johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, February 27, 2012 1:46:51 AM
Tre and I are having a pm discussion about the worth of a college education in the outdoor amusement industry and I got to wondering how many people out there have had some college and what they thought of it's worth. A close friend said she wishes she had the 40k back, what do others think?
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, February 27, 2012 8:10:42 AM
I know a lot of the Vivonas have college degrees, several are Duke graduates. Lots of others with college degrees out there. I am not employed in the industry but my degrees are woth close to 6 figures a year.
ridejocky
Monday, February 27, 2012 8:19:28 AM
I got my degree after I left the show, but it was and continues to be well worth the time, effort & money. It also would have been useful had I stuck with the show, and would probably be useful if I ever wanted to get back with it. Doesn't hurt to have something to fall back on either.

As far as the money, I'd of just spent it on something else. Keep in mind, the degree is good forever and never wears out.
Ride the Zipper?
Bowler Roller
Monday, February 27, 2012 1:09:54 PM
I know it's hard for young people to understand, but I couldn't afford to go to college, so I didn't.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Shar6Lew
Monday, February 27, 2012 7:56:57 PM
I grew up on the road, but one thing I was always told was to get a degree in something.....you can always fall back on it and it never expires. I'm no longer on the road, but I do play local events with food/games of my own and now work for the Federal Government. The same can be said about farmers....do they really need a degree to do what they love....in this day and age they do.
massachusettsman
Monday, February 27, 2012 10:17:06 PM
im going to a community college for 2 years then hitting the road full time because I figure if the carnival lifestyle isnt for me at least ill have a degree and im not paying a fortune
squirrel
Tuesday, February 28, 2012 4:43:38 PM
I can tell there's a personal war going on -- and I'm sorry to see it. But at this point, the fight doesn't belong out in public.

This is a good topic for discussion, but not for arguing...
DanTheBooker
Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:04:32 PM
I will say this. I don't have a college education. Just a high school diploma. Many of my friends have graduated with a four year degree and have been in their focused fields for 18 months now. I guarantee you I know more about my primary business than they know about theirs. And I make more than them with no tuition to pay back.

I have known since I was a seven year old kid, I want to own a circus. Not many degrees would help me do that. To go out and bill poster for this show, or run lights and sound on that show. Or work concessions for this guy. THAT'S my college education.

With all of that said, my banker has told me "If you had a business degree, we'd be more than happy to give you a start-up loan for a small business."[banghead2
Benjibear
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:36:59 AM
There is a difference between having an education and having a degree.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
2ndgencarnie
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:12:04 PM
I miss GoGator, these type of fights where so much fun...
Soda Guy
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:22:04 PM
Originally Posted by: 2ndgencarnie 

I miss GoGator, these type of fights where so much fun...

What was it 3 or 4 years since he has been around.

I just remember him being the king of what needs to be booked where.

2ndgencarnie
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:17:10 PM
Originally Posted by: Soda Guy 

What was it 3 or 4 years since he has been around.

I just remember him being the king of what needs to be booked where.

It's definitely been a while. And you're right, he did know when and where rides should be...

These two fighting like this just reminds me of how easy it was to fight with that guy. My favorite day on MCW was that day With-it & I racked that guy up...
Soda Guy
Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:53:38 PM

Originally Posted by: DanTheBooker 

I will say this. I don't have a college education. Just a high school diploma. Many of my friends have graduated with a four year degree and have been in their focused fields for 18 months now. I guarantee you I know more about my primary business than they know about theirs. And I make more than them with no tuition to pay back.

I have known since I was a seven year old kid, I want to own a circus. Not many degrees would help me do that. To go out and bill poster for this show, or run lights and sound on that show. Or work concessions for this guy. THAT'S my college education.

With all of that said, my banker has told me "If you had a business degree, we'd be more than happy to give you a start-up loan for a small business."[banghead2

Dan I can understand where you are coming from, but please let me offer this up. First a degree Doesn't mean you are educated. But after saying that I am a firm beliver in everyone getting a college education. See the problem with your banker is there is no measurement for the education in the business that you have, just what you say you know. That doesn't translate to paper. Now if you would take your experience, get a degree online or from a Jr. College or both then you have experience, and paper. With both of those it is easier for the banker and the loan board at the bank to feel good about their decision. What you are doing is making it easier for them to say no.

I hope you don't think I am picking on you, I just wanted to use your situation as a case study.

joan
  •  joan
  • 57.04% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Friday, March 2, 2012 9:28:38 PM
I have a bachelors degree in English Lit. We got off the road for two years when I had my 13 year old and my oldest was starting school. In that time, I got my associates, then I spent three years finishing at a state university while playing an abbreviated route. I suppose I could probably find a job in my field, if I tried, but I doubt I'd make the same money I do working the joint. Also, this business has been great to my kids. Nowhere else can you have your children with you at the level they are in this industry (at least, in my personal experience).
I'm not sorry that I spent the time, and I'm glad I have the degree. I might not feel that way if I had spent $40,000 on it though.
Community College+State University+Pell Grants=an almost zero cost education, minus the work lost while I was in school.

My daughter, however, just finished high school, which cost me nearly $30,000 and is at a $28,000 a year private university with nearly 80% tuition covered by academic scholarships. I will never regret the expense of educating her in the manner she needed. She's got absolutely no interest in this business, and I believe her degree will serve her well.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, March 2, 2012 10:55:03 PM
I keep telling kids, get all the education you can get. Its that pc of paper that gets you in the door. College wasn't for me and I knew it. My skill sets aren't taught in college, trade school was better option. I'm a hands on person. I learn by doing and experience. WHat I learned on the midway served me well as a Maint tech. There was very I couldn't do and always got top wages for the companies I worked for. I was offered supervisory position and knew that wasn't for me either. The midway also gave me something they can't teach, a good work ethic. You have to have that degree now so don't hesitate. As my grandfather told me so many times, what you learn can never be taken away from you.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked