Skywheelrider
Wednesday, March 9, 2011 8:23:25 PM
http://www.investors.com/NewsAn...65496&obref=outbrain 

So, thirty five percent of Americans are getting some sort of money from the government. That's up from twenty one percent in 2000 and ten percent in 1960. That's 1/3 of the nation!

For all of you that think this is just fine, that 'spreading the wealth,' using the Robin Hood principle of taking from so-called 'rich' to give to those that don't have as much, or basically 'from each according to his ability to each according to his needs,' read the book Atlas Shrugged. I am about 2/3 of the way through it, and if this is what you want (like liberal progressives do), read the book, and what happens in the book, that's eventually the result you will get. Keep taking from the 'rich' and after awhile there will not be any 'rich' to take from, and no one will work according their ability, only enough to have their 'needs' taken care of by someone else.

You should earn what you get, and be able to keep what you earn.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:04:05 PM
Tell us your position on this? Who pays for your health care? You never explained that before.
UserPostedImage
Benjibear
Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:11:21 PM
Of it course it is going to be up. In 2000 while things were slowing down from what happened in the mid 90s, but things were still fairly good and unemployment was still fairly low. Unemployment is very high now and I am sure many people have moved to being on welfare because they couldn't find jobs and had to do something. Yeah, some are lazy but I am not sure the percentage of lazy people wanting to be on welfare has increased that much.

Comparing to the 60s before medicare and when social security actually had excess that we "borrowed" for other projects. Of course it was going to be lower back then. Just because it was lower doesn't mean that it is bad.

Also, I just wonder how many people here including the poster of this topic that work for a carnival in the summer collect unemployment after the season. I know when I was out that number was fairly high. I always thought how was that fair that you take a seasonal job and collect probably more then you paid in. I have been working steady for 13 years and never had to collect.

Granted there is a welfare problem in this country but there is also a bigger greed problem.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
johnroach100
Wednesday, March 9, 2011 10:05:52 PM
Not to nit-pick, but you got it wrong. It didn't say 35% of Americans get some sort of government handout, it said 35% of the money people get comes from the government. That means about a third of the money paid out was taken from somebody who earned it and give to somebody who didn't. Not all was unearned, because social security payments were earned up to a point, and unemployment was taken from paychecks. But after a point people are getting back more than they paid in. There are jobs out there but very few people are going to take a job that pays less than they can mooch.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:35:38 AM
John you are correct, I phrased my response incorrectly. I understand social security, and those that worked and paid in should get that money back. But there are those that do not work at all any part of the year, have not worked, or refuse to work, getting money from the government, as you said, off the backs of those that do work.

Unemployment, yes, I have collected unemployment for parts of Winters. I paid in, and got back far less than I paid in while working. I also save money throughout the season for use during the Winter (and beyond if need be). I earn my salary, pay my taxes, do it the way the law says you are supposed to. I have never collected and worked while collecting (for cash) as some do. I never asked for any sort of extension, I would much rather work. But at the same time, I paid in, so did the company on my behalf, that is money I earned, so why not get at least some of it back, instead of it all going to some deadbeat who refuses to work at all or even look for work; or collects from the government and also works for cash so the government doesn't find out.

Piney, I don't owe you any explanation, your opinion is of no value to me, I could not care less what you think. You don't pay for my health care, nothing more needs to be said.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." -- Thomas Jefferson

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking....is freedom." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
indianacarnie
Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:28:16 AM
Well...... MY health care comes from the V.A. so I guess I'm one of those "moochers" who take more than they put in. (health care and the tests/medications I need are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE imho)
I have never taken unemployment insurance btw,even when I worked for a salary. If I didn't save enough during the year then I worked all winter.
No welfare either.
Other than that I think benjibear hit the nail on the head in his reply. In times of economic turmoil OF COURSE you will have more people needing help/assistance than in times of prosperity. As I've said before, I would much rather 10 people who don't need help get it, than to have 1 person who DOES need it NOT to get it. Maybe you ought to read or re-read 1 Corinthians 13 again :

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profits me nothing.

