rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:27:45 AM
I`m talking about the overall State Fair. Concerts, exhibits, ride selection, and overall atmosphere. Although some would say I`m being a knocker I`m not. Just truthful.
The only ones who would know for sure are you who travel the circuit and see the different fairs. Hopefully some changes could be made before this one is put on the endangered list.
RodB
Fabbri_Guy
Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:23:41 AM
i wouldnt doubt it bro. all of our events are cancled or relocated out of county etc. the fairs outcome is only as good as the planning and dedication that goes into it. im waiting for wade to pull in independence.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:36:52 AM
I've never understood why they put it in Sedalia

rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
Saturday, August 21, 2010 8:35:25 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I've never understood why they put it in Sedalia

What does Sedalia have to do with how good it is? North Dakota - Minot, Kansas-Hutchinson. Two states with less population whose fairs fare better. We are talking about a great fair that is not so great anymore due to lack of insight and poor planning. 5.5 million in the state of Missouri.
Let`s see how Nebraskas turns out in Grand Island this year.
RodB
DanTheBooker
Saturday, August 21, 2010 9:26:29 AM
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:47:07 AM
I have been to a state fair that was carnival only, so be happy you have something!!!
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
Skywheel1969
Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:00:45 PM
The Illinois State Fair has been in a steady decline for several years now. I heard a news report last week that said between the Illinois State Fair and Duquoin State Fair, the two have lost several million dollars in the past couple of years. Lady Antebellum was rained out day one of the fair. Blondie and Cheap Trick were in the grandstand last night and Blondie was able to do her set before the weather cancelled the rest of the show. Exhibitors and concessions are way down too. Several people I work with who bought their kids mega passes said it was a waste because their kids got bored after about an hour, due to ride selection. I am not knocking NAME, but the midway this year (and the last few years) was nothing to write home about. Personally, I blame the state. After all, we have yet ANOTHER governor go to trial for thinking that he could do no wrong. Since they declared a mistrial the first time, I'm sure the 2nd trial will cost Illinois taxpayers a ton of money.
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
Saturday, August 21, 2010 12:32:27 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan

I have been to a state fair that was carnival only, so be happy you have something!!!

I am happy that we have something, but it is just headed in the wrong direction. Even some of my long time favorite concessions are not back. Jeez!
RodB
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:09:17 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by rodler

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan

I am happy that we have something, but it is just headed in the wrong direction. Even some of my long time favorite concessions are not back. Jeez!

Is it a sign of the times, could it just be the economy?
UserPostedImage
Fabbri_Guy
Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:04:39 PM
yes the economy! the planning is done by people who dont realize what kind of money fairs bring in. so they cut events carnivals etc in half. until nothings left. i remember EUS use to play the spririt fest but they took out the carnival and that was the downfall of the entire event. it doesnt even happen anymore. its sad really. all shows have to rely on now is state fairs. parking lots. or small town festivals....
Pizzagod
Saturday, August 21, 2010 8:19:57 PM
How bad can Sedalia be?

I used to work Nashville, Detroit, Birmingham, and Macon.

A crop of crappy State Fairs if ever there was one.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, August 22, 2010 7:05:53 PM
yes, the TN State Fair has gotten worse in the 12 years I've attended, just a downhill slide. (and I'm not talking about the hilly grounds which are not pleasant to walk up and down either).
It is in a bad neighborhood, has very little in the way of agricultural exhibits. Last year the main exhibit halls had almost no exhibits - they were nearly empty. It became less and less full each year. Whereas other fairs in the state grew- like WIlson County, Williamson County, the newer Delta Fair in Memphis suburbs.
They need to relocate it if they want it to survive and grow. Move it out to the far suburbs of Nashville, west maybe, far enough from the city to be safe, easy to get to, lots of parking etc.

It will be interesting to see how Nebraska does with their new fairgrounds far away from the old one. Virginia moved last year and I think it was a success. Other states with pitiful state fairs ought to learn something from VA and NE. It is move or die...
rodler
  •  rodler
  • 76.1% (Friendly)
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:11:35 AM
If they relocated it I bet there would be all kinds of new rides, exhibits, and attractions. Why not upgrade it where it is and make it a worthwhile trip.
RodB
alibiguyny
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:23:50 AM
well they pulled into a location wright across the street from mizzou they are fixing to have areal serious still date here in columbia missouri.
i dont smell em i just tell em......
Matt C.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:01:37 AM
I dont know too much about the fairgrounds, entertainment, or concessions, but how can you beat the ride line up? How many other fairs have:

1) Zkylon Coaster
2) White Water Flume
3) Reverchon Himalaya
4) Mondial Fighter
5) Enterprise
6) Mulligan Wheel
+ others

Thats a pretty good line up of multi trailer spectacular rides!
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com