squirrel
Wednesday, November 3, 2010 6:47:32 PM
Be on the lookout --

I will be upgrading the MCW Forums to a new platform over the weekend. A definite downtime will be announced the moment I have finished testing of the import of the old forum data we are currently using and be posted here in this thread.

The upgrade and re-opening of the forums should take no more than 6 hours to complete - including final testing before re-opening to the public. Should we experience any issues with the live migration, we will restore the current forums and come back online while we diagnose what went wrong.

There will be a definite layout change but they will still resemble forums most of you are used to using. KEEP THE FOLLOWING IN MIND:
  • Usernames and passwords will be transferred over - your old logins will still work, but you will have to re-login to the forums if you are a user who 'stays logged in' from visit to visit.
  • Make sure you have an up-to-date email address registered on your profile - DO THIS NOW - incase you have forgotten your password, you can request a link to get it reset from the old system before we transfer over. Once the changeover is complete, we will have to reset the password for you if you have forgotten it.
  • While this is new software, it has been extensively tested in is being used on thousands of websites throughout the world - the software choice was not taken lightly. But this means that you will notice some differences in how things work - don't be afraid to ask if you are having problems in the Support Forum so we can point you in the right direction

Below are some features we are adding (plus more not listed here):
  • RSS Feeds
  • User Selectable Themes
  • Custom Avatars
  • Image Uploads direct to the forums (not complete galleries though)
  • Enhanced Private Messages
  • Mobile Device Support (to be enhanced as software upgrades progress)
  • Better performance and more up to date appearance
  • Notifications of new posts in a thread
  • Forum Subscriptions
  • Last but not least: the return of the archives - over 140,000 posts dating from back to 2003 will all be restored with this upgrade

Again, be sure to check your email address and password to make sure they are up to date and ready to go during your next login. Make sure you can login successfully now, so that when the new upgrade comes online you will be able to get right in and start posting!

I have been working on the database migration (importing to the new system and testing) for the last two weeks and things are just about ready to roll. It will be announced in this thread when we have a for-sure date and time frame when we will be pushing the migration so stay tuned.
BIG L
Wednesday, November 3, 2010 9:26:44 PM
So we are all going to be apart of beta testing....sweet
Looking for strong route to book a
1 man ticket box. 😛
squirrel
Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:20:03 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BIG L

So we are all going to be apart of beta testing....sweet

Actually most of the testing has already been done -- you may find a quirk here or there but it's doubtful -- we're using an official release of the product rather than running the latest 'beta' that's currently available. The software is pretty rapid on their development cycle, releasing a new production version almost once a year to keep up with 'technology demands' so to speak.

The software we are currently using has only seen 'minor' version upgrades over the last 8 years we've been running it -- and there are a couple key features members are asking about that we want to support. Looking at the status of their next version it's basically not known if there will be another version or not at this point so we're making the switch 🙂
JustJeff
Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:07:55 AM
Looking forward to the "lost archives" LOL---That will keep me busy as I know a lot of topics were on there with people that I knew ..

Thanks for all the hard work SS and others ....jeff
2ndgencarnie
Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:37:35 AM
Will there be a manual available for proper training for dummies like myself?...
squirrel
Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:44:26 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 2ndgencarnie

Will there be a manual available for proper training for dummies like myself?...

It's pretty much like the system we have now - just some 'visual' differences - I'm sure we'll figure it out [8D]
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Thursday, November 4, 2010 8:31:53 AM
yeah mobile version!!!
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
squirrel
Thursday, November 4, 2010 8:39:04 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan

yeah mobile version!!!

It's definitely in the works -- the initial trials for mobile support will require some tweaking before they are ready but support for mobile devices is part of why we're making this upgrade --
Hoctor
Friday, November 5, 2010 7:22:56 AM
Sounds good. Glad I stumbled in on the cusp of the new technology [:)]
DUDE !! Don't talk to MY marks.
squirrel
Friday, November 5, 2010 7:40:32 AM
As an update -- I am working on some final touches of the archives restoration. Currently we are missing about a month's worth of topics from around late 2005 - and there is what looks like 'light' presence for 2006 -- not near as many topics are present as I would expect. But things are still moving forward.

I am also working on some cosmetic issues on the new software. Because of the language it is in, this is a little more time-consuming for me than the software we use now. I am still shooting for upgrading things before the weekend is out --

More to come when I have a running final copy, one more migration test, and we'll set a date/time.
mcarnyforlife
Sunday, November 7, 2010 4:01:46 PM
Direct image uploads, cool.
violence is the last refuge of the incompetent....AYN RAND
paulmbe
  •  paulmbe
  • 55.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, November 7, 2010 4:46:41 PM
Can we get pictures, a bub count and discounts???
"Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Holy *, what a ride!"
mcarnyforlife
Monday, November 8, 2010 10:19:41 AM
can we upload photos yet?
violence is the last refuge of the incompetent....AYN RAND
squirrel
Monday, November 8, 2010 10:30:40 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by mcarnyforlife

can we upload photos yet?

I'm hung up on a couple issues with the new software -- nothing serious - mostly relating to the themes and mobile user support -- we should be running the upgrade soon, but haven't started yet due to these couple setbacks.

FWIW: converting all the members and posts will not be a problem - we're just ironing out a couple layout and functionality bugs --
IndianaTED
Saturday, November 13, 2010 6:55:43 PM
Looking forward to the upgrade...a progress report?
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.