4 Charity suffers long, and is kind; charity envies not; charity braggs not itself, is not puffed up, 5 Does not behave itself unseemly, seeks not her own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil; 6 Rejoices not in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 Bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Charity never fails: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. 13 And now stays faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:20:56 PM
What about all the poor souls on SS disability for abusing drugs and those eating everything in site, until they are obese, looking like short,squat black angus ccattle, and and then getting disability and health care.

They should all be sent to a sweat camp to recover or be shot. You are what you eat.

You can find the sex perverts on line but the American People need to know who is on the disability list.
UserPostedImage
johnroach100
Friday, March 11, 2011 12:26:06 AM
First, I don't have any problem with veterans getting everything they need, emphasis on need, for health care. That was part of the contract. You sign up, go take a chance on getting killed defending us, and we'll take care of your health care forever.

I really don't have a problem with seasonal workers collecting unemployment up to the amount they and their employers paid in. That money would have been in their paychecks if the government hadn't seized it.

On to what I do have a problem with. I have an ex wife that we the taxpayers have bought THREE knee joint replacements for. She's so big she broke one. And she rides a scooter to boot. We, the taxpayers,are paying her rent and all her expenses. I agree with Pinetar, tell her and everybody like her to get her body in order or go die.

I have a problem with Georgia using debit cards for food stamps so others won't know they're getting assistance. There should be a separate foodstamp checkout lane so everybody knows. There used to be certain amount of shame in accepting charity.

I have a problem with people using quotes from the bible to try to prove a point. There is so much conflicting text in different versions of the bible that you can prove any point you want by taking a few verses out of context.
Soda Guy
Friday, March 11, 2011 12:38:54 AM

John

One of the reasons that States went to the credit card system was to lower administative costs (this actually worked) and more money was actually getting to people. Also it helped cut down on the fraud, it didn't eliminate it, but it did reduce it.

As for shaming people that are on assistance, heck if people could learn just by shaming them, then folks in the amusement industry should only have to yell at help once and the same mistake would never happen again. What are the chances of that.

johnroach100
Friday, March 11, 2011 1:21:26 AM
Yes, the debit card system did lower costs. I agree with that part. I don't know about the fraud part, maybe it made it harder to hide is all.

I do remember reading in the paper about how it was to avoid the stigma of getting food stamps. I stand by my opinion of let the world know. It won't stop everybody, but there are still a few people in the world who want to earn their own way. And as as far as the shame part, what can it hurt? They're accepting charity, own up to it.

indianacarnie
Friday, March 11, 2011 9:41:37 AM
Pinetar: I agree with you about the obesity thing, up to a point anyway. No need to shoot them, just take away their pork chops[:)] .

Soda Guy: Spot on! To want to shame people seems very petty to me and does not work imho. If you shame all then you run the risk of shaming people who DO ACTUALLY need some help at the moment. The ones abusing the system HAVE no shame so to shame all would be penalizing the innocent to make yourself feel good.

johnroach100: Well at least you don't begrudge me my V.A. benefits. As for the biblical thing..... well, I did quote the King James version which seems to be the favorite edition for our more conservative friends. I feel that I should thank you for pointing out that you can use the bible to bolster any point you want. Not a very good way to base your life on , huh? BUT, if you do base your life on "the word of god" then you should at least try to keep its tenets imho. Nowhere btw have I found in that book a scripture saying "every man for himself". (I could be wrong about that..... havent re-read it in about 6 months)
Anyway the point I was trying to make with that quote was the dichotomy between professing to be a godly person and the reality of not caring for your fellow man.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
johnroach100
Friday, March 11, 2011 7:15:42 PM
I don't care about any of my fellow men who don't care for themselves. If they care about themselves they won't be on welfare for long in most cases.

