WestCoastPat
  •  WestCoastPat
  • 59.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:44:27 PM
Now that the new browser has been released does anyone have any expierience with either it or the beta version that has been in test for a while?

I am still running Firefox, but I am not all that happy with it. There are a few sites that either load way slow or not at all. It seemed like a big improvement over IE when I first DL and ran it but....

I hope what I have read in the reviews works out to be a good, basic, no frills, solid browser. I need some of you guys that know a lot more about this damn puter stuff then me to help. Please.
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
squirrel
Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:22:32 PM
Originally Posted by: WestCoastPat 

Now that the new browser has been released does anyone have any expierience with either it or the beta version that has been in test for a while?

I am still running Firefox, but I am not all that happy with it. There are a few sites that either load way slow or not at all. It seemed like a big improvement over IE when I first DL and ran it but....

I hope what I have read in the reviews works out to be a good, basic, no frills, solid browser. I need some of you guys that know a lot more about this damn puter stuff then me to help. Please.

That's odd that you're having site issues with FF -- usually it's the other way around for me. Generally IE is the troublemaker, as it doesn't conform to W3 standards and therefore usually renders pages how it sees fit instead of how they're supposed to look. Sometimes Add-Ons can cause issues with FF, and it also gets updated more than you're notified about it. Sometimes, when I have an issue with it, I go to the Help menu and check if there's an update -- it seems to help sometimes --
Bowler Roller
Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:07:52 PM
There is a new Chrome? I've been using this one for over a year. My only problem with it is I can't use my flash or adblockers.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
indianacarnie
Friday, January 14, 2011 5:02:03 PM
I think hes talking about "chromeplus". Just regular chrome with some standard add ons.
I just yesterday reinstalled chrome. Its ok i guess but to me nothing even comes close to Opera.

http://www.chromeplus.org 

if you want a lightweight browser either of these are good also:

http://download.cnet.com...000-2356_4-10101563.html 

http://www.howtogeek.com...ersion-of-google-chrome/ 

and the best for last.......

http://download.cnet.com...000-2356_4-10005498.html 
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
WestCoastPat
  •  WestCoastPat
  • 59.02% (Neutral)
Friday, January 14, 2011 7:10:34 PM
Mayhaps I will give Opera 11 a try. Does anyone else besides me remember when our choices were IE or Netscape? LOL
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, January 14, 2011 8:16:06 PM
Remember Compuserve, $1 an hour.That was starting in 91.
UserPostedImage
squirrel
Friday, January 14, 2011 8:43:34 PM
Originally Posted by: Pinetar 

Remember Compuserve, $1 an hour.

The days of the original AOHell...

I got one better... Before there was internet, we used to use BBSes with a client like Telix running at a whopping 2400bps (if you had a USR-HST you were 3l33t running 9600 or 14.4k)... I was the first board in my area to run 28.8 off of my DX2/66 Acer - ran Telegard v2.99 (last official release) - 2 nodes were up, doors/files/FIDO boards and more -- man those were the days -- I still have that system somewhere. Had a total of 750mb online spread across 4 machines linked together for the HDD stuff, and a 6disc Pioneer SCSI CD Changer for the ROM downloads -- you had to put in your file-request and wait in the queue until the system could change discs and get your file ready... If I had to power down the system(s) for maintenance, when I fired them back up I had to do it in 'steps' or it would trip the breaker in the computer room...
WestCoastPat
  •  WestCoastPat
  • 59.02% (Neutral)
Friday, January 14, 2011 8:43:53 PM
I forgot that one. And it was one of the first I used that was not just conversation boards but actually the web. I think?

Of course everyone in the whole world had an AOL account at one time. Paid them some decent $$$. Now I am still roped in to using them for email because I am too lazy to try to figure out how to use anything else while keeping my email address I have had for lots of years. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get away from AOL but keep the email address?
squirrel
Friday, January 14, 2011 8:45:53 PM

I forgot that one. And it was one of the first I used that was not just conversation boards but actually the web. I think?

Of course everyone in the whole world had an AOL account at one time. Paid them some decent $$$. Now I am still roped in to using them for email because I am too lazy to try to figure out how to use anything else while keeping my email address I have had for lots of years. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get away from AOL but keep the email address?

AOL emails are free now - there is a way to transfer your email to their free system... Personally I won't use AOHell for anything... If needed, I got a gmail.com address but otherwise I use my domain stuff for that...
WestCoastPat
  •  WestCoastPat
  • 59.02% (Neutral)
Friday, January 14, 2011 9:06:12 PM
Yea-it is free now and has been for quite a while. What I would like to do is keep my email (PMolin5143@aol) but have it saved somewhere other then wherever AOL is now. I think using Outlook or some such thing would be better, if for no other reason then everyone thinks anyone using AOL nowdays is kind of a geek-or worse. I just have the name on everything for so long I don't know how to go about getting a different mail client or server or service or what ever it might be called.
squirrel
Friday, January 14, 2011 9:39:21 PM

Yea-it is free now and has been for quite a while. What I would like to do is keep my email (PMolin5143@aol) but have it saved somewhere other then wherever AOL is now. I think using Outlook or some such thing would be better, if for no other reason then everyone thinks anyone using AOL nowdays is kind of a geek-or worse. I just have the name on everything for so long I don't know how to go about getting a different mail client or server or service or what ever it might be called.

You have a couple options. I could give you an email address, or you could signup at gmail.com (GoogleMail), or others. AOL may support forwarding all your emails to the new account (not sure about this one) but other than outright switching email providers and 'abandoning' your old account (or using it to alert friends and websites of the new account) there's no real way to get away from it. You can access your AOL account via web without having the 'proprietary AOL software' installed, also... Not sure if they support POP3/SMTP access (Outlook) or not, though.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, January 14, 2011 9:59:36 PM
When did they get away from BBS. My modem runs at 1200 on dail up just fine. I'm having trouble finding BBs though.

On a serious note I am getting sick IE haning up all the time. Others seems to be having the same problem. I doubt if its all me.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
squirrel
Saturday, January 15, 2011 8:45:13 AM
Originally Posted by: flamo 

When did they get away from BBS. My modem runs at 1200 on dail up just fine. I'm having trouble finding BBs though.

On a serious note I am getting sick IE haning up all the time. Others seems to be having the same problem. I doubt if its all me.

BBSes started dying in the late 90's -- between around 95 and 98ish -- there's still some out there but they're getting RARE - When the user activity started going downhill because of the internet becoming more publicly available, sysOps couldn't justify the cost of keeping systems online if nobody called...