johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:44:25 PM
I heard a reference to this and had to find it:

Adam Carolla rant 

It has strong language, but very descriptive.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:39:36 PM
Very descriptive indeed, and he doesn't hold back. If you can get past the language, he makes a lot of good points. Especially interesting is the way he portray's many of the Occupy folks based on their age and the era in which they were raised, the 'participation trophy' era. I found that to be interesting, in that I grew up in basically the same era as he did, and my brother played soccer for both the YMCA and then a local traveling team, and the only kids that got a trophy were the teams that finished first. Everyone else, well, keep the t-shirt, see you next Spring (or Autumn). Now, so as not to offend anyone or give kids low self-esteem, ALL kids get a 'participation' trophy. And that has morphed into a sort of 'entitlement' belief from these folks.

It used to be you saw someone driving an expensive vehicle, and you wondered what they did to get that vehicle, you wanted to own one just like it one day, and you tried to figure out how you could to that. Now, these folks see the same thing, and think "why does he get to drive one of those and I don't, that's not fair. Instead of working to get one myself, like he did, I'll just take his away from him to make us equal."

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Bowler Roller
Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:36:11 PM
The only way to level the playing field is knock everyone down to the bottom, and keep them there.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Benjibear
Friday, December 30, 2011 1:50:16 PM
We are not only in the "participation trophy" era but in the "participation HS diploma" era. To fail a kid or hold them back a year in school takes a kid that is really bad and parents to agree or even ask the school to hold the kid back. A lot of schools don't give "grades" at report card time. You don't want to hurt the kids feelings.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Bowler Roller
Friday, December 30, 2011 3:44:02 PM
That's why I never admit to having a diploma. I never earned it. They just gave it to me, when they realized I didn't want it.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Skywheelrider
Friday, December 30, 2011 5:54:00 PM
Originally Posted by: Benjibear 

We are not only in the "participation trophy" era but in the "participation HS diploma" era. To fail a kid or hold them back a year in school takes a kid that is really bad and parents to agree or even ask the school to hold the kid back. A lot of schools don't give "grades" at report card time. You don't want to hurt the kids feelings.

Spot on. To add to that, in many schools, the use of a red pen to mark papers/tests has been 'banned,' so to speak, in favor of more 'soothing' colors like purple or green, so as not to 'upset' kids and parents. Reality is, kids today are coddled, compared to when I was the same age. I knew plenty of kids when I was in school that were held back; now, you just can't do that without jumping through a bunch of hoops, and ultimately getting (ie, begging) the parents to say yes (I know, my sisters both work in education, one is an elementary school principal, and the other is a high school counselor/teacher, and my Dad was an elementary school principal and teacher for almost forty years, my Mother was an elementary school teacher for just as long, both retired a few years ago). To even get 'help' for students that need it, you practically have to beg the parents to agree to it.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Skywheelrider
Friday, December 30, 2011 5:55:30 PM
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

The only way to level the playing field is knock everyone down to the bottom, and keep them there.

Exactly. That's why so many folks are kept poor. Yes, KEPT poor, and relying on others for what they need.

Benjibear
Saturday, December 31, 2011 12:52:42 PM
The funny thing is that my parents would say I was coddled too much. I think every generation has contributed to this.

Everything is always the teachers and schools fault. The parents can't take any of the blame.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Skywheelrider
Saturday, December 31, 2011 2:07:24 PM
Originally Posted by: Benjibear 

The funny thing is that my parents would say I was coddled too much. I think every generation has contributed to this.

Everything is always the teachers and schools fault. The parents can't take any of the blame.

Oh I know, we see it all the time here in the Detroit area. Detroit Public Schools are talked about all the time, and it's always negative--students are failing, dropping out, schools don't teach students anymore, students have no interest in school, students need help and claim they can't get it, test scores are low, schools are failing, it comes down to the teachers being called horrible and the school district doesn't care. But nowhere are the parents mentioned; what are they doing to help the students, take an interest in their schooling, get them help if they need it, talk to their teachers/administrators, etc. Even in suburban schools (like our local district, where my sisters work), they say parental involvement anymore is abysmal, many just don't care, and use the schools as 'daycare' and the teachers are just viewed as 'babysitters.' That is until the school says "your child is failing," then it's all the school's fault, 100%. A shame.

I recall Bill Cosby touched on this subject many times, calling for more parental responsibility, and all he got was ridicule from a lot of folks.

Blake
  •  Blake
  • 51.56% (Neutral)
  • Operations
Friday, January 27, 2012 10:19:53 PM
I tell my buds OWS is a put on. The movie marketers needed to advertise Atlas Shrugged  parts II and III.

Blake