Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Saturday, April 2, 2011 10:47:29 PM
Here it is guys! Been almost a years worth of work on and off of course but its finally done! Its a real close replica of the one Farrow moved until the late 1990s then it went to Bluegrass and now DixieLand owns it. Here is a list of mods that I can think of (prob a ton more):

-Removed Don's metal boxes on trailers and built my own with tool box on roof and gantry rails

-Operator stand and fence from Anthony at Laser Tech

-Trailer braces made from square metal stock-soldered on, Don's dont come with those

-Soldered real axles underneath with chrome moving wheels

-Mud Flaps

-Matching Tractors

-Rear bumpers with tail light engraved and license plates

-Sign graphics from Chris Hurley

-Used 3d paint on the "sky wheel" signs and copied McDonnagh's new look on theirs

Thanks Dan Lusk for your webshots! They were a savior along with photos I acquired myself last summer. Here is a novice you tube vid of it too. Hope it all works..

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

You Tube Cummons Sky Wheel 

My webshots album of the Sky Wheel 

Ryan Russell
Saturday, April 2, 2011 11:41:56 PM
One of the best out there. Excellent job.
Skywheelrider
Sunday, April 3, 2011 3:12:51 AM
Wow! That looks awesome! The video is very cool, the model looks fantastic. Nice job! I'm jealous! LOL

If you want to be even more realistic with fence signage, I have quite a few different 'safety' signs you could look at if you're interested.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
carnivalkits
Sunday, April 3, 2011 8:27:52 AM
Nice! Worth all the work you put into it. The little details sure make it one of a kind. What Graphis software do you use?

Rich
AGS
  •  AGS
  • 55.38% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
BeauceCarnavalMan
Sunday, April 3, 2011 2:29:08 PM
wow looks like the real deal, great work.
BeauceCarnavalMan
LaserTechStudios
Sunday, April 3, 2011 7:12:02 PM
turned out AWESOME Ted! Runs super smooth too! What kind of fishing line did you use for the cables? I can only find clear stuff.
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, April 3, 2011 8:46:56 PM
Ted, that is absolutely beautiful!

That was by far the best looking Skywheel ever out there, and kudos to the Shupers and Mike Williams.

Very impressive model!!
Matt C.
Monday, April 4, 2011 1:39:40 PM
Ted, that has got to be the best looking Cummons Sky Wheel out there. Great job!
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
FNO Sean
  •  FNO Sean
  • 57.68% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:26:46 AM
I agree with Matt. That the best looking and most detailed Sky Wheel out there. She truly is the king of wheels on your show Ted.
skywheel88
Thursday, April 7, 2011 12:09:24 PM
WOW! Awesome job Ted, it really pays to take your time.
Kenny.

Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:00:06 AM
Thanks for the comments guys! It nice to get some feedback on stuff youve worked so hard on! My dog isnt much for that here lol..

@Rich- I dont use anything too complicate as far as software for graphics. Usually just photoshop.

@Anthony- Im not 100% sure on the fishing line on the cables. They came pre-strung from Don. Then he always wraps some extra on a piece of scrap incase you need to make another one sometime. I would be terrified to have to make a new line for it. I had to study the cable pattern for probably 1/2 hour before I disassembled it. Then had to draw a diagram so I knew how to restring it!

skydiver77
Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:01:34 PM
Lucky! Don's stuff IS the best..still kicking myself for letting his Sky Diver go. 😞 I just built an 8-car Sky Diver out of a K'nex Ferris Wheel set, and i'm happy with the outcome. The scissor-lift looks original & i made the diamond Sky Diver sign, the cars roll good, and am now working on the hills in between the cars. But, nothing like Don's Sky Diver though. lol