Scarlett
  •  Scarlett
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:10:32 PM
And so the adventure begins...

This week in our winter quarters work is beginning to bring a piece of history back to life. The 1958 Velare Brothers Space Wheels have been out of commission for quite some time, but with some hard work and determination they will once again grace the midway next season. We have just started to unfold the ride and assess what its going to take to get them in operating condition. Below are what we will call the "Before" photos... the trailers have been joined and the platforms put on.

Space Wheels photos 
Scarlett Butler

"I used to have a handle on life, but then it broke off."
kris0106
  •  kris0106
  • 53.7% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:19:33 PM
ringmaster
Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:36:56 PM
Thank you. Ive never seen another picture that shows the left side of the center trailer. Will be a great resourse to us building Ron's new kit.
Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:56:05 PM
Nothing like a classic IH Transtar tractor to go with in the pic! Don't see those much on the road anymore either, great pics!
done with it
Friday, September 14, 2012 1:41:40 AM
Will it have L.E.D's,hope so!!!i know u would like to
Keep it original as u can,but spice it up just a little would ya!!,so when people see it,first thing that comes too mind is HOLY S**T!!!!!!,west palm could be a good debuet,or tampa!!!
thunderbolt85
Friday, September 14, 2012 7:30:10 AM
Personally, I hope they keep the gold (or yeller) and green lights, the old type. I know LEDs are the new big thing, but we need to keep some history with this ride. But no matter what, its great to see an old ride coming back to life, I hope we see more of these older rides coming back soon.
swooper
Friday, September 14, 2012 7:54:01 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

Personally, I hope they keep the gold (or yeller) and green lights, the old type. I know LEDs are the new big thing, but we need to keep some history with this ride. But no matter what, its great to see an old ride coming back to life, I hope we see more of these older rides coming back soon.

i think the origional ligting and paint would be great you dont need to make it different or stand out from another one cause there are none.

but i know on a single skywheel was advertised by A.H. to have 240 lights so if this is true it must be around 600 or so with the center tower. very hard and costly just to keep lit.
Rockowheel
Friday, September 14, 2012 8:41:56 AM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

I definitely couldn't agree more. LEDs are the thing now, and they are spectacular in their own right, but without all the yellow and green flourescents that ride just wouldn't be the same. I'm thankful they are bringing this ride back, but pray they don't change the look of it at all!

thunderbolt85
Friday, September 14, 2012 9:12:16 AM
Yeah, I can understand the argument for changing the lights in this day and age, but you know I think Drew used a different type of light on the Seattle Wheel, but it still looks close to the old...I think I remember reading that, but its not LED.
Anyhow, still glad its not setting in field of weeds, or worse, at the scrap metal man's lot. I wonder who is having that Sky Diver redone at Mulligan's WQ, somebody is spending some money to restore that one.
swooper
Friday, September 14, 2012 9:39:06 AM
Originally Posted by: Scarlett 

And so the adventure begins...

This week in our winter quarters work is beginning to bring a piece of history back to life. The 1958 Velare Brothers Space Wheels have been out of commission for quite some time, but with some hard work and determination they will once again grace the midway next season. We have just started to unfold the ride and assess what its going to take to get them in operating condition. Below are what we will call the "Before" photos... the trailers have been joined and the platforms put on.

Space Wheels photos 

when you have time could you get some photos of the seats they are quite differeft than A.H skywheels and i remember too the booms have metal skins over X construction not box type frame on the A.H. wheels
coasterkeener
Friday, September 14, 2012 10:19:54 AM
Are these the wheels that were on Royal American Shows? Who owns the wheels now? How many side by side Sky (Space) Wheels were built? I'm glad to see the Space Wheels are being restored.
Scarlett
  •  Scarlett
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
Friday, September 14, 2012 11:27:59 AM
Originally Posted by: coasterkeener 

Are these the wheels that were on Royal American Shows? Who owns the wheels now? How many side by side Sky (Space) Wheels were built? I'm glad to see the Space Wheels are being restored.

Yes, these are the Royal American Space Wheels. They are the only ones in existence. Pat Guthrie has purchased them and is restoring them now at his Georgia Winter Quarters. Progress pics will be posted throughout the process.
Scarlett Butler

britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, September 14, 2012 12:03:24 PM
you cand do the led's and have them flash green and yellow.
Flying Coaster
Friday, September 14, 2012 1:50:57 PM
LEDs look great on some rides, but to remove the fluorescent lamps from a Skywheel altogether is not a good look. Without the tower and boom lights the ride looks naked. True, they are a huge p.i.t.a. to maintain but they look so good. Something needs to be figured out though because the day is coming when you will not be able to purchase the slimlines anymore because they ARE going to be discontinued thanks to Gub'ment mandates.

All Skywheels should be yeller.
Scarlett
  •  Scarlett
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
Friday, September 14, 2012 2:30:52 PM
More photos added....

Space Wheels Photos 
Scarlett Butler