boltz
  •  boltz
  • 52.24% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:14:50 AM
MARIETTA, Okla. (Nov. 13) -- An accident involving a barrel ride at an Oklahoma fairgrounds has killed an 8-year-old girl and left four other children seriously injured.

Love County Undersheriff Jason Bone tells television station KWTV that an all-terrain vehicle at the Love County Fairgrounds was pulling 55-gallon barrels that had been hollowed out so children could sit in them. He says the ATV was pulling seven barrels when the barrels overturned about 5:45 p.m. Friday.

Bone says the girl was pronounced dead at a Marietta hospital. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol identified her as Jaylen Wolf of Marietta.

Four other children ranging from ages 3 to 8 were hospitalized.

The ATV's driver was not injured. The Love County Sheriff's Office and the OHP are investigating the accident

Another accident that will be blamed on our business.
Stop complaining...Nobody cares anyway!!
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, November 14, 2010 3:05:03 AM
I have seen several of those homemade "barrel trains" in the past few years. While they are cute, I figured it was a matter of time till someone got seriously hurt. Most are around farms and look off-balance to start with. The stories need to be clear that this is a home-made ride not anything to do with a professional carnival. No NAARSO or AIMS organization would ever approve anything of this nature.
Majestic Fan1982
Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:54:39 AM
They have one here in Pa at a Community day. This story was in my local paper today. The headline stated Child killed on ride at Okla. fair grounds.

But once you read the article you can tell it was not anything to do with a carnival being there. The article was fine just needed some work on the headline of the story.
42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:41:13 AM
How do these "homemade" rides get licenced to operate?
I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:44:54 AM
And the lawyers will line up.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
geewizz66
Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:00:49 AM
That's the problem with these type of "rides" they don't fall under any type of state or federal guidelines. I have seen a lot of these things too. It drives me nuts and most festival organizers tell me "they are so much safer than a mechanical ride". No fences, no control, nothing. I have seen these units actually run over people before and still they are not regulated.

But I bet your sweet a** that it will show up on Rideaccidents.com and other so called "amusement watchdog" type blogs, news reals, etc.

Geewizz66
Benjibear
Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:06:06 AM
These type of rides are mot much different than hayrides. How many farms, haunted house groups, etc. run hayrides in the fall? I bet some take a few safety precautions but others don't. Same thing with the corn mazes. Many of this stuff falls below the radar and until there are some significant problems nobody will ever do anything.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
42WLA
  •  42WLA
  • 55.22% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:55:06 AM
This type of activity is clearly an "Amusement ride" . Anything mechanical that persons ride would certainly be considered an Amusement ride.

I'm sure once the multi million dollar lawsuits are filed the definition will be clarified. Either way I wouldn't want to be the guy that built that lill' choo-choo right about now.

I have done so much,with so little,for so long,I am now qualified to do anything with nothing!
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:42:50 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Majestic Fan1982

They have one here in Pa at a Community day. This story was in my local paper today. The headline stated Child killed on ride at Okla. fair grounds.

But once you read the article you can tell it was not anything to do with a carnival being there. The article was fine just needed some work on the headline of the story.

What do you want the headline to say? Fairgrounds does'nt always mean Carnival!
geewizz66
Sunday, November 14, 2010 2:38:19 PM
Multi-million law suit??!!?? Probably not because these people were not actually "carnies" but rather good ole boys suppling some fun for kids. If this had happened on an actual "ride" it would have been all over the news media.................
Geewizz66
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:00:33 PM
those barrels rides are made to be pulled slow by a garden tractor. Wonder how fast that ATV was going.
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, November 15, 2010 11:24:47 AM
Trackless Trains are not considered to be "Rides" in Ohio since they do not follow a set path. If I get back in the ride biz I'd think about buying or building one.
geewizz66
Monday, November 15, 2010 12:17:50 PM
Posted - 11/15/2010 : 4:24:47 PM

Trackless Trains are not considered to be "Rides" in Ohio since they do not follow a set path. If I get back in the ride biz I'd think about buying or building one.

They always seem to win money, you just need an "adult" operating it. I agree, a lawn mower wouldn't be able to pull those things as fast as an ATV would.
Geewizz66
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, November 15, 2010 1:08:32 PM
One factor is the most important. Does it have braking capability.
UserPostedImage