Jackpotter
  •  Jackpotter
  • 62.54% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, January 17, 2010 6:41:22 AM
Just got in about an hour or so ago from the Kentucky Fair Meeting.

Well attended, I think they said 935 attendees, which is only down 30 from last year.

There were fewer shows represented this year, however, with the Tennessee Meeting going on at the same time.

Shows I either saw or noticed their signs were Myers International, Kissel Entertainment, Casey's Rides, Playland Amusements, Paradise Amusements, Fiesta Rides, Murray Brothers and Gene O'Rides. NAME's Jeff Blomsness was there on Thursday evening as well. Otherwise, that's about it on the shows represented. As far as I can remember, this is the lowest number of shows that have participated.

All in all, it was a very positive and upbeat meeting. Most Kentucky fairs reported a small decrease in attendance last year, but nearly all had significant rain and felt the weather, more so than the economy, was the key factor in attendance drops.
BIG L
Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:31:15 AM
Dickson Carnival Co. & Interstate Amusements were also there.
Looking for strong route to book a
1 man ticket box. 😛
2ndgencarnie
Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:33:33 AM
Is it still held at the Gault(sp?)House? I loved that place.....
jackpot59102
Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:12:15 AM
Funtime Carnival was there also
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:35:24 AM
I'll was running this weekend too.
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
GACC
  •  GACC
  • 51.82% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:09:33 AM
Thanks potter,

Couldn't make it to KY or TN for personal reasons, but did talk to Starkey and he said they had a good show at both KY and TN!

Would have liked to see Calvin in that getup though!
indianacarnie
Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:17:21 AM
who was there for fiesta, do you know. betty i'm sure but was brian?
good people.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
Jackpotter
  •  Jackpotter
  • 62.54% (Friendly)
Sunday, January 17, 2010 11:33:11 AM
You're right, I did see Interstate signs, but I did not see any Funtime or Dickson posters and they weren't very visible in any other way either. Not knocking, just saying I spent three days/nights there and never knew those two shows were there.

It's still at the Galt House, Nick. Pretty nice place in the east tower as it's all suites. As with any hotel, the drinks are over-priced & the hotel food is average at best. However, it's an easy five minute walk to Fourth Street Live and any number of great restaurants!
TrabantGuy
Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:54:45 PM
Jackpot, you must be blind. Only 2 signs I saw in the main lobby was Playland and Dickson carnival, then on the 2nd "main meeting floor", there was a very nice 6 foot tall picture sign for Funtime! and also, Geno wasn't there at all! You must have spent too much time in the booze rooms! lol Eddie
Eddie Cole
Jackpotter
  •  Jackpotter
  • 62.54% (Friendly)
Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:10:28 PM
Geno certainly did have a poster on the second floor yesterday and last night sitting right where the pictures of the pageant girls sat all weekend. That was the second floor, just off the elevators to the right, just above the main lobby. I didn't get the room number, but I specifically saw the Gene O' Rides poster.

As for Funtime, I can't explain how I missed a six foot sign for them but I did see Casey's big sign. I guess I just didn't pay any attention to the Funtime one.

Also, Dickson must not have gotten there til later in the weekend because even Sue was asking about them when she was there on Thursday.

Not many people even go through the main lobby once the convention starts because there is no reason to do so. Everything takes place on the second floor and then there is the third floor Atrium that connects the two towers. Other than checking in, I was never in the main lobby after Thursday. Even walking to Fourth Street Live to eat last night we took the overhead walkways thru the Kentucky International Convention Center....and I also parked in the KICC garage so had no reason to go to the main lobby.
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:33:24 PM
Galt House Hotel gets my vote as the nicest state fair convention HQ hotel of any I've stayed at. I love the Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs for its history and old elegance but the suites at the Galt House are fantastic for the price which was $90+ tax.
I love the Hotel Roanoke too- is the VA meeting ever held there now? I would attend it just to stay at that hotel.
Jackpotter
  •  Jackpotter
  • 62.54% (Friendly)
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:12:59 AM
Was good to see you on Thursday Sue! And yes, if you can get in the East Tower, it's definitely a very nice place. From what I understand, the west tower is about to undergo a renovation as well but it's just typical hotel rooms for now.
LB Shows Mini Midway
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:38:40 AM
Glad to hear it was a success. I was hoping to go this year with a guy I know, but I wasn't able to.