geewizz66
Friday, October 21, 2011 9:40:35 PM
Quote:

Very nice Geewizz, which show does the Rock-O-Plane travel with again? I didn't see it on Butler's or Brown's Amusements lineup.

It's on my Show, Sun Valley Rides. We play Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and once in a while West Texas. It's not a piece that I book out much as the capacity is less than my Silver Streak or Gee Wizz. The footprint is about the same.

I think that you were in Yuma this spring and I had my Super Loops, Streak and Glass House in with Brown's and that was my Popper in Kid Land.

Thanks,

Steve
geewizz66 attached the following image(s):

Geewizz66
EvolutionRider88
Friday, October 21, 2011 10:50:31 PM
Originally Posted by: geewizz66 

It's on my Show, Sun Valley Rides. We play Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and once in a while West Texas. It's not a piece that I book out much as the capacity is less than my Silver Streak or Gee Wizz. The footprint is about the same.

I think that you were in Yuma this spring and I had my Super Loops, Streak and Glass House in with Brown's and that was my Popper in Kid Land.

Thanks,

Steve

I might consider going to Yuma sometime in the future whenever I get the time and money. I really like to see Christiansen's Rock-O-Plane; I've never seen or ridden it. Its a really nice piece especially with those LEDs on the sweeps.
The Evolution is now...Evilution! Ride If You Dare!
geewizz66
Friday, October 21, 2011 11:20:53 PM
Here are two other Rock O Plane rides that I've owned over the years. The top one, I traded an old Round Up to Roger Payne for it in 1998 and then sold it to Mexico in 2001. It had a ton of turbo lights on it, we ended up having to run 3 phase to the center just to run the damn lights! It was a Vomberg Mount very similar to that of a Wisdom.

The lower one, I bought from Jimmy Lowery, Bill Lowery's younger brother, in 2002 or 2003. We removed the flourescent tubes and built the startlite bars out of down spout and built a new sign. This was a Wisdom Mount and the Hydraulic drive was two-directional, very easy to operate. I sold this Rock to a rental company in Southern California in 2007 and then bought the one that we have now. Doubles are really the only way to go for a smaller show that travels a ton of miles.

geewizz66 attached the following image(s):

Geewizz66
BAZOOKIE
Sunday, October 23, 2011 9:40:17 PM
The Rock is for sure one of the most popular rides on our show. Used 27 weeks a year and it runs flawless. Light package was swapped last year from fluorescent to turbo and some new paint. Most customers still refer to it as the zipper.

Chris "Bazookie"
Ontario, Canada
“We will make electricity so cheap that only the rich will burn candles.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mikecroaro
Monday, October 24, 2011 1:16:53 PM
Originally Posted by: geewizz66 

............ Doubles are really the only way to go for a smaller show that travels a ton of miles.

Doubles? What do you mean when he uses this term. Also, I am curious as to why you have purchased and sold so many of the units?

Thanks,

Mike
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, October 24, 2011 3:41:13 PM
Originally Posted by: mikecroaro 

Doubles? What do you mean when he uses this term. Also, I am curious as to why you have purchased and sold so many of the units?

Thanks,

Mike

doubles -- two rides hooked to one truck. double trailers
massachusettsman
Monday, October 24, 2011 8:04:39 PM
Ive always wondered this question can you double up 2 53 foot trailers or can they only be 27 feet or smaller my guess is you cant with the 53 footers but im not sure
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, October 24, 2011 8:38:32 PM
Originally Posted by: massachusettsman 

Ive always wondered this question can you double up 2 53 foot trailers or can they only be 27 feet or smaller my guess is you cant with the 53 footers but im not sure

53 footers on the Mass Turnpike only. In most states there is an overall vehicle length.

I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
massachusettsman
Monday, October 24, 2011 8:57:07 PM
Originally Posted by: flamo 

53 footers on the Mass Turnpike only. In most states there is an overall vehicle length.

ok thank you! i was wondering why the mass pike was the only road i saw those trailers on
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, October 24, 2011 9:19:41 PM
Back in the 60s they allowed 40' doubles on the pike. CT had an overall of some where around 50' It was a tough state for inspections. Xmas tree haulers got nailed for over width (8') for tree limbs hanging over. They also jailed drivers that were over weight until the fine was paid. MA was tough on Sundays unless you had mail or produce. It was either 8 AM to 6 PM or 6 AM to 8 PM. I should remember, I paid enough $50 fines for it. Also in MA in some little towns I paid $50 fines for setting up on Sundays. Back then you opened on Monday and closed Sat night. We played a spot a week until fair season.Almost all rides were ground mounted, very few game trailers ( lots of canvas joints) If you want more history just ask. I remember when Colbert and Fenelli started.
geewizz66
Monday, October 24, 2011 10:40:53 PM
Quote:

Doubles? What do you mean when he uses this term. Also, I am curious as to why you have purchased and sold so many of the units? Thanks, Mike

The Eyerly Mounted Rock O Plane is about 26' long. You can legally pull up to two 28' pup trailers in all states. Our route encompasses 6,000 miles, Arizona to Wyoming to Central Nebraska back to Arizona through Eastern Colorado, the panhandle of Texas, New Mexico - it's a long season. Each load (with the current fuel prices) is about 28 - 32k per year to transport (insurance, fuel, drivers and maintenance, etc.) I didn't have a lot of money when I started the show in 1988 and had to practically start over again in 1999 due to an Insurance Company out of West Sacramento that didn't cover a vehicle claim. I know, TMI but I traded up for better equipment. I've owned two Zippers over the past several years and they are maintenance whores. The Rock O Plane doesn't quite gross as much as the Zipper but the net is certainly better. The smaller fairs and festivals that I play are just as happy with a nice Rock as they would be with a nice Zipper. You can't double up a Zipper though.

We can and do pull "Rocky Mountain" doubles out here and that is where the first trailer can be up to 40' and the pup is 28' - overall load isnt' supposed to be more than 75'. LOL I've got some alligator loads though. 90' and 97'!

Geewizz66
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:25:56 AM
A Zumur seems like a good fit for you. Small show the marks will ride it. We had very few problems with ours.