Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 11:00:59 PM
DOT 3 break fluid! No joke, thats all I use. Its kinda oily but it will take it all off right down to the plastic without harming the surface. I had a bunch of cabover trucks I hand painted as a kid and that I didnt want to scrap. Submerged them in DOT 3 brake fluid for like a day a piece and it just peeled right off. Simple solution and I was able to rehab them to where you would have thought they were brand new...
Fabbri_Guy
  •  Fabbri_Guy
  • 64.96% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:41:22 AM
Wow. OK I'll try that thanks. Goodluck ..... to me
Benjibear
Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:58:10 AM
I use either Polly Scale Easy Lift Off (ELO) which I think is branded as Testors now. Or I have used denatured alcohol in or out of a ultrasonic cleaner.

I have also heard of the brake fluid but that gets really oily and you need to be very good when cleaning the parts before repainting especially if you are using water based paint. I have heard of using Pine Sol but I think that may be the same issue. I have heard of using oven cleaner as well but that is very toxic and you need to be in a good ventilated area.

Most of the above are good on plastic. Some work better than others on different paints.

For metal, I have used lacquer thinner. The funny story with this is I wanted to strip paint off a matchbox car and repaint it. I was about 12 at time and my dad told me to use lacquer thinner. So I took a can filled it with thinner and dropped the car in. Well it took the paint off very good in a short time but all the plastic pieces were missing. I didn't realize that I needed to take it apart before I stripped it and just use the lacquer thinner on the metal pieces. Live and learn
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Fabbri_Guy
  •  Fabbri_Guy
  • 64.96% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:16:33 PM
Yea plastic will melt. I'm scared to touch that field. Anything to do with painting I'm not very good at
Matt C.
Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:53:07 PM
Originally Posted by: Ted 

DOT 3 break fluid! No joke, thats all I use. Its kinda oily but it will take it all off right down to the plastic without harming the surface. I had a bunch of cabover trucks I hand painted as a kid and that I didnt want to scrap. Submerged them in DOT 3 brake fluid for like a day a piece and it just peeled right off. Simple solution and I was able to rehab them to where you would have thought they were brand new...

LOL really?

I used some laquer thinner on some Cummons Eli Wheel seats last year and it took days to get the paint off. I will try the brake fluid next time.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:44:00 PM
Yup "prestone" is my friend on many projects lol.... Im just giving a tip to use it at your own discretion! Its worked for me great but I wouldnt want to ruin anyones projects so try it first. Usually one night and the next morning it just peels right off. Then soak it in soapy water (be careful with hot soapy water as it will warp and ruin plastics and glue joints). Then scuff it real good in soapy water with scuff pad and wet sand paper and you should be good. Never had any issues with the oily residue it leaves just prep it real good after and you should be good...