c21shows
  •  c21shows
  • 55.64% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:21:45 AM
I saw where Gold Medal Shows recently purchased the Space Wheels, and plans a complete restoration. Does anyone have any idea how long a restoration like that will take and when they may debut it on the midway? I realize the restoration time frame is up to the owners and how much time and resources they can commit to the project. Just wondered if someone had some insight. Thanks
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:48:11 PM
Too many variables. How far are they going to go, equipment available, help skill level, how much is out sourced. What shape they are in at the start, parts availability for starters 3 months to a couple of years
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
c21shows
  •  c21shows
  • 55.64% (Neutral)
Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:31:49 PM
Thanks for the response. I realized it would be a hard question to answer outside of the owners themselves responding with a time line. I know there are more spectacular rides today on the midways, but for me, what a nostalgic piece! If someone has any direct info, would really enjoy hearing about it.
Skywheelrider
Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:58:25 PM
Lynn there has been discussion about the Space Wheels over at Facebook, specifically in the Forgotten Carnival Rides group. I suggested your name to the moderators to add to the group, and friend requested you as well. The guy that moves Guthrie's Sky Wheel said in the group he will be working on the Space Wheels as well.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/112869962123676/ 

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
c21shows
  •  c21shows
  • 55.64% (Neutral)
Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:19:02 PM
Chris, thank you, that's very thoughtful!!! Believe me, I will certainly enjoy that forum on FB.

By the way everyone, if by chance this was the wrong forum to post my SW question, I apologize. This was my first venture on the Amusement Industry Discussion. I'm just a rookie here!!!
Skywheelrider
Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:01:54 PM
You're welcome, and yes, this is absolutely the correct forum for this topic. That's a great group, lot's of great photos and discussions on rare, old, forgotten rides and shows.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
JustinJames
Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:28:51 PM
The ride is in respectively GOOD shape... Should not take Guthrie's crew very long at all.
c21shows
  •  c21shows
  • 55.64% (Neutral)
Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:40:55 PM
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

The ride is in respectively GOOD shape... Should not take Guthrie's crew very long at all.

Thank you! Would someone let us know when the ride makes it out on a route? I live in the southeast, and I believe I saw where the show that has it is located in Georgia, I live in Alabama. I've always wanted to see it, this time I don't want the opportunity to pass me by!!!

One more question, do you know if they plan on changing the lighting? So many rides are going to LED’S. I think the SW had fluorescent’s, right?
Pete
  •  Pete
  • 53.6% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Saturday, February 18, 2012 10:02:59 PM
Originally Posted by: Skywheelrider 

You're welcome, and yes, this is absolutely the correct forum for this topic. That's a great group, lot's of great photos and discussions on rare, old, forgotten rides and shows.

I am a huge fan of older rides, but I also understand that there is a reason that rides are "Rare, old and forgotten" Please understand that this is not a knock on this particular ride or its owner and I hope to see it in full glory some time in the near future, but in most instances the rides that you no longer see on the modern American midway are gone because they A: don't win a quarter B: are to hard to move with the crew we have available now C: don't impress the fairs that we play.
Age is not a great barometer as some rides older than this are still going strong IE: Tilt A Whirl, Scrambler, Wheel, octopus/ Spider ETC., the big difference is that these rides are still popular with the customer and not just us "fans".
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, February 19, 2012 12:09:24 AM
Originally Posted by: Pete 

I am a huge fan of older rides, but I also understand that there is a reason that rides are "Rare, old and forgotten" Please understand that this is not a knock on this particular ride or its owner and I hope to see it in full glory some time in the near future, but in most instances the rides that you no longer see on the modern American midway are gone because they A: don't win a quarter B: are to hard to move with the crew we have available now C: don't impress the fairs that we play.
Age is not a great barometer as some rides older than this are still going strong IE: Tilt A Whirl, Scrambler, Wheel, octopus/ Spider ETC., the big difference is that these rides are still popular with the customer and not just us "fans".

Pete, big pieces like that don't always win big money. Most are flash pcs. Skydiver being one. Some fair boards are impressed with those pcs. They are eye catchers and tend to draw people to the midway. People may not ride it but ride something less spectacular. Its more a case of if a show can afford it. And help does have something to do it.

I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Keith
Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:15:11 PM
Originally Posted by: c21shows 

I think the SW had fluorescent’s, right?

Yes, Green and Yellow when they were on Royal.
jimb
  •  jimb
  • 52.34% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:52:37 PM
Billy, What about the bulgy-the-whale?LOL
Pete
  •  Pete
  • 53.6% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:03:57 PM
Originally Posted by: jimb 

Billy, What about the bulgy-the-whale?LOL

Prime example of what I was saying. The ride is still popular with the customer and has been copied (sort of) by Hampton, SBF, Sartori and others. You can buy a new one right now. Almost any successful ride that has ever been built has a version of it still being built by some manufacturer somewhere, the ones that are no longer successful (for any number of reasons) are not being built. Next time you are playing around on the computer see if you can find somebody building a Toboggan!

P.S. The Bulgy doesn't fit in the old and forgotten category as there are still plenty of the original rides out operating now.
JustinJames
Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:15:27 PM
Originally Posted by: Pete 

Prime example of what I was saying. The ride is still popular with the customer and has been copied (sort of) by Hampton, SBF, Sartori and others. You can buy a new one right now. Almost any successful ride that has ever been built has a version of it still being built by some manufacturer somewhere, the ones that are no longer successful (for any number of reasons) are not being built. Next time you are playing around on the computer see if you can find somebody building a Toboggan!

P.S. The Bulgy doesn't fit in the old and forgotten category as there are still plenty of the original rides out operating now.

Ironically, McDonagh's Toboggan usually placed in the top five at thier fairs up against rides like the Bobs and such. Just sayin...
Skywheelrider
Monday, February 20, 2012 2:40:58 AM
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

Ironically, McDonagh's Toboggan usually placed in the top five at thier fairs up against rides like the Bobs and such. Just sayin...

Most spots the Sky Wheel did very well also. It depends on the spot....in the midwest rides like the Sky Wheel do very well, but down south, not so much. A ride like a Sky Wheel is a ride to draw folks to a carnival; you're driving down the road and see the Sky Wheel standing tall, or at night brightly lit, and you know there's a carnival there, many folks get excited and either stop or come back. Committee's usually love rides like that, it still today is a spectacular ride, whether it makes money or not. Sometimes just the fact it draws folks to the midway is good enough for the show, and makes it worth moving. You do have to have a capable crew though, that much is absolutely true, and with the help shows tend to get today, it does get harder and harder.