Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:38:49 PM
In PA you will need to have a photo ID in order to vote in the fall. Overall it may be slightly flawed but I think it is a good idea. I was always amazed I could just walk in to my voting place, say my name, and I could vote. Always made me think can I go in to a polling place and say that I am the guy I just read in the obituary and could I vote for him. Alot of people, mostly left and the ACLU are not happy with the law.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:53:09 PM
I am all for voter ID laws, nothing wrong with them. It's mainly the left that is against them because they claim poor folks don't have access to an ID (can't get one for whatever reason). It's also folks that are here illegally, they tend to vote Democrat almost 100% of the time when they are able to vote, but won't get an ID because they are afraid to. I too find it amazing that folks could walk into a polling place, say "I am Joe Smith of 1234 Any Street," sign their name, and be given a ballot. Then what happens when the real Joe Smith walks in to vote? Or they realize after the fact, as Benji said, Joe Smith died a few days earlier and someone saw his name in the obituary page? The left has historically tried to deny that voter fraud exists, but it does. Michigan has a voter ID law, every time I have gone to a polling place I had to show ID (I have voted absentee the last few years, being on the road), I see no problem with it.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:33:43 PM
Texas went to Photo ID and the DOJ is trying to stop it. The counter argument is if a photo ID is needed for welfare or unemployment I'll bet it won't be an inconvenience then.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Blake
  •  Blake
  • 51.56% (Neutral)
  • Operations
Friday, March 16, 2012 12:51:01 AM
Originally Posted by: flamo 

Texas went to Photo ID and the DOJ is trying to stop it. The counter argument is if a photo ID is needed for welfare or unemployment I'll bet it won't be an inconvenience then.

[agree]

I think you should have to prove you pay taxes before being allowed to vote. Certain folks are getting representation without taxation and that's wrong.

Better, go back to proving you're a land owner - that you actually have a stake in the outcome.

....Let the [pos2] storm begin. [stick3] [crap-fan]

Blake
Bowler Roller
Friday, March 16, 2012 2:21:58 PM
Every state in which I have registered to vote, they hand you a voter registration card, which is never, ever checked. What's the matter with showing this? I have such a card, but I don't have a valid picture ID. Even though I'm registered, I'm no longer allowed to vote in Michigan.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
johnroach100
Friday, March 16, 2012 11:52:25 PM
No offense to Bowler, but if somebody isn't capable of obtaining a picture ID, how can they be able to make an informed decision when voting?
Bowler Roller
Saturday, March 17, 2012 1:00:07 AM
I can get one, I just don't have one, because I don't do anything that requires one...except voting, now.
joan
  •  joan
  • 57.04% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:07:27 PM
Originally Posted by: flamo 

Bad argument. I've applied for both 'welfare' AND unemployment and have been required to show a photo ID for both.
I've also been an election judge numerous times. We were instructed to match the voters signature with the one on file. Also, if a voter registers and doesn't provide either a valid DL number or social security number, in most states they will be required to show ID the first time they vote.
And really? You have to pay taxes to vote Blake? Does that mean that if you make so little that you get a refund of anything you paid in (or even better-a refund + EIC) you shouldn't get a vote because you didn't pay in??? Yeah, ok.
johnroach100
Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:13:49 PM
Originally Posted by: joan 

And really? You have to pay taxes to vote Blake? Does that mean that if you make so little that you get a refund of anything you paid in (or even better-a refund + EIC) you shouldn't get a vote because you didn't pay in??? Yeah, ok.

Especially if you get an EIC you shouldn't be able to vote. Why should anybody get more from the government than was taken from their paychecks? Those voters will only vote for more of the same, and I like keeping what I earn.
joan
  •  joan
  • 57.04% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:55:24 PM
Are you serious??? So, basically you're saying the working poor shouldn't be allowed to vote? Nice.
Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:02:17 PM
I think it was a little crooked to start this law in an election year. PA is offering free photo id's because of this but I just hope DOT that issues these is capable of the large influx of applicants. Even if it wasn't free it is $13.50 for 8 years (less than $1.75 a year). I don't see any reason why anyone would not have one and how they can not live without one. You need an ID as part of life and more than just polling places you need to show it.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:31:04 PM
Originally Posted by: Benjibear 

I think it was a little crooked to start this law in an election year. PA is offering free photo id's because of this but I just hope DOT that issues these is capable of the large influx of applicants. Even if it wasn't free it is $13.50 for 8 years (less than $1.75 a year). I don't see any reason why anyone would not have one and how they can not live without one. You need an ID as part of life and more than just polling places you need to show it.

Agree on folks being able to get an ID, not sure what it costs here in Michigan but I know it's not much. I know to renew my drivers license it only costs $12. I can't tell you how many folks would come and ask for work, get hired, and when I handed them paperwork to fill out and asked for their ID to copy and be able to use for a background check, I was told "I don't have one." My response was "you need to get one, and ASAP. On an I-9 form, one of the requirements is an ID of some sort, and if you don't have an I-9 form filled out completely and accurately, it's a huge fine from the federal government. We actually scheduled an off day or off morning to give folks rides to the Secretary of State office so they could get at least a state ID. I would ask them how they got through life without an ID, how did they apply for other jobs? Of course, under the table for cash work, no one asks for ID, right?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Bowler Roller
Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:29:42 AM
I haven't needed to show a valid picture ID since I've had my CDL: about 8-10 years. If I need to rent a motel room, for example, an expired ID has always worked for me.

While on the road, I never had an ID. The only job for which I've ever had to show ID was a driving job.

Many people fear to get an ID because they're afraid they'll be arrested for unpaid tickets, unpaid child support, or whatever other minor crap they have hanging over their heads.

johnroach100
Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:36:33 AM
Originally Posted by: joan 

Are you serious??? So, basically you're saying the working poor shouldn't be allowed to vote? Nice.

I posted a reply earlier and it didn't seem to show up. If this is a double post I apologize.

Of course the working poor should be able to vote. Only those who get more from the government than they give shouldn't be able to vote. That's like letting the employees hire and fire the person who sets their salaries.

On another note, in the past week I've seen a family buy premium ice cream and other goodies, another family buy steaks, and a guy buy three gallons of ketchup and all three used ebt cards. They shouldn't be allowed to vote either. If you can't pay your own way, you shouldn't be allowed to dictate who does.

Joan, you once said with grants college can be basically free. Nothing is free. Do you not realize somebody has to pay for everything? Those grants come from my taxes and I want to keep my money and help who I want, not some moocher who wants a free ride.
johnroach100
Thursday, March 22, 2012 12:43:12 AM
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

I haven't needed to show a valid picture ID since I've had my CDL: about 8-10 years. If I need to rent a motel room, for example, an expired ID has always worked for me.

While on the road, I never had an ID. The only job for which I've ever had to show ID was a driving job.

Many people fear to get an ID because they're afraid they'll be arrested for unpaid tickets, unpaid child support, or whatever other minor crap they have hanging over their heads.

This was posted while I was replying to another post. They fear an ID because they will be arrested for not paying their way?

You make a kid, you pay for it. Why did you make the kid if you don't want to take responsibility? You break the law, you pay the fine. Is not supporting a a child you created minor crap? Why should lawbreakers get to vote? Are these the kind of people we want guiding the future of this country?