IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Saturday, April 17, 2010 7:52:29 PM
Almost all of the big Shows used to have the G/M Bumper (or as I called them "Dodgem Cars"). Are there still any on the road? And what happened to all of those? Are they sitting (and rotting) in backlots, or what?

I know they were a pain to move, but I still think that those were better than the Scooters that have replaced them. I loved those old, heavier cars, as you could get some good shots in with them!
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Matt C.
Saturday, April 17, 2010 8:21:35 PM
If I am not mistaken, CVS had some in one of their old F&B Bumper Car buildings a few years back.

Carnevil, you out there?
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:37:19 AM
Thomas Shows still moves a 100' F&B

I hope to pick one of the 60-80' models soon for our park.
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:47:53 AM
Best scooter ever made was the Reverchon. 100 floor plates, 15 cars, two trailers to move but a money maker. Roughly 40'x70' Pinetar will correct my demensions if I'm incorrect. 3 to 4 hours down, 10 to 12 hours up.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
cny_chris
Sunday, April 18, 2010 8:42:01 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by IndianaTED

Almost all of the big Shows used to have the G/M Bumper (or as I called them "Dodgem Cars"). Are there still any on the road? And what happened to all of those? Are they sitting (and rotting) in backlots, or what?

I know they were a pain to move, but I still think that those were better than the Scooters that have replaced them. I loved those old, heavier cars, as you could get some good shots in with them!

Not a ground mount unit, but Carol Stream Amusements has an Otterbacher building with some heavy older cars in it. You definitely know you've been hit on that ride.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, April 18, 2010 9:41:43 AM
Ray Cammack has a "ground mount" euro style one where the axles pull out from underneath, its huge! If Indianhead Amusements outta Spooner WI is still on the road they move a Floyd and Baxter. Then I know last year when I was at Strates auction they had one out there, not too sure if someone bought it or is moving it?
mcarnyforlife
Sunday, April 18, 2010 4:14:47 PM
manuel martinez had his out a few years back at the kern county fair in bakersfield
violence is the last refuge of the incompetent....AYN RAND
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:47:22 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by flamo

Best scooter ever made was the Reverchon. 100 floor plates, 15 cars, two trailers to move but a money maker. Roughly 40'x70' Pinetar will correct my demensions if I'm incorrect. 3 to 4 hours down, 10 to 12 hours up.

Right on flamo, 10 up, 4 down, 10 men. Best temp set up crew was in Pensacola, 8 hours. 100's lined up to work, I picked the leanest. Very friendly bunch.
UserPostedImage
johnroach100
Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:28:22 PM
I hope it's not too off topic, but in my dim distant youth I remember hearing it being said the worst thing that could happen to a small show was to buy a dodgem. In todayspeak, it consumed too many resources for too little return. I feel like the trailer mounted ones changed all that. Also, I think Dodgem used to be a copyrighted name even if everybody called them that.
mikecroaro
Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:36:32 PM
I too have encouned the MLM Amusements (Manuel Matrinez) F & B Bumper Car. Last time was at the Solano County Fair 3-4 years ago.

Mike

dccradio
Monday, April 19, 2010 4:33:07 AM
Here are some pictures of Indianhead's Bumper Cars as seen last summer.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Mark H
LB Shows Mini Midway
Monday, April 19, 2010 5:20:32 AM
I believe CVS used to carry two Floyd and Baxter models to big shows back in the late 80s, early 90s. Of course, why wouldn't they?

They do still carry one according to their website.
Flying Coaster
Monday, April 19, 2010 10:28:38 AM
MBGS use to have a ground mount, good solid hits in the cars and very large but it did look like a pig to move.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, April 19, 2010 4:51:28 PM
From '73-'76 there were two 100' F&B Scooters on Strates, one was the show's and the 2nd was F&B's. Haven't seen a ground mount since early 90's.
squirrel
Monday, April 19, 2010 6:54:12 PM
We have a 40x60 F&B model - our route doesn't justify it's use though, and as stated above, ride consumes too much resources for return on a show our size. Any Bumper Cars are a great piece to have for bookings, but they don't earn against their return when you add in maintenance and crew to move it/transport it. We've had ours stored for a couple years now -- Any takers, PM me for a price and details --

Pics here:

http://media.rideguy.com/default.aspx?moid=91 

http://media.rideguy.com/default.aspx?moid=92