skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, March 8, 2011 4:17:14 PM
Are there as many parking lot carnivals as there used to be? My granddad remembers a small show that used to set up in Angier, NC years ago. He said that they had a Roll-o-Plane, Tilt-a-Whirl, and a few others at the time. That was back in the 70's i think is what he said. I myself will run across one every now and then, especially around Spring time. Also, wanted to know if anyone here knew of any carnivals that'll be setting up later this month or sometime April here in NC?..the southern part of NC such as Dunn, NC, Fayetteville, etc.. Thanks for the info.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:11:20 PM
Ben... Don't get me wrong buddy but WTF??? you've been on this site long enough to know the answers to your questions.
Rockowheel
Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:41:13 AM
On that note I'd be curious nowadays what the take is on the part of some of these retail chains e.g. Walmart, Kmart etc. regarding letting shows set up on their lots. Fortunately here in Chicago one may find many of the local shows setting up in various shopping center lots esp. for early "still" dates (a sure sign of spring).
skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:50:25 AM
Yeah, Scott, i know what you're saying. I guess you can say i can't wait 'til they get here finally & maybe even get to see J & J's Sky Diver or someone's Sky Diver at a local Fair. I'm pumped up and i know carnival season is nearing. Those Spring carnivals usually pop up around late March into mid-April. I wish summer time would hurry its rear end up and get here! LOL ...Tired of the up & down rollercoaster weather lately, especially the cold junk. God should've skipped winter and never made it. lol
Matt C.
Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:04:29 AM
Originally Posted by: RainbowBen 

Yeah, Scott, i know what you're saying. I guess you can say i can't wait 'til they get here finally & maybe even get to see J & J's Sky Diver or someone's Sky Diver at a local Fair. I'm pumped up and i know carnival season is nearing. Those Spring carnivals usually pop up around late March into mid-April. I wish summer time would hurry its rear end up and get here! LOL ...Tired of the up & down rollercoaster weather lately, especially the cold junk. God should've skipped winter and never made it. lol

Powers bought Fanelli's Sky Diver and will br refurbishing it and bringing it to the NC State Fair. They are putting a LED package on it. So you will see a diver there for sure.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
mikecroaro
Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:33:12 PM
Folks:

The high price of real estate in my area (San Francisco Bay area)(CA) has spelled[death] for the shopping center carnivals.

The last time there was one in my area was about 6 years ago and that was Funtastic Travelling Shows.

Out in the central valley and Sacramneto area you can still find a shoppiong center carnival once and a while.

I belive the LA area is still fairly well populated with shopping center and church carnivals.

Mike
ringmaster
BeauceCarnavalMan
Friday, March 11, 2011 2:52:18 PM
Still common up here in the spring before the fair season starts up and a bit in the fall after the fair season ends
BeauceCarnavalMan
Hippie Bill
Friday, March 11, 2011 3:30:44 PM
St Louis only gets a few, very few.

Probably for the best, its not a very good carnival town anyway.
"Hit the last two and finish it up for the large."
Skywheelrider
Friday, March 11, 2011 4:12:02 PM
There are still quite a few in Southeastern Michigan. We play at least one, Wade, Mid America, Skerbeck, Elliotts, we all play some shopping centers/parking lots.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
massachusettsman
Friday, March 11, 2011 4:14:09 PM
In New England Fiesta and Rockwell have 2 units out in the spring that play a bunch of parking lots. They use all there big rides at those spots as well.
Skywheelrider
Friday, March 11, 2011 4:23:24 PM
Originally Posted by: massachusettsman 

In New England Fiesta and Rockwell have 2 units out in the spring that play a bunch of parking lots. They use all there big rides at those spots as well.

I recall someone saying Rod Link was like that. When he set up in a shopping center, it wasn't just a few rides to layover for a few days....it was the complete midway, sometimes thirty or more pieces. It was said it didn't matter to him whether it was a county fair, festival, or shopping center, everyone got the same experience. I can believe that, as I saw it firsthand here when I was growing up. He used to play Wonderland Center in Livonia every Spring for the Jaycees, and it was close to thirty rides, once even had two Sky Wheel's side-by-side, once had a coaster, too. Always looked forward to seeing that spot.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
massachusettsman
Friday, March 11, 2011 6:46:48 PM
Wow we never get a coaster but rides like the falling star chance gondola wheel mack himalaya sea dragon etc. get set up almost weekly. I think there able to set them up because the jumps are so short.
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:15:12 AM
Michael's should be starting around Fayetteville, spring Lake area soon if not already. He does several spots and the Dogwood Festival. nice show. Smokey Mountain plays several spots around. Normally Deggeller plays Fort Bragg in the spring and a couple still spots. PGAM will be cranking up playing some spots in NC before heading north. They are not parking lot carnivals but carnivals that play lots, malls, festivals, fundraisers before moving into fairs dates. Just do not play Lumberton as still dates do not work here IMO.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, March 12, 2011 10:03:06 PM
PGAM has been in Wilmington, NC March 3-13. [from their facebook page]