johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, April 8, 2012 10:35:19 PM
Georgia passed a law requiring you pass a drug test to get welfare. I hope the governor signs it. Oh, and you have to pay for the test yourself.
Bowler Roller
Monday, April 9, 2012 12:22:46 PM
It would be better to just end welfare
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
Monday, April 9, 2012 4:13:08 PM
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

It would be better to just end welfare

I agree completely. Let us keep our tax money and help who we want.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, April 9, 2012 11:27:07 PM
You pay if you flunk. Watch the roles drop.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
JustJeff
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:46:21 PM
Florida started that last year and needless to say it has been quite controversial..I personally like it because to me the people have to take the tests to get jobs so the peope who want something for not working should at least do the same..

I guess only about 3% have been coming up dirty,but who knows how those statistics work.It all depends on who is doing them and how they want the results interpreted.
squirrel
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:26:35 PM
The kicker is, that even 3%, when multiplied by the thousands of recipients in a state, multiplied by the number of months they are being 'denied' welfare, and do some math. I bet the money saved is more than $0.00 which is more than enough to warrant the requirement in my eyes.
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:38:01 PM
Originally Posted by: JustJeff 

Florida started that last year and needless to say it has been quite controversial..I personally like it because to me the people have to take the tests to get jobs so the peope who want something for not working should at least do the same..

The better solution is to not allow pre-employment drug tests.

squirrel
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:43:58 PM

The better solution is to not allow pre-employment drug tests.

Fair enough...

Although I don't know how much I'd like a sleepy/'not in our world or reality' heroin user running one of my rides if I owned the show. How would I protect myself and the customers if drug tests were illegal?

I don't use this is an 'only' example. And don't want to argue which drugs are good or bad. I'm just saying... I'm not worried about pot-heads, although I've seen some who truly can't function when they've been smoking. But I have to say I've seen what someone looks like when they've just had a fix and how they are for the next several hours, and would not want that on my lot, let alone near my kids...
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:46:35 PM
No offense, but if you can't tell a "sleepy/'not in our world or reality' heroin user" without examining their urine, you should have someone else do the hiring.

If you suspect someone of being high, or otherwise inattentive, on the ride, fire them.
squirrel
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:03:17 PM

No offense, but if you can't tell a "sleepy/'not in our world or reality' heroin user" without examining their urine, you should have someone else do the hiring.

If you suspect someone of being high, or otherwise inattentive, on the ride, fire them.

I'll give you that, but what about the cases where you find out about it 'after the fact'... I can't tell how many times I've had to find out the hard way I had a drunk working who was able to hide his/her addiction for some time until it was too late and I had to deal with it on the middle of the lot.

All I'm saying is I see both sides, and honestly, there is no 'fair' solution, but when it comes to what we're doing, how much of a chance should we have to take before in the end we get caught in some kind of lawsuit because of someone's actions/addiction when we could have caught it before anything happened and not had it in the public eye...
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:16:52 PM
I've been on both sides of this too.

Do you check for alcohol? That is the most abused drug, and the one that causes the most accidents, yet testing won't help you stop those accidents.

How many heroin, meth or crack addicts do you catch through testing? If pre-employment testing weren't allowed your liability would shrink, since you couldn't have caught it through testing.

It's not right to have to prove your innocence to someone who has no probable cause that you've done something wrong.

I'm also curious to know what drugs they've found in the 3% of Florida's welfare applicants.
squirrel
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:29:51 PM

I've been on both sides of this too.

Do you check for alcohol? That is the most abused drug, and the one that causes the most accidents, yet testing won't help you stop those accidents.

How many heroin, meth or crack addicts do you catch through testing? If pre-employment testing weren't allowed your liability would shrink, since you couldn't have caught it through testing.

It's not right to have to prove your innocence to someone who has no probable cause that you've done something wrong.

I'm also curious to know what drugs they've found in the 3% of Florida's welfare applicants.

I couldn't pre-test for Alcohol, but I did random daily breathalyzers quite often, because at the time, I had about 6 of the crew I couldn't trust, and had other crew running the 'rat squad' on them... Waking up at 6am and slamming 3 beers before anyone else gets up then wanting to go setup, all while sneaking back to the houses all day long to slam more beers... By the end of the day they were so screwed up they couldn't talk, let alone function...

It's not a fair situation at all either way you look at it. The thing that sucks most is 'common sense' would say "don't do your habit" then come to work, but because people can't live by rules, the outcome is the 'proving of innocence' no matter what you do.
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:14:44 PM
Yes, I too wish common sense was as common as the name suggests.

Has testing brought you fewer accidents? If so, are there other factors that helped bring that number down?
johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:57:24 PM
Of course anybody who could get another person hurt should be tested.

On the other hand, I really don't care what people do for recreation as long as they don't use my money to do it. Welfare money is my money, seized by the government.
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:15:03 PM
Everybody can hurt another person.

I just don't see drug tests making it harder for others to purchase drugs with your money. Heroin, Cocaine and meth users will just dry out for a few days before they get tested.