Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Saturday, April 17, 2010 6:24:27 AM
Anyone playing there this coming week?
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, April 17, 2010 7:51:11 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

Anyone playing there this coming week?

Larry Carr is somewhere in Charlotte
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, April 17, 2010 10:59:10 AM
I think Charlotte has a ban on carnivals.
BigGuyNC1
Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:05:40 PM
They do. Can't set one up within 15 miles of the center of the city. This is according to a NC Ride inspector.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality-Ayn Rand
Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:22:39 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BigGuyNC1

They do. Can't set one up within 15 miles of the center of the city. This is according to a NC Ride inspector.

Really? Why? Maybe there is a good reason but it appears very odd.
detroit121
Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:23:03 PM

why?

Quote:

quote:

babe,BABE!!!!!,,,,,make sure ya give him one!!
Skywheelrider
Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:37:35 PM
I thought those kinds of laws were ruled unconstitutional? I know there was a case of a city if Florida that tried, and one in New York, and shows fought the bans and won. It was ruled discrimination. But the cities were allowed to set outrageous permit fees and other cost requirements as to make it prohibitive. I'll have to look this up again. I know my home town wanted to try to ban carnivals in the late 1980's but the city attorney at that time (and still today) advised them against it and said they would lose in court and it would be overturned. So they didn't, they just quietly downsized the homecoming to kiddie rides and inflates, at that time.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, April 18, 2010 12:58:00 AM
Reithoffer sets up in Pineville at the carolina place mall just outside the city limits of Charlotte just about every spring.
BigGuyNC1
Sunday, April 18, 2010 3:56:16 AM
Did some digging around and found that charlotte requires temporary festivals/carnivals to go through the EPA first.That and with lincensing fees,city taxes,building permits,inspection fees and Carowinds not wanting too much competition.Lot of red tape,nothing about a ban on carnivals tho.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality-Ayn Rand
Skywheelrider
Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:20:09 AM
Quote:

quote:

Did some digging around and found that charlotte requires temporary festivals/carnivals to go through the EPA first.That and with lincensing fees,city taxes,building permits,inspection fees and Carowinds not wanting too much competition.Lot of red tape,nothing about a ban on carnivals tho.

Okay, that makes more sense. They don't want carnivals in the city, so instead of an outright ban, which could be fought in court, they use a process that makes it so difficult that shows will say forget it and move on.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
indianacarnie
Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:25:25 PM
imagine that, huh? legal discrimination. which brings something to mind......... does anyone know who said "the power to tax is the power to ban" or something along those lines. popped into my mind as i was reading this thread
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
johnroach100
Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:45:58 PM
I used to play Charlotte with Red Roach long ago, but the sponsor was the FOP. Think that made a difference? BTW, even with the FOP sponsoring them they took a snatch one year.
Carnie_Joe930
Sunday, April 18, 2010 7:07:07 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider
...they use a process that makes it so difficult that shows will say forget it and move on.

Not Larry Carr though...
[;)]
Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:24:03 PM
I was there but I wouldn't have had time to see any with the little time I had.