WestCoastPat
  •  WestCoastPat
  • 59.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Saturday, September 1, 2012 8:31:59 PM
I found a great OLD picture today of the Western Washington Fair held every year in Puyallup, Washington. I am not sure of the year, but I will get more info on it next time I go to the Original Pancake House.

Thanks SS.
WestCoastPat attached the following image(s):

WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
ringmaster
Monday, September 3, 2012 12:53:59 AM
squirrel
Monday, September 3, 2012 1:21:32 AM
All you have to do is when you post a message, click the checkbox "Attach Files To Post" and when you hit "Post" or "Save" button, a new page comes up and you can browse for the file and upload it into the message. New feature when we upgraded to this software a while back --

ringmaster
coasterkeener
Monday, September 3, 2012 6:25:40 PM
Arm number eight is hiding on the left side of the picture.
ringmaster
Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:19:56 AM
coasterkeener
Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:14:15 PM
Is a "headache bar" the support rod for the arm? Where did that name come from?
Jackpotter
Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:03:47 PM
Originally Posted by: coasterkeener 

Is a "headache bar" the support rod for the arm? Where did that name come from?

If I had to venture a guess it's got something to do with setting up or tearing down the ride and if that bar gets dropped on your head you'll have one helluva headache. Just guess tho.

coasterkeener
Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:09:42 PM
In my one week career as a carnival worker a support rod on a SA MGR came loose during set up and cut open my forehead. It turned out we were doing it wrong. It is much safer to be a carnival fan and watch set up and tear down from a safe distance.
ringmaster
Friday, September 7, 2012 12:19:20 PM
I think Jackpotter is right. The headache bar is the short sweep that runs from the excentric,the crank shaft like thing at the top of the ride, to the sweep., on a spider or 'puss. I don't know if that's a universal term, but it's all I've ever heard it called.

flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, September 8, 2012 4:26:49 PM
Originally Posted by: coasterkeener 

In my one week career as a carnival worker a support rod on a SA MGR came loose during set up and cut open my forehead. It turned out we were doing it wrong. It is much safer to be a carnival fan and watch set up and tear down from a safe distance.

Smart man, that iron bites....

I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
canadiancarny
Sunday, September 9, 2012 10:38:25 AM
We call them bastard bars. If you drop one on your head it's a headache if ,god forbid, one lets go it's a bastard.
Rockowheel
Sunday, September 9, 2012 1:20:59 PM
Typical long-arm Octopus with the "over/under" arm placement. Those always seemed to give the best rides to me, but then again I'm a "puss" fan LOL
coasterkeener
Sunday, September 9, 2012 3:13:16 PM
By "over/under" arm placement do you mean that every other arm was attached to the center higher or lower than the one next to it? If so, was that done on the older model Octopus rides? The Octopus/Spider ride motion is one of my favorites.