skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:05:44 PM
Who all have ridden the Stinger, and what did or didn't you like about it? Also, do you think it will come to NC eventually? I'd love to ride it one day!
CanobieFan
Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:37:10 PM
I rode it three or four times at the Florida State Fair last year and once this past fair (it closed for rain and never reopened that night....even after the rain ended)

I've posted a on and off ride video of it here on youtube -

It's fun... but they seem to run a short///tame cycle. And even with its already limited capacity at FSF they refused to load all 16 seats! With at least 30 people in the line at all times they would only load 8 seats... And when questioned about it (by someone working the fair!) the rude Op said "you're lucky were even running it on an armband day!"
J-bird
Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:00:49 PM
I rode it at the Georgia National Fair last October. It is an amazing ride and the ride cycle I got was pretty good.....enough for me actually, lol. Talk about intense!!
80meterwheelman
Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:17:08 PM
Originally Posted by: CanobieFan 

I rode it three or four times at the Florida State Fair last year and once this past fair (it closed for rain and never reopened that night....even after the rain ended)

It's fun... but they seem to run a short///tame cycle. And even with its already limited capacity at FSF they refused to load all 16 seats! With at least 30 people in the line at all times they would only load 8 seats... And when questioned about it (by someone working the fair!) the rude Op said "you're lucky were even running it on an armband day!"

I don't get it. Yes, there's less weight but, the machine still has to go thru it's cycle which would mean more cycles and more wear & tear on the equipment. I say run it at full capacity & everyone wins (just reduce the cycle). Sounds like the crew needs a little more seasoning (and a lesson in courtesy).[badidea]
Doing nothing is tiresome because you can't stop to rest.
boltz
Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:30:11 PM
Originally Posted by: CanobieFan 

Well, As far as the cycle it depends on when you rode it. They run different cycles depending on the crowd. This also applies to how many seats they operate.

They had a few new guys on the ride in Tampa so that could have had something to do with it. As far as them being rude, You should have found the boss because he doesn't play games with the help and wouldn't approve of that stuff. It has 4 programs and they are all different.
Stop complaining...Nobody cares anyway!!
rideguyray
Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:38:16 PM
I saw that Stinger last fall in Frederick, MD
it was running full cycles, and i think it had about 40+ people in line for it
oh thats insane just watching it, also had half the lights out they were trying to get them to work correct
Follow me on Facebook at Ray Fendrick
geewizz66
Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:51:53 PM
Ugliest thing that I've ever seen! A bunch of us were at the Florida State Fair in 2012 and watched the ride, nice action but those colors??!! I think they must have LOST A BET! Uchhhkkkky

Geewizz66
chief
Friday, March 15, 2013 1:53:29 AM
your right on the colors but looks good at night with the lights
chief
"the party in hell has been canceled, do to the fire"
JustinJames
Friday, March 15, 2013 8:44:20 AM
The ex-wife and I rode it in 2012 at the FSF... Very intense and fun. We loved it. Was surprised it didn't have a sound system but nonetheless it was great!
Fabbri_Guy
Friday, March 15, 2013 9:32:19 AM
OK so the question is... what's better this or a kmg inversion, sorry to change the subject a little
exvswat
Friday, April 12, 2013 9:41:44 PM
Originally Posted by: boltz 

Well, As far as the cycle it depends on when you rode it. They run different cycles depending on the crowd. This also applies to how many seats they operate.

They had a few new guys on the ride in Tampa so that could have had something to do with it. As far as them being rude, You should have found the boss because he doesn't play games with the help and wouldn't approve of that stuff. It has 4 programs and they are all different.

The Stinger actually has 3 programs. If they are running a large crowd, they disable Phase 3 (meaning the seats remained locked and after looping, the ride ends), if they are running a small crowd, they disable gondolas 2 and 4 and only load 8. I got to film them operating the ride and will be posting a promo video for the Stinger soon (footage on, off the ride and from a helicopter above the ride, that was fun, and tearing down the ride at the end of the Florida State Fair) Jeff Alberts is the foreman of the ride from what I understand, nice guy, he lets me ride for free at any fair they go to now, if you have trouble with any of the operators, tell Jeff, he'll straighten things out. As for riding, I once rode 23 times in a row at the Lee County Fair in Lee County, FL, it's a different thrill every run. Great ride.
exvswat
Friday, April 12, 2013 9:43:40 PM
Originally Posted by: rideguyray 

I saw that Stinger last fall in Frederick, MD
it was running full cycles, and i think it had about 40+ people in line for it
oh thats insane just watching it, also had half the lights out they were trying to get them to work correct

I was told someone left the controller for the lights in the rain and they shorted out.
exvswat
Friday, April 12, 2013 9:45:35 PM
Originally Posted by: Fabbri_Guy 

OK so the question is... what's better this or a kmg inversion, sorry to change the subject a little

I'm neutral. Both are equally matched. The only exception that I've seen is the KMG Inversion can flip it's passengers at any time, where as the Loop Fighter can only perform gondola flips while rocking back and forth like a pendulum.
Tornado
Sunday, April 14, 2013 11:58:15 AM

Never rode or seem the KMG Inversion in person, but from all the videos I’ve watch of it I’ve never seen one that showed the seats swinging free or flipping while it was doing it 360 degree revolutions over the top? Not that it can’t… It would be cool if it could as it would add a whole different dimension to the ride…

For that matter why can’t the stinger have the cars swing free while it’s going over the top? Something to do with balance of the ride?

Why can the Inversion do it if the stinger can’t?

Stinger does hold 4 more riders though…
CanobieFan
Sunday, April 14, 2013 12:20:44 PM
I don't think it "can't" I think it has more to do with safety or rider comfort. Even with the low swings and free swinging cars... You can get some pretty fast/rough/violent rocking motions. So I kinda assumed that's why they don't have the seats unlocked doing the 360. Although there is video on YouTube showing there kmg ride doing 360s unlocked but its riderless. I believe someone here when the ride first came out said something along the lines of KMG suggesting against doing it because of the forces.

But it should be noted Moser makes a ride somewhat like both the inversion and loop fighter that does have free spinning cars and makes 360s just fine.