Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:14:10 AM
Board is getting kind of boring lately so I thought I would see if I could get some discussion going here.

I have been researching some local parks in PA. One of the classic rides, that it appears many parks in the day had, was the Tumble Bug (some called it the turtle). Did carnivals ever carry this ride? Or was this strictly a park ride. Ather classic rides like the whip and caterpillar, I have heard references to those traveling but I never heard about a portable tumble bug. I am guessing if this is true, the track must just be too difficult to build.

Anyone have anything else to add about this great old ride?
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
swooper
Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:56:28 AM
never saw a portable,doubt if there was one because i would think the center would have to be massive and well supported, because the ride is out of balance.The centers on the park units ar a large hunk of cement who knows how deep in the ground. there is one at kennywood, one at Coneaut lake and there was one at Whalom park before it closed. i believe thats all thats left. i think kneobles bought some rides from whalom, hopefully they bought the Bug and plan to restore it.

maybee flamo, pinetar or rrshow can help
Ridee-O
Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:56:19 AM
Ridee-O
Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:00:14 AM
[:)][:I][:I][:I]oops! the first few Tumble Bugs were portable, the diameter was 75' instead of 100' with some rods going from the center to the track it was a feasible operation but it was still too big and too heavy, Traver inlarged the ride and it was a big success with the parks.
ringmaster
Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:38:25 AM
The Wikipedia entry stated that the tubs revolved, I don't think this is correct, but I'm not sure. The Tumblebug at the old Mid South Fairgrounds was scraped in June of 1976 to make room for Libertyland.
swooper
Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:22:58 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by ringmaster

The Wikipedia entry stated that the tubs revolved, I don't think this is correct, but I'm not sure. The Tumblebug at the old Mid South Fairgrounds was scraped in June of 1976 to make room for Libertyland.

all the ones i have seen and rode including the one at olympic park in nj the tubs did not rotate but it was hard not to slide around in the steel seat.
Jackpotter
Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:05:46 AM
Kings Island had one as late as 1980 or so.
Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:53:20 AM
I heard that there was a variation that the tubs revolved.

The Tumble Bug from Whalom park I heard was purchased by the Edaville Railroad and has been sitting rusting away.

I have never seen one operated by parents always talk about it and my in-laws called it just "the bug".
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
swooper
Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:13:01 AM
the sign on the one at olympic park irvington nj just said
"Ride The Bug"
Skywheelrider
Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:40:51 AM
I remember the one at King's Island, I rode it when I was a kid, it had red tubs on it. It was called "Tumble Bug." I can still remember the distinct sound it made, kinda like a cicada bug makes.

I recall seeing one at Hershey Park, too, but I was six years old the first time I visited there so I could be mistaken. lol

I do remember seeing an old one at Beech Bend Park in Bowling Green, Kentucky in the late 1970's, and recall it was not running and looked like a piece of junk (our family used to take eight to ten day trips when I was a kid with my Grandparents, and one year we went to Mammoth Cave, and happened to stop at Beech Bend).

Bob-Lo Island had one (just south of Detroit), I saw it once in the 70's and never saw it again, don't know when they removed it (the park itself closed in 1993). I'll look in my Bob-Lo history book, but I believe their's was called "The Bug."

And from photos I have seen there is one rotting away at Chippewa Lake in Ohio.

I used to wonder about a portable version, too, but have never seen one, whether in person or in photos.

I liked the ride, always thought it was fun.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:54:35 AM
http://www.edaville.com/index.html 

According to their website they don't have the bug. The last itme I was there I don't remember any rides being there. In the late 70s. The did have several trains on a static display, old trucks and a petting zoo. I have pics of most of it. They also had an indoor museum with classic cars trucks and what ever. The railroad was actually built to service the cranberry boggs. As a kid I remember riding the train ttwice a year. Once in the summer to see the cranberries being grown and in the winter to see the Christmas displays riding in an enclosed rr car with poy bellied stoves.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Skywheelrider
Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:03:26 AM
Cool website, with a list of active Tumble Bug rides and a list of "defunct" rides.

Some really nice photos, too.

http://www.ridezone.com/rides/tumblebug/index.htm 

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
massachusettsman
Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:39:09 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by flamo

http://www.edaville.com/index.html 

According to their website they don't have the bug. The last itme I was there I don't remember any rides being there. In the late 70s. The did have several trains on a static display, old trucks and a petting zoo. I have pics of most of it. They also had an indoor museum with classic cars trucks and what ever. The railroad was actually built to service the cranberry boggs. As a kid I remember riding the train ttwice a year. Once in the summer to see the cranberries being grown and in the winter to see the Christmas displays riding in an enclosed rr car with poy bellied stoves.

The bug was bought by someone who was going to put it in railroad but that didnt happen and its not on the property
As for the rides they have a few and most of them came from whalom
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:05:10 AM
The Kennywood seats do not revolve all the way around, but you get swung around in the seats as the turn on the hills.
I rote the Conneaut one too a few times, it is a good one.They have the adult AND the kiddie versions.
Idlewild has the kiddie version, don't remember them having the adult one. But they have the great Caterpillar at Idlewild.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:42:56 AM
I believe Hershey Park has a kiddie Tumble Bug, or at least did last time I visted in 1997.