Randy D.
  •  Randy D.
  • 52.04% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, August 22, 2011 12:44:15 PM
Anyone have a trip report and ride lineup? Sounds like they had a record year in Springfield this year.
Rockowheel
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:25:40 PM
Although I personally might be afraid to ask, I too would be interested in just what NAME brought in to Springfield this year. Sorry to say the Ill. fair midway has seemed to lack something in years. But then again I'm spoiled from those great years when it was in Happy Hollow and the Olson Shows would play it....
Hippie Bill
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:46:18 PM
Stay in the joint all day during the heat and the spot was worth a few dollars, but nothing huge.
"Hit the last two and finish it up for the large."
Flying Coaster
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:47:15 PM
It has most definitely been lacking something, since about 1990.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Rockowheel
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:12:38 PM
I remember well the days when the Sky Wheel sat at the entrance to Happy Hollow, and the amazing way it was blocked so high.
There was nothing like the view looking down at the midway from above at the top of the hills surrounding that area, especially at night.
Flying Coaster
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 9:38:54 PM
Originally Posted by: Rockowheel 

I remember well the days when the Sky Wheel sat at the entrance to Happy Hollow, and the amazing way it was blocked so high.
There was nothing like the view looking down at the midway from above at the top of the hills surrounding that area, especially at night.

Notice the front of the trailer in that night shot, I could walk under the king pin and I'm 6-4". It was always a major project blocking on that hill, lots of cranking and jacking.

Randy D.
  •  Randy D.
  • 52.04% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:25:54 AM
I agree Springfield is very different than years ago. It does not have the big multi trailer rides anymore. NAME sends their big iron over to the Indiana State Fair. I guess Illinois is much different since the State Capital is not a big city. If Springfield had the population of Chicago, it would be one of the top fairs in the Country. However, it is a very nice fair with one of the lowest gates in the Country and does not have the crime issues as the bigger cities. Have not seen any real big iron since Link played this fair. I am interested in what was booked in with NAME. Tinsley usually books in quite a few pieces and wondering if Casper booked in the wave swinger or the Nemisis 360 which are both very nice looking pieces. I am very surprised a coaster or flume has not been booked into the fair since the 90's. Also, I am not knocking NAME at all they have a first class show with alot of big Spectaculars just too bad Indy overlaps with Illinois and Indy does get more of the big pieces.
Flying Coaster
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:36:20 AM
I saw the Wave Swinger on a news clip, can't be sure it wasn't file footage though. The local media doesn't even give the midway any attention.
Flying Coaster
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:33:54 PM
Do either of you guys remember back in 1974 (pretty sure it was 74) when the midway was just inside the fence on the east side of the fairgrounds, kind of east/northeast of its current location? Not sure why the midway was not in the hollow that year, but the Seattle wheel was there (just called Giant Wheel at the time). I've heard from another member who was there that year, with Deggeller. Drew had just gotten it and was honoring some dates for the previous owner.
Rockowheel
Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:40:00 AM
I do remember well, when the midway was placed away from the Happy Hollow spot; more near the grandstand, right? It seemed so weird and smaller then compared to Happy Hollow, and if I remember right, they had a few duplicate rides and what stuck out in my mind was two Roll-o-planes. Then the midway was put back into Happy Hollow.
I alos remember a small independant midway with just a few rides away from the main midway by the name of Hackett Amusements. There was a Paratrooper and Loop-o-plane and just a few others placed there.
Flying Coaster
Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:08:15 AM
Originally Posted by: Rockowheel 

I do remember well, when the midway was placed away from the Happy Hollow spot; more near the grandstand, right? It seemed so weird and smaller then compared to Happy Hollow, and if I remember right, they had a few duplicate rides and what stuck out in my mind was two Roll-o-planes. Then the midway was put back into Happy Hollow.
I alos remember a small independant midway with just a few rides away from the main midway by the name of Hackett Amusements. There was a Paratrooper and Loop-o-plane and just a few others placed there.

That particular year, yes there were lots of duplicates. I remember 2 roundups, 2 Zippers, along with the Seattle wheel being there and a Fly-O-Plane too.

ridejocky
Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:07:15 PM
Dang, that wheel is lit right down to the stub-towers!
Ride the Zipper?
Flying Coaster
Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:19:14 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

Dang, that wheel is lit right down to the stub-towers!

Yeah Forrest kept his wheel in nice shape for sure, he was very meticulous.
Matt C.
Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:19:49 PM
Randy, not sure about Casper's Wave Swinger, but the Nemesis 360 was not there because it conflicts with the show owned Freak Out.

Flying Coaster - great old pictures! Happy Hollow was before my time, but its interesting to read about.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
aba
  •  aba
  • 51.2% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:52:58 PM
Wave Swinger was there. New Ride was a Rainbow. NO Spinout. Also there was no Kamakzie type rides there this year. Other than that pretty much the same line up as last year. Also no hurricane ride from American Banner Amusements.