Hippie Bill
Friday, December 10, 2010 11:27:34 AM
Since it is the time for giving, I would like to open a thread about those who have given so much to us.

Who was your best mark? Could be for any reason, spent a lot, nice to you, loved the game, or food, or ride, said something funny, kept coming back, whatever reason.

List the ones that stood out and you remember. We all have more than one, so post a few if you have time.

Here's a start.

Texas state Fair in Dallas. I was working a star dart for red dog beer plush. This nicely dressed man, with a cowboy hat and all that, and his wife come up to the joint carrying two big bags full of stock. The man says to me "excuse me sir, what do I have to do to win the biggest prize here?" I explain, one win gets this, two wins gets this, etc, and 5 wins gets your choice. "How much?" I told him $2 for one and three for $5. He puts down a $20 and says "give me 6 and my wife 6." They throw them, go for another $20, and I'm keeping track of the wins. The whole time they are calling me sir, are very polite and patient, just extra nice to me. They're in for around $120 or so at 4 wins, and never bat an eye or slow down a bit. They keep having a good old time when at $140 they get the fifth win. Hey there goes one! etc. He asks, "If you don't mind, can I have one of those big bags for the prize?" I help him put the stock into the bag, and of course I'm happy because of the nice score and how good they were to me. As they were about to leave the man turns to me, reaches into his pocket, and pulls out a $20. He says, "That's not for the office, that's for you. Put in your pocket." He shook my hand, said thank you very much to me, the wife said thanks, and off they went.

I came to find out later that they did that to all the games, and were just really nice folks that had a great time at the fair.

I know that this is not the most extreme story, but it sticks in my mind. I've had some pretty nice marks in my day, but when I was thinking of this thread I knew I had to mention them. They treated me like a perfect gentleman the entire time, spent good money, and had a good time at the game. I just really appreciate the whole thing.

So lets hear what you got, I know there are some good stories out there.
"Hit the last two and finish it up for the large."
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, December 10, 2010 1:54:59 PM
Good story Bill, a tear came to my eye.
UserPostedImage
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, December 10, 2010 2:33:46 PM
my best mark, sat down family of six and droped 147.50 on a meal at one of my food joints and on the retail side, we've had hundreds of dollers dropped on junk....
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
indianacarnie
Friday, December 10, 2010 3:16:28 PM
my best mark was a drunk marine who had just got a reenlistment bonus.. working an abc. him and his two friends dropped a little over 6 grand.

my all time favorite mark is the nicest little old lady you ever met,comes to see me every year at scottsburg, just talk's , duke's em in for me and brings me a homemade meal.(she's 80 if she's a day)

i also have one little girl in mt.zion,ill. who has came every year for the last 6 years wanting to work because she want's to be a carny when she grows up. guess she's about 11/12 now and i may let her be my balloon girl this coming year.

had one just like you hippie bill at west palm one year, working a frog bog of all things. nice couple, must have spend at least a couple of yards, dub at a time. just having fun, won one of every frog in the joint, tiped me a dub and said thank's. (in the rain on a friday.... no telling how much they brought me for keeping a tip going)
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
bdgaf
Friday, December 10, 2010 3:51:27 PM
it is not how good the marks are to us but most importly how good we are to them.
this what we do.
bdgaf
Friday, December 10, 2010 4:09:54 PM
but my best mark was in philadelhpie pa .a couple a years ago no details but i will say the gentelman gave my insurance down strock with some change left over he walked way happy with a nice prize the fact that he showed up at the right time is what really made my best customer
this what we do.
DickHefner
Friday, December 10, 2010 4:10:33 PM
the guy who lost $710 in tens and twenties, and tipped me five bucks for helping him find it all. a man always showed up in spots around Joplin, on our way home at end of season one year we ran out of gas on the side of the road, the mark from earlier pulls over behind us with a gas can! after hours midway sweep turned up a drunk on the squadron deck, who we ended up partying on his sailboat later that night. andall the boredlittle kids with no freindsin smalltowns who are absolutl FASCINATED aboutsetup
In memory of Kenny Maple Jr 1973-2010
john777
  •  john777
  • 67.28% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Friday, December 10, 2010 4:12:29 PM
i even had a guy go for double in my duckpond
we were working for a buck and a double pull up[;)]
what a mark
i could have borrowed his money[;)]
with it and all for it
john 777

