mcarnyforlife
Monday, April 26, 2010 7:29:20 PM
The year is 1970. What show was at the top of their game back then? And why? (Would love to hear from you old jackpoptters out there)
violence is the last refuge of the incompetent....AYN RAND
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, April 26, 2010 8:26:43 PM
dell & travers had a pretty strong route... of course that's a bias opinion lol
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, April 26, 2010 8:31:11 PM
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:57:12 AM
I'm assuming you left off Royal American Shows because you already know that it was in a class by itself?

Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:36:14 AM
The best of anything polls are mainly moronic.
UserPostedImage
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:57:48 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

The best of anything polls are mainly moronic.

it could be a good way to start some interesting discussion..but what would i know, i'm just one of the moron's that voted.....
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:49:18 AM
The answer is all the above.

Or put in some adjectives that describe the "top of the game".

Are you asking for:
Best possum bellies?
Best trucks?
The first Skydiver= they are on top and no one can ever beat them?

The "best" topics always drives me crazy.

What is next? Who made the best sausage sandwich in 1970. You kids can play, I will leave you alone.
UserPostedImage
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:10:54 AM
Quote:

quote:

You kids can play, I will leave you alone.

get out of the sandbox then, take your marbles and go home if you don't want to play.... i'll add an lol just in case you can't take a joke.
Mark Twain
powersmidways.com
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:35:16 AM
Quote:

quote:

Are you asking for:
Best possum bellies?
Best trucks?

What is next? Who made the best sausage sandwich in 1970. You kids can play, I will leave you alone.

next is what show had the best pot in the seventies... once again my bias opinion is dell & travers. the pot was so good, when we got the munchies it did not matter who had the best sausage sandwich.[:)] peace

to wash that sausage down you would need a coke. imho carr show had the best coke.[:0]
Mark Twain
powersmidways.com
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:56:49 AM
Quote:

quote:

Are you asking for:
Best possum bellies?
Best trucks?

i don't remember who had the best sausage in the seventies man. but this guy is really hep when it comes to sausage making today. www.eatmyitaliansausage.com  be careful when you click on the sausage link man, it might send you on a bad trip..don't eat the purple acid.
Mark Twain
powersmidways.com
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:21:31 AM
That's what is great about this site; if you don't like a topic, you can avoid it by not clicking on it. Too bad someone would rather make snide remarks, because they don't like the topic, instead of just avoiding it in the first place. No, that person would rather hijack the topic. Ah, just consider who is making those remarks.

I was only born in 1970, hence was not around to see some those shows then, but it seems to me quite a few shows from that era could be on the list, from reading and hearing about history of the business. I am surprised RAS was not included. But then, they would probably run away with the poll, from what folks have said about them. LOL

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:51:10 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by lotman

dell & travers had a pretty strong route... of course that's a bias opinion lol

Have to agree with you lotman.. they had the A circuit on the East Coast.
john777
  •  john777
  • 67.28% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:06:16 AM
i dont remember much about 1970
[;)]what a long strange trip its been[;)]
with it and all for it
john 777

UserPostedImage
Bowler Roller
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:45:22 AM
A little before my time. In '70, I was still bouncing around in Moon Walks. From stories I've read and heard, I guessed Strates, since Royal wasn't a choice. In the 50's, my dad would go slough for Wade every year at Berkley Days.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
mcarnyforlife
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:56:32 AM
Quote:

quote:

Are you asking for:
Best possum bellies?
Best trucks?

I knew I would get a rise out of you with this topic, I'm surprised you didn't tell me it belonged in the carnival history section. I'm just interested about hearing about the shows from back then, I know I left a lot of shows off the poll but I was only 5 at the time, and we didn't even have a show that came to our fair up in north eastern washington.
violence is the last refuge of the incompetent....AYN RAND