Rockowheel
  •  Rockowheel
  • 57.34% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, August 23, 2010 3:01:18 PM
I'm almost afraid to ask, but what did NAME bring to Springfield for this years fair? I can remember the "good ol days" when the midway was in the Happy Hollow area. Beautiful location but I'm sure a totally logistical nightmare.
cme
  •  cme
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, August 23, 2010 3:06:14 PM
the question I have is how many bulbs that were out
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, August 23, 2010 3:15:50 PM
More importantly, how many water race and balloon stores are there this year , versus 2000 and 2005.
UserPostedImage
Skywheel1969
Monday, August 23, 2010 4:37:02 PM
Same stuff as last year, the year before, the year before that, etc......

I'm sure NAME has some beautiful equipment, but it's not making it's way to Springfield. Considering Illinois politics, I blame the fair organizers.
Pizzagod
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:37:54 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheel1969

Same stuff as last year, the year before, the year before that, etc......

I'm sure NAME has some beautiful equipment, but it's not making it's way to Springfield. Considering Illinois politics, I blame the fair organizers.

It's a small midway area for a state fair-pretty amazing given the space that is on the grounds. There is an awful lot devoted to livestock (as there should be at a State Fair) but the area that the rides get doesn't lend itself to more and more pieces.

Astro has some terrific looking pieces, the Freak Out is one of the nicest ones I've seen and the giant wheel went all LED last year.

As far as other pieces go, Illinois State Fair takes place at the height of the season, Kentucky, Indianapolis, and Crown Point, Genesee County, etc. Both Astro Units come in to Illinois, and there are a few rides from another show.

I just don't see the midway adding much until there is more space available and less demands from the fair board.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Flying Coaster
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:15:56 AM
I'll never understand why they moved it out of Happy Holler. Granted, it wasn't level and it was off the beaten path, and it was hot down there but that midway rocked. Now it seems as though the midway is an afterthought, it deserves much more space. Tinsley usually books a few pieces in there.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Rockowheel
  •  Rockowheel
  • 57.34% (Neutral)
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:17:13 AM
I took a pass on Springfield (once more) and went out to Iowa. Gotta say Belle City looked incredibly awesome both day and night. It was interesting how the Sky Wheel with its all-white flourescents dominated the midway, even blowing away the nearby Giant Wheel. It was great to see such a long line to get on the Sky Wheel, as well as the nearby vintage Old Mill which is one of the last rides of its type on a fairgrounds.
cme
  •  cme
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:30:40 AM
I heard there was that many joints in Iowa this year compare to ther years
Randy D.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:46:45 AM
I rode by the fairgrounds this year while in Springfield. Looked the same as past years. Tinsley had equipment in the front with the rides that are in adventure village. PBJ Happee day shows had some pieces booked in that could be seen from the road. The wave swinger and looked like their Nemesis 360 were both booked in. NAME always looks great but Illinois just doesnt get their bigger pieces. The weather was a big issue this year being very hot and a few grandstand shows getting rained out. However, when I drove by on Friday afternoon looked like a good crowd with alot of the rides turning. Fair officials are stating the fair attendance was up by 5% this year for 704,000 estimated attendance.

As far as Iowa, the Skywheel has always done well in Des Moines. I can remember double bucking most nights during the fair. Must be a tradition or something in Iowa to ride the Skywheel. It beats out alot of other pieces on the midway at that spot. Sadly, do not see that much anywhere anymore.
Flying Coaster
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:35:59 AM
Skywheel was always busy in Springfield too, double bucking tubs all day it seemed, it was right at the entrance to Happy Hollow. it's been about 18 years since one has been there. It's always the first comment about the midway I hear, too bad there's no Skywheel anymore.
http://good-times.websho...097476090072806917cuWFjB 

Rockowheel
  •  Rockowheel
  • 57.34% (Neutral)
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:32:32 AM
It never ceased to amaze me that one could literally walk under the blocking of the Skywheel when it was placed at the entrance to Happy Hollow. I was fortunate enough to go there in the 60's when the great Olson Shows was quite a powerhouse midway down in the 'hole'--when looking down from above at night it was almost other worldly. And add to that Royal American playing the Milwaukee fair around the same time.
Happy days for sure.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Coaster

Skywheel was always busy in Springfield too, double bucking tubs all day it seemed, it was right at the entrance to Happy Hollow. it's been about 18 years since one has been there. It's always the first comment about the midway I hear, too bad there's no Skywheel anymore.

Flying Coaster
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:49:30 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Rockowheel

It never ceased to amaze me that one could literally walk under the blocking of the Skywheel when it was placed at the entrance to Happy Hollow. I was fortunate enough to go there in the 60's when the great Olson Shows was quite a powerhouse midway down in the 'hole'--when looking down from above at night it was almost other worldly. And add to that Royal American playing the Milwaukee fair around the same time.
Happy days for sure.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Coaster

Yep, I'm 6'4" and just needed to bow my head a little and I could walk under that trailer on the near side in the picture. That setup took about 7 hours just to position & level the trailers and gauge the towers. We still had to dig out a 3" deep chunk of the asphalt on one corner of the platform and block the other corner. Sucked.