johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Friday, December 17, 2010 4:30:19 PM
Since the computer thread got hijacked into a tax discussion I thought I would start a tax thread and see where it goes. Nothing stays on topic around here.

Anyway, What should the government's role be in our lives? National defense and the courts are a given.
Skywheelrider
Friday, December 17, 2010 8:05:06 PM
Obviously we have to pay for the services we receive from the government--local/county/state/federal. We have to pay for public schools for kids to attend. We have to have military (national defense) and police and fire protection, have to fund the courts, we pay for nice parks to enjoy, clean and kept up streets/highways, and pay the salaries of the folks that are supposed to represent us in government. So based on all of that, yes we have to pay taxes to get the revenue needed to pay for the above. However, what is not fair is that the wealthiest Americans pay the biggest percentage of the income tax, and there are those (38-40%) that don't pay any income tax at all.

Sure we all pay for social security and medicare, property taxes if you own property, but as for income tax (the biggest revenue generator), it's not right when almost half of the earning public partakes of these services, but does not pay any income tax to support them. We need a fair or flat tax, 20-25% max, no deductions, no loopholes, that's it, whatever you earn, that's what you pay, period. And if the government cannot run on that, shame on them.

Good column by Mitch Albom in last Sunday's Detroit Free Press on taxes....not everyone that folks call "rich" are really "rich."

http://www.freep.com/art...ate-is-missing-the-point 

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, December 17, 2010 8:58:08 PM
Do u realize that with a larger tax break I could get a really good computer.
Let me tell u about this 4 figure beast.[:D][:D][:D]

Fixed spelling errors.
UserPostedImage
mcarnyforlife
Friday, December 17, 2010 9:04:44 PM
Quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

Do u realize that with a larger tax brake, I could get a rally good computer. [:D][:D][:D]

funny [;)][;)][^]

violence is the last refuge of the incompetent....AYN RAND
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, December 18, 2010 4:03:27 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by johnroach100

Since the computer thread got hijacked into a tax discussion I thought I would start a tax thread and see where it goes. Nothing stays on topic around here.

Anyway, What should the government's role be in our lives? National defense and the courts are a given.

did you see that ball game last night; man there on fire........
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:33:57 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by crny1234

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by johnroach100

did you see that ball game last night; man there on fire........

Where was the fire, I never heard about it, was there a Chance turbo involved?
UserPostedImage
indianacarnie
Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:51:44 AM
yes as a matter of fact my opera browser DOES have a turbo mode.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche