Bowler Roller
Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:10:07 AM
Quote:

Of course the working poor should be able to vote. Only those who get more from the government than they give shouldn't be able to vote. That's like letting the employees hire and fire the person who sets their salaries

Like people who use the Earned Income Credit? Many working poor and middle classed people get back more than they pay in.

Only felons may be disallowed to vote. If one fails to follow a court order to make such restitution, a bench warrant may be issued for contempt of court. Contempt of court is minor crap.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
johnroach100
Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:22:02 AM
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

Like people who use the Earned Income Credit? Many working poor and middle classed people get back more than they pay in.

Only felons may be disallowed to vote. If one fails to follow a court order to make such restitution, a bench warrant may be issued for contempt of court. Contempt of court is minor crap.

Yes, people who use the EIC are exactly who I mean. Why should they get to vote on who gives them MY money? I worked for it and I should get to say who gets it. How do you say get BACK when you didn't pay in? It isn't getting BACK, it's getting more than you paid.

I'm not arguing WHO gets to vote, I'm arguing on who SHOULD get to vote.

I used to have a daughter in law who paid in about $1500 and got a check for $7000. Where did that money come from? How is that fair?
Skywheelrider
Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:08:03 AM
http://www.creators.com/conserv...aacp-went-to-geneva.html 

Very interesting commentary on the NAACP and voter ID laws.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
joan
  •  joan
  • 57.04% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:52:14 AM
Ok, pay attention. If you work, and you're poor, and you file taxes, you're eligible for an earned income tax credit. So what you're saying is people should turn it down? Or not vote? Get real.
Bowler Roller
Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:54:30 AM
Originally Posted by: johnroach100 

Yes, people who use the EIC are exactly who I mean. Why should they get to vote on who gives them MY money? I worked for it and I should get to say who gets it. How do you say get BACK when you didn't pay in? It isn't getting BACK, it's getting more than you paid.

I'm not arguing WHO gets to vote, I'm arguing on who SHOULD get to vote.

I used to have a daughter in law who paid in about $1500 and got a check for $7000. Where did that money come from? How is that fair?

While it's not right, it surely shouldn't disqualify someone from voting. They're citizens like everyone else and those ballots affect them as much as it does you.

If you have a problem with the tax code, bring it up with the government, don't disenfranchise people for following it.

johnroach100
Sunday, March 25, 2012 1:38:24 AM
Originally Posted by: joan 

Ok, pay attention. If you work, and you're poor, and you file taxes, you're eligible for an earned income tax credit. So what you're saying is people should turn it down? Or not vote? Get real.

Maybe I'm not making it clear or I'm the one not paying attention. I think if you take the EIC and wind up with more than the government took from you you shouldn't be eligible to vote. I don't owe anybody anything just because they're poor and work. That's what's happening now. Deadbeats and moochers take my money. If you get more than you pay you're going to vote for it to keep happening.

I can't change it but I don't like it. Should the strong joints give half it's gross to the duck pond because it had a bad week? Last week I had good week across from a guy who had a really bad game. Was I supposed to give him a cut only because he didn't want to work? It was all strictly hanky pank, btw. I work for what I get. I sell stock and everybody goes home happy.
Skywheelrider
Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:42:59 PM
And liberals scream that voter fraud is a 'myth' and does not exist....

VOTER FRAUD IN FLORIDA news video 

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:05:18 PM
I am not sure they all say it is a myth. I don't think it is as widespread as some Republicans want to make us think. It does happen. Has it changed the outcome of any recent election? That can be debated until the cows come home and only God knows.

When I saw "VOTER FRAUD IN FLORIDA", my mind when to the whole mess in 2000.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:31:11 PM
Originally Posted by: Benjibear 

I am not sure they all say it is a myth. I don't think it is as widespread as some Republicans want to make us think. It does happen. Has it changed the outcome of any recent election? That can be debated until the cows come home and only God knows.

When I saw "VOTER FRAUD IN FLORIDA", my mind when to the whole mess in 2000.

Photo ID will tell you how much fraud is going on... As will E-verify. You have to have SS and if the data doesn't match its jail time. Absentee Ballots are a big problem as well.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Erik9976
Saturday, June 2, 2012 8:30:27 PM

I haven't needed to show a valid picture ID since I've had my CDL: about 8-10 years. If I need to rent a motel room, for example, an expired ID has always worked for me.

While on the road, I never had an ID. The only job for which I've ever had to show ID was a driving job.

Many people fear to get an ID because they're afraid they'll be arrested for unpaid tickets, unpaid child support, or whatever other minor crap they have hanging over their heads.

So you think unpaid child support is minor crap. Typical liberal.
Bowler Roller
Saturday, June 2, 2012 9:40:50 PM
You've obviously never read my posts. It's no reason to disenfranchise a person.
Erik9976
Sunday, June 3, 2012 10:33:39 AM

You've obviously never read my posts. It's no reason to disenfranchise a person.

I have read them. It should disenfranchise someone. I'm glad they are strict on deadbeat parents nowadays.
Bowler Roller
Monday, June 4, 2012 10:03:20 PM
Every adult citizen, not in jail, deserves to vote. Not everyone who owes child support is a deadbeat.
Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:45:08 AM

Not everyone who owes child support is a deadbeat.

Really?

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
joan
  •  joan
  • 57.04% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:54:18 PM
Yeah, really.
My oldest daughter's father has never been in a position to pay child support. The poor guy has been making $10 an hour or less (and I mean MUCH less sometimes-when she was a baby in 93, he made $5/hr) and trying to keep his own head above water for years...I never pursued child support, and never expected it. Sometimes it was all he could do to find bus fare to visit her once a month or so. I got state insurance for my daughter for a couple years and now the state is going after him and acting like he's a criminal. It's ridiculous.
On the other hand, my ex husband is a total deadbeat. He works on the same midway as me and I can't even get him to pay the babysitter every other week without a huge scene. He's not on paper as owing, but he sucks..I understand not having it during the winter, but hello? we're open. it comes to $160 each a month and I've been paying the whole $320.
So owing child support AS DETERMINED BY THE STATE doesn't make you a deadbeat...being a deadbeat makes you a deadbeat...