rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Friday, June 22, 2012 7:12:36 PM
I find it pretty amazing that anyone would want to take on the task of moving something so large around in the first place. That got me wondering who was the first person or show that felt they could pull it off? Does anyone know?
RodB
Keith
Friday, June 22, 2012 9:02:46 PM
First Flume I saw was on Conklin themed Wild Wasserbahn.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, June 22, 2012 9:30:24 PM
Strates, Murphy & Reithoffer bought a Reverchon Wild River in 1988 and shared it thru 1992. There were probably others before that.
Skywheelrider
Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:47:59 AM
I seem to recall reading that a company by the name of Huron something had built a portable flume and it played with Royal American at least once or twice. Wish I could recall where I saw that, maybe the RAS history book? The gist was the company was going to build more but it was so big and time consuming to set up/tear down and move the cost at the time really became prohibitive.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
swooper
Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:21:34 AM
i seem to remember one of the fist ones was an independent, but i am not sure
Benjibear
Saturday, June 23, 2012 12:52:42 PM
Wasn't there a portable flume that one load was in a wreck a few years ago? I think it was with Strates at the New York State Fair and was going somewhere down south when one load wrecked near Harrisburg, PA. Did I dream that?
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
daniel
  •  daniel
  • 73.82% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:41:27 PM
No I remember as well but I thought is was a name or reightopherf.

Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:01:31 PM
It was an indy flume that was wrecked in PA after Syracuse in 2003. Was headed to Asheville, NC with Drew, I think. Company may have been "Fair Time" or something like that.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:20:03 PM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

It was an indy flume that was wrecked in PA after Syracuse in 2003. Was headed to Asheville, NC with Drew, I think. Company may have been "Fair Time" or something like that.

That was Mark Popovitch's flume. The Strates-Murphy-Reithoffer-Coleman one was one of the first Revechons.
I believe it went to The Phillipines.
A builder had one on RAS in the early 70's at Milwaukee, I think he went to St. Paul, then was going to improve it for the next season. I don't know where it went from there.