godsonsafari
Thursday, July 5, 2012 10:58:07 AM
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

The hospital, and it's nearby sister, in question has more operating rooms and surgeons than most. Apparently, none of them was good enough for the job.

That's very possible on that given day at that time. Surgeons specialize. Just because America has the best health care system in the world, as we all hear so often, doesn't mean care isn't managed.

Quote:

No.

Should we change sentencing guidelines then? If they can't get it right, maybe we shouldn't be putting people away for life or the death penalty. How would you feel about 20 year maximum sentences, a la Norway?

Quote:

In a civil case, the government does exactly that.

Not really. A group of peers (jury) determines damages. That's how the court system works. I put more faith in a jury of random people to determine damages based on a case by case basis than a hamfisted approach by the federal government. JMHO.

Quote:

He gets medicare, but his wife and daughter don't. This bill does nothing for them.

They don't have jobs and their own independent health care?
Bowler Roller
Thursday, July 5, 2012 11:12:17 AM
Of course it's possible. That's why I stated it as fact. He was charged by the hospital over 30Gs for 2 shots, bandages, and a phone number.

I'm not going to get into the problems of criminal courts. Anything further is irrelevant to this discussion.

Quote:

Not really. A group of peers (jury) determines damages.

And in this case, the jury is acting as representatives of the community, AKA the government.

Quote:

They don't have jobs and their own independent health care?

No. The daughter is a minor, and the wife is too sick for a steady job. That's why they're so far in medical debt, despite wasting so much on insurance.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
godsonsafari
Thursday, July 5, 2012 1:50:24 PM
Quote:

Of course it's possible. That's why I stated it as fact. He was charged by the hospital over 30Gs for 2 shots, bandages, and a phone number.

And its a very sad story, but I don't see private healthcare having any fix to this.

Quote:

And in this case, the jury is acting as representatives of the community, AKA the government.

The community is not the government, even if members of the government are part of the community and the government organizes a great number of aspects about the community. That being said, I put more faith in 12 jurors than I do the bodies of Congress or the President.

Quote:

No. The daughter is a minor, and the wife is too sick for a steady job. That's why they're so far in medical debt, despite wasting so much on insurance.

If she's too ill for steady work, there's always medicaid. Its rather difficult to sit here and figure out how or why something isn't working based on anecdotal evidence.

Bowler Roller
Thursday, July 5, 2012 5:27:39 PM
The government is (supposed to be) the people. A jury is one area where that is still true. They use laws and guidelines to come to their decisions.

Quote:

If she's too ill for steady work, there's always medicaid. Its rather difficult to sit here and figure out how or why something isn't working based on anecdotal evidence

The law now requires her to have private insurance. In fact, I bet they'll be taxed as a "Cadillac plan".

At 42 years old, and with her husbands income, I don't believe she is eligible for medicaid.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
godsonsafari
Thursday, July 5, 2012 9:25:06 PM
Quote:

The government is (supposed to be) the people. A jury is one area where that is still true. They use laws and guidelines to come to their decisions.

The government or "the state" is a separate but related entity from "the people of the United States". It was on July 4, 1776, and it is now. As is, I have more faith in a jury of peers to award just damages than I do congressmen and a president years previous to the grevious injury who are receiving funds for campaigning from the health care industry.

Quote:

The law now requires her to have private insurance. In fact, I bet they'll be taxed as a "Cadillac plan".

That may be the case. I don't know. It is sad but the world we live in because of private insurance's grip on America's media and politicians. Nothing is going to change any time soon.