squirrel
Sunday, November 14, 2010 3:55:56 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by IndianaTED

Looking forward to the upgrade...a progress report?

I'm working out a couple of specific tweaks with the new software - once we get that resolved, we'll go ahead and post an update and get the upgrade rolling. Currently, they're hashing out some minor issues with the mobile device support and some other minor enhancements. They are right in the middle of a version upgrade on their end, and I'd like to get the latest version they are going to release when we do this -- it has a couple of features that will be really useful here --
mtnvly
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:42:36 AM
squirrel
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:57:20 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by mtnvly

I thought you retired

I deal with server and application issues -- I don't moderate or babysit posts anymore...

And also retired from the biz...
DanTheBooker
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 6:54:48 AM
squirrel
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:50:59 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by DanTheBooker

Any update, Squirrel?

We should be going live this weekend -- they just released a new version -- I'm just watching for any kinks from other users. The mobile interface has been tested and users are reporting it works for them so once we get a couple things straight, we'll run the upgrade --
DanTheBooker
Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:05:08 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by secret.squirrel

Quote:

quote:

Any update, Squirrel?

We should be going live this weekend -- they just released a new version -- I'm just watching for any kinks from other users. The mobile interface has been tested and users are reporting it works for them so once we get a couple things straight, we'll run the upgrade --

Thank you!
squirrel
Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:05:51 PM
If all goes well on a final migration test on my development server, I will be pushing the forum upgrade tomorrow afternoon. If all goes right, we will be back online tomorrow evening --

At this point we hope to be making the big move sometime tomorrow afternoon (Sunday, November 28, 2010) - if you attempt to reach the forums you may receive a 'maintenance' or 'unavailable' note for several hours. If we have any problems moving the live system, we will restore the original forums until we iron out what went wrong.

massachusettsman
Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:09:28 PM
Not to be a pest but was there a problem with the update or are you just holding off until a later time because you said it was going to be done this afternoon.
squirrel
Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:14:58 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by massachusettsman

Not to be a pest but was there a problem with the update or are you just holding off until a later time because you said it was going to be done this afternoon.

I was just about to sign in and update everyone --

For some reason (still investigating) I ran into a quirk in dealing with the import of the database -- I believe it has to do with deleted users and their 'orphaned' topics. Since I don't want to lose any posts, I'm working on a patch that will basically create a 'deleted' user and re-match the posts to that account so they are not lost. When I ran the counts, the software was going to delete some 1000+ topics and around 2500+ replies that were orphaned... So I'm basically trying to sort that out. My original tests of the importing only showed about 100 topics would be orphaned - but when combining the old archives into the database that brought quite a few more orphans which I don't want to lose --

Sorry for the lack of response here -- I meant to post this earlier but got sidetracked [B)]
massachusettsman
DanTheBooker
Sunday, December 5, 2010 6:59:43 AM
IndianaTED
Friday, December 10, 2010 6:16:38 PM
Quote:

quote:

What's the latest?

All I hear are the crickets chirping.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
squirrel
Saturday, December 11, 2010 2:37:34 PM
I've just downloaded a copy of the current database and after dinner, I'm going to run a final test import - been working on the stuff all week - if the import runs, then I'll run it on the live system tonight or tomorrow morning 🙂
squirrel
Sunday, December 12, 2010 3:37:04 PM
I finally have a successful migration working for the new software. It's sitting on my development server and I've run the migration several times (it takes about 6 hours to move all the data from the current software over to the new one) - approximately 180,000+ posts are now accounted for. I will be running the live upgrade either sometime this week or next weekend at the latest. Now that we have a functional migration, this should be moving forward.

Below are some screenshots of the new software with the data imported (and the images are links to full size images so you can see better since the forum resizes things):

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage 

UserPostedImage