’s was built by Kroon and Conklin was built by I believe the same manufacture as Deggellers old wheel? All 3 looked very similar, though Conklin’s did have different looking gondolas.

Also, who is the manufacturer of Strates and RCS’s giant wheels? They both have the enclosed structure vs. the open structure of these.
Tornado
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:35:22 PM

Yes, I believe the gondolas did spin via a hand wheel (I did ride this wheel once a long time ago).
If you look closely at the picture just under the chain you can see the wheel that was used to turn the gondola. I believe Reithoffer’s Dutch Wheel used to do the same thing? This wheel looked very similar to Reithoffer’s…

Ok so what is the difference between this wheel, Reithoffer’s and the one Conklin used to have? I know Reithoffer’s was built by Kroon and Conklin was built by I believe the same manufacture as Deggellers old wheel? All 3 looked very similar, though Conklin’s did have different looking gondolas.

Also, who is the manufacturer of Strates and RCS’s giant wheels? They both have the enclosed structure vs. the open structure of these.
Tornado
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:36:24 PM

Tornado
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:41:00 PM

r1981474
  •  r1981474
  • 53.96% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:43:38 PM
Talking about Conklin. What ever happened to the XS Extreme/Speed Flip?
coasterkeener
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:51:26 PM
I rode this wheel at the Salem Fair in '91-92. I don't think the tubs turned. About '92-93 Deggeller added the Chance Giant Wheel.
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:18:17 PM
Deggeller brought this wheel to Greenville as well (upper SC state fair) for the last three years he had the contract. Rode it all three years and although it might have at one time, the tubs didn't turn then.

I figured he got rid of it to "scale" down a bit and have an easier set up and tear down, but do hate that he got rid of it. Of course kinda hate these Giant Wheels came on the scene because they are part of the reason that the Sky Wheel/Diver's have disappeared.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:29:42 PM
Saw Deggeller Wheel at 1985 OHIO State fair when it was lit only by floodlights. It was all white then. Saw it again at Meadowlands around 1988 when it had been repainted. I'd have to dig out my old slides to see if it had the turbo lights by then.
Benjibear
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:07:34 AM
According to "Knoebels, An Amusement Park with a Heart", the ginat wheel was installed for the 1994 season. Of course it mentioned it was owned by Deggeler Shows and they spell the manufacturer as Bakker which is different than the sign with Becker.

The voltage of 380V on the sign is a European Voltage which was probably 50HZ. I am assuming they had a transformer for 208V to 220/380V but what did they do with the frequency? Of course at 150KW, Deggeler could have had a dedicated generator running at 50Hz just for that ride. I guess the same question would be for any European ride.

Also, the cost to ride at Knoebels is $1.50. Quite a bargain because the last time I rode at a carnival it was at least $5 several years ago.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
80meterwheelman
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 6:32:17 AM
Originally Posted by: Tornado 

Bussink built the wheel for RCS. Not sure about Strates.
Doing nothing is tiresome because you can't stop to rest.