UserPostedImage
Hippie Bill
Friday, December 10, 2010 5:23:56 PM
I was playing Fayetville NC at the stadium. Right when we opened the sheriff came to inspect the games. I was in a long range basketball, he asked me how it worked, and told me to throw one in to show him it was legit. I told him that it may take me a few throws, and he said no problem, he just wants to see it go in the hoop. Luckily it only took me 10 or 11 throws to make one. He passed us and went on his way. A couple of days later he came back by to win a prize. He gave me a $5 for the $1 size win, and told me to hold it. He spent that and was working on another fin when he hit. All smiles, he left. Well sure enough he came back later in the fair and got another number 8 size piece for under $15. He ended up beating me out of 4 pieces, all for under $20. Well on the last Saturday he wanted to go for the $5 shot for the spoofer. Hands me a $20, tells me to hold onto it, and starts shooting. He couldn't make the shot for his life. At about $120 he gets frustrated and was about to walk. I tell him not to let the money get him down, its the same shot he has been making all week. So he starts in again, and finally hits at around $180. When I handed him the prize of course I said "look, you should have done that on the first throw." He laughed and said "Yeah, it would have saved me a lot of money", shook my hand, and left.

Nothing to wild about the whole thing except that he was the sheriff in charge of the fair. The guy who could shut us down and throw me in jail if he wanted. He was just a true believer, played the game like a gentleman, took the good with the bad and never complained.

I guess we all have had committee members who had their own ideas of how the games should work. Then there was this guy who came in and played it for what it was worth, understood what it was, and just accepted the play when it didn't go his way.

Its just another one who I remember as being a good mark.

I have an excellent story about two strippers I'll post later.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, December 10, 2010 6:23:10 PM
Best marks....Kids that are orphaned or have physical disabilities. That free ride you give them puts a smile on their face and a good feeling in your heart, something money can't buy. I was with shows that opened early to accomodate kids like this, the one early call I enjoyed. Every year in Strongsville Al Sunny would have an early call and we got a bunch of kids from a camp for handicapped kids. He did his part arranging it so I had no problem doing my part. After the kids left I appreciated more of what I had been blessed with and had a good feeling inside knowing I had helped make a kids day. I never took a ticket from any serviceman in uniform or who he had with him. I felt I owed him that for his service. The handicapped kids and GIs are the best marks.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
indianacarnie
Saturday, December 11, 2010 2:27:51 AM
good point flamo. when a active duty uniform walks up, i always tell him/her(these days) EXACTLY how much it will take to win the "big one". most walk after hearing that of course (i do keep a 10% or less stock average in the balloon store) but the ones who play anyway...... i cut it in half. my boss lets me do anything i want in there so its never any beef with her. and i've talked to several who were in the landstuhl
hospital and 1,believe it or not, who had the same micro-surgeon that i had! that was cool.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
Hippie Bill
Saturday, December 11, 2010 2:05:42 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by flamo

Best marks....Kids that are orphaned or have physical disabilities. That free ride you give them puts a smile on their face and a good feeling in your heart, something money can't buy. I was with shows that opened early to accomodate kids like this, the one early call I enjoyed. Every year in Strongsville Al Sunny would have an early call and we got a bunch of kids from a camp for handicapped kids. He did his part arranging it so I had no problem doing my part. After the kids left I appreciated more of what I had been blessed with and had a good feeling inside knowing I had helped make a kids day. I never took a ticket from any serviceman in uniform or who he had with him. I felt I owed him that for his service. The handicapped kids and GIs are the best marks.

That is cool Flamo.

bobo5038
Sunday, December 12, 2010 12:53:06 AM
I had a fishy fish joint up in Belmont Race Park, New York. This woman brings her son up to catch fish. The boy just wanted to fish and wanted no prize. The midway wasn't busy so I told my clerk to let him fish. After about an hour he had enough, the woman handed me a $20 and gave my clerk a $10, thanked us and walked a way.
Bowler Roller
Sunday, December 12, 2010 8:17:07 AM
I used to find old couples who loved the Derby. They'd come most every night, pick out their seats, and stay there all night. They'd buy games for themselves, their friends, strangers, wide eyed kids...etc.

They might only spend $100 in a night, but the tips they caused by sticking, easily turned $200 nights into $1,000 nights.

They'd often stock up on the smaller stock, telling me they were Christmas shopping.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, December 12, 2010 11:59:48 AM
Two jars of Moonshine and a dub to give there friend "The Special".
I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!