thunderbolt85
Monday, July 30, 2012 2:07:41 PM
Years ago we once had two fairs here in Greenville SC. We had the Upper SC State Fair in September (still in business), and then the Greenville County Fair in October which had a longer history here.
As a kid I got to go to the Upper SC State Fair, but not the Greenville County Fair, but I always got to ride by it when the show was coming in, and then leaving the following wkend.
I was wondering if anyone knew of shows that played the GCF, I think Dell and Travers was one during the 70s, and I do know Strates came in years before that. I also think Reithoffer may have played it. The last few years that the fair was in business AofA had the contract for a few years, then Childress Shows. I did get to go those last few years, and AofA brought in a nice midways with rides like the Himi, Bobs, Diver, etc.
Just wanting to see if anyone had any information. Also, does anyone know what happened to LD Wheeler's equipment? Did he sell it off, or the whole show to someone? I worked for him during one season, and saw him around on different lots later on but nothing else until I read about his death a few weeks ago.
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, July 30, 2012 8:47:43 PM
I was on dell & travers in the 70s. we played greensboro nc at the coliseum. don't remember playing greenville sc with d&t. but played both greenville fairs, deggeller had the contracts with a of a and moegerle covering at the easley pickens. and with a of a at the other lot.
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, July 30, 2012 9:42:01 PM
were those 2 fairs like orangeburg where they had a fair for one race and another for the other? did not realize you were on Dell and travers lotman. that was one heck of a show during their time.
Hippie Bill
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:36:02 AM
I've played both of those fairs. Unless I'm mistaken Big A Phil's unit was there in the late 80's. The lot was laid out in a circle, there wasn't much to the fairgrounds, just some old buildings. The crowd was mostly black people. It was closer to town. We didn't make a lot of money there either. The other fair was at the racetrack and it still there. We did OK at that one.
"Hit the last two and finish it up for the large."
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 7:36:47 AM
Thanks lotman, it may not have been D&T at the Greenville County Fair, I wish I had been a lot older at the time to know who was there. I know one year when I got to go (early 80s) there was nice midway with a Sky Wheel, two silver standard wheels side by side up front, trooper, tilt, sizzler, to name a few. Not sure about Orangeburg, but yes the Upper State Fair had races at one time during the fair, but now they don't, not during the fair at least.

Deggeller always brought in a good show, he had rides like the 1001 Nights, Ranger, Breakdance, Music Express, and Pirate in there some years. Sometimes he would book a lot of equipment. One year we had a Polyp, and Viking Ship that was booked in, a lot of good midways back in the 70s and 80's.

Playworld has the contract now.
bn7309
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:53:57 AM
ld wheelers larrys amusments played it in oct.a couple times back in the early eighties,i was there.
thunderbolt85
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:41:05 AM
Hippie Bill, yeah the last few years of the fair (County)it really went down hill. One year when big A was there, I met the lotman (think he also owned the Himi there)and later that evening he introduced me to Morris Jr. He was really nice, we sat in the office and talked about the business (I was about 19 I guess), and he gave me some pointers, etc.

The grounds became a flea market after it closed, and a few years later they tried a spring fair again, built a big concert area to one side, and actually Drew came in with a good midway. They tried it a few years because Interstate Amusements of America came in as well, but its just on the bad side of town now, and couldn't make it.

We have the Upper SC State Fair, but this area is ready for another fair I think, down near the southern part of the county. People respond well to something that is put on well, nice grounds, strong midway, and lots of food. Well just have to see what can be done.
Hippie Bill
Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:50:08 AM
That sounds about the way I remember it. That old fairgrounds was rough in 87 when I played it. The midway swarmed into a giant 'run' where the whole midway was running in a big circle because someone had a gun. Biggest crowd run I've ever seen. I played the southern one at the track about 96 or 97 and it was pretty good then, on labor day weekend. Man, this brings back some memories.
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:31:34 AM
Originally Posted by: Hippie Bill 

That sounds about the way I remember it. That old fairgrounds was rough in 87 when I played it. The midway swarmed into a giant 'run' where the whole midway was running in a big circle because someone had a gun. Biggest crowd run I've ever seen. I played the southern one at the track about 96 or 97 and it was pretty good then, on labor day weekend. Man, this brings back some memories.

we had a bomb scare on sat nite at the rough fairgrounds. a of a had the contract. had to close and empty the midway. tear down was fun, we thought there was a bomb under everything we picked up or moved.
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:42:21 AM
Originally Posted by: britt 

were those 2 fairs like orangeburg where they had a fair for one race and another for the other? did not realize you were on Dell and travers lotman. that was one heck of a show during their time.

no britt, it wasn,t a black fair/ white fair thing. two different fairs with two different organizations. it may have been before the 70s and 80s but not when we played it. i do remember the orangeburg sc fairgrounds with d&t back in the 70s with the signs on the bathrooms and drinking fountains with the blacks and whites signs still up. the fair at the easley pickens speedway was the money fair in greenville. and yes dell and travers was one hell of a show in their time. probably the strongest all around route, spring and fall on the east coast.
Mark Twain
powersmidways.com
Hippie Bill
Wednesday, August 1, 2012 5:07:56 PM
I do remember not wanting to play the rough spot again, and telling myself that the one at the track was definitely worth it.

Was it a bomb scare that year? It's been a while and my memory is not what it used to be. The marks all freaked out at once. Some lady grabbed her kid and jumped into the joint with me.