zoo crew
  •  zoo crew
  • 50.74% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler Topic Starter
Sunday, March 3, 2013 9:30:10 AM
After years of reading I have finally signed up. The first carnival and fair I ever attended was The North Stonington Fair in Ct. The midway was provided by Browmstone Amusements. I was 8 years old, and the love affair started. I grew up visiting as many shows as I could get somebody to drive me to. Those were the days of Deluxe Shows, Spencer Amusements, Connecticut Amusement Supply, Coleman Bros.,Santamaria's Famous Funway, Fera Brothers, and of course Billy Burr's Fun-o-Rama.

When I was thirteen I met Bob Commerford, and that is when my life really changed. My father was into antique wagons and carriages,which Bob bought and sold. On our first visit to Wolcott, Connecticut, I saw some tractor trailers all painted up carnival style , and asked Bob what they were. He said "They're for my petting zoo, we go to fairs and events."
I visited Bob as many times as I could when they were "home", always curious to see what new animal they had aquired, or what project they were working on. When I graduated from High School I traveled with the Comerford-Shea petting zoo for one season. That was 1975.

I built a small roadside zoo which I ran from 1980 thru 1988. In 1990 I took out a petting zoo, and pony ride operation. I played some lots with Rockwell, Fiesta, Fanelli, and feel truly blessed to have done a couple of spots with Nick Santamaria , and Billy Burr, because I grew up visiting their shows. They ALL treated me well. I got off the road in 2001.

If I could turn back time, I would re-visit Billy Burr's Fun-o-rama at the Rocky Hill Fair, Coleman Bros. at their Groton Ct. still date., and go to the Danbury State Fair, one more time.

My favorite posts on this board were always the discussions between Pinetar, Flamo, and Sixcat. You can read and think all you want, but the best way to get advice is to listen to somebody thats been there, and done that. I alo have to admit that I never get tired of reading about Larry Carr.

I am currently living in Hope Valley R.I., operating a small pumpkin farm, apple orchard, petting zoo, and country store. I am not making any more money than I ever did, but I guess I am having a good time.
Soda Guy
Sunday, March 3, 2013 11:24:36 AM

zoo crew to make you feel at home. . . . . . what is the bub count at the farm? Is the fence around the animals yeller? Any pics?
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, March 3, 2013 4:37:59 PM
Originally Posted by: Soda Guy 

zoo crew to make you feel at home. . . . . . what is the bub count at the farm? Is the fence around the animals yeller? Any pics?

ha ha ha... that's funny

zoo crew
  •  zoo crew
  • 50.74% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler Topic Starter
Monday, March 4, 2013 6:05:57 PM
I try to keep the bub count as high as I can. My wife keeps mentioning the electric bill. We dont have a generator any more. I am not that computer literate, but we have pictures on our website www.festivalfarmri.com . We also have a Facebook page Festival Farm Hope Valley. Hopefully I can post some trip reports this year, and maybe my wife can figure out how to post some pics.
Zipie
  •  Zipie
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Operations
Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:03:14 PM
Ahh history of the great shows 🙂
bobo5038
Friday, March 8, 2013 6:33:17 AM
adnerblou
Monday, June 14, 2021 2:46:50 AM
I traveled with Santa Maria’s Famous Funway when I was a teenager. Great memories with great people.
olediggerguy
Tuesday, June 15, 2021 11:29:31 PM
Nick SantaMaria.......A classic human being...A true street guy from Providence R.I. The show had every conceivable RACKET trap set up EVERY week!! And they all worked.... I was out there on the show during the late 70s...very early 80s when the show folded. I still tell people stories about those days...and they get better reactions every year!!!