If I decide to help somebody I want to do it directly, not at the point of the government gun.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, March 11, 2011 9:33:46 PM
The VA has rules that keep changing. If you have a military connected disability, the VA will pay for it and also give you traveling expenses.

Other wise you are given a "means test", your ability to pay your own way depending on your income. Under $32k and you ride for free. You can lie with no penalty when found out or you can do a reasonable co-pay, as I do.

I believe I saw that middle eastern vets with no injuries only get 2 years of free coverage. VA bennies are good when you really need them. But at age 62, medicare becomes your primary insurance and the va does not bill the US gub'ment. So you might have to do a co-pay to medicare. When your combined income jumps up, your medicare fee increases and you are penciled and docked more from your SS check.

UserPostedImage
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:47:21 PM
Originally Posted by: Skywheelrider 

http://www.investors.com/NewsAn...65496&obref=outbrain 

So, thirty five percent of Americans are getting some sort of money from the government. That's up from twenty one percent in 2000 and ten percent in 1960. That's 1/3 of the nation!

For all of you that think this is just fine, that 'spreading the wealth,' using the Robin Hood principle of taking from so-called 'rich' to give to those that don't have as much, or basically 'from each according to his ability to each according to his needs,' read the book Atlas Shrugged. I am about 2/3 of the way through it, and if this is what you want (like liberal progressives do), read the book, and what happens in the book, that's eventually the result you will get. Keep taking from the 'rich' and after awhile there will not be any 'rich' to take from, and no one will work according their ability, only enough to have their 'needs' taken care of by someone else.

You should earn what you get, and be able to keep what you earn.

Indiana, I know u r loaded, and ther are so many rich here on mcw. isn't it great that someone is speaking up for them.

The army only authorizes two sheets of toilet tissue a day. if the program was socialized, obesity would end. Arlo Guthrie said " eat more, sheeizit more".
The American people are unable to end obesity on their own or stop smoking. Most humans have some low iq's and need to have their hand held.

Big guberment needs to be Mother.

Most people are more concerned about feeding the poor, the hungry kids. I have never seen anyone campaign for keeping the rich, rich.

Skywwheeeeeeeerider, did you open your window and ventilate when you were painting your models? Your comments here are unbelievable.

People have respect for the likes of Mother Theresa, but you seem to hold bernie madoff in high esteem. His riches have vanished, can you start a raffle in his honor? Maybe start a still date with just every licensed and insured Skywheel on the planet to raise funds for the rich, after all, they are needy and greedy.

Can u imagine the thousands that would attend, standing around, drooling, taking pics with their walmart specials and larry cell phones. Fans don't necessary have much jingle in their jeans so u need to be creative with other fund raising elements. A G-top for sure with free sweetened ice tea.

Isn't it great to be a peasant?

UserPostedImage
Skywheelrider
Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:03:39 PM
Originally Posted by: Pinetar 

Skywwheeeeeeeerider, did you open your window and ventilate when you were painting your models? Your comments here are unbelievable.

People have respect for the likes of Mother Theresa, but you seem to hold bernie madoff in high esteem. His riches have vanished, can you start a raffle in his honor? Maybe start a still date with just every licensed and insured Skywheel on the planet to raise funds for the rich, after all, they are needy and greedy.

Can u imagine the thousands that would attend, standing around, drooling, taking pics with their walmart specials and larry cell phones. Fans don't necessary have much jingle in their jeans so u need to be creative with other fund raising elements. A G-top for sure with free sweetened ice tea.

Isn't it great to be a peasant?

Did you take your medicine today? Your comments here are incoherent and unbelievable. I know it's hard for a blunt instrument like you to comprehend any thought that goes against the views of the left, you, and your king BHO. You offer no solutions of your own to our nations problems, while criticizing others for their views, and simply say we should all keep quiet and fall in line like sheep being led to the slaughter....[wacko]