David
  •  David
  • 52.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, December 1, 2009 11:48:40 PM
Thought this photo might be of interest to some of you.

The showmen has brought this ride on the cheap just for this event. He has refurbished it and given it a snowflake theme.

The front loading cars were added on a few years ago I think.

Some machines don't have a lever to rock the car yourself but some do. The front loading cars are more balanced than the old cars and rock far more easy with with operator controlling what the ride does through the speed of the wheel.

Full Speed the cars will loop over the top but slightly less speed will rock the cars and will loop on the way down or up which is quite a thrilling experience.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiuri/4150462925/ 
OUT NOW! Amusement Rides European Special 3: Oberhausen-Sterkrade (Germany) DVD
Trailer and information can be found on the website
http://www.amusementridesdvd.co.uk 
Jackpotter
Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:42:29 AM
Amazing how those guys take the most simple thing and make it look like something spectacular! Most of the poor old Rocks traveling the US look like something from the Pinetar Phillippines video find if they were sitting next to that piece. I love the snowflake theme...someone was thinking outside the box big time on this one.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, December 2, 2009 1:12:21 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jackpotter

Amazing how those guys take the most simple thing and make it look like something spectacular! Most of the poor old Rocks traveling the US look like something from the Pinetar Phillippines video find if they were sitting next to that piece. I love the snowflake theme...someone was thinking outside the box big time on this one.

Ditto! [8D]
David
  •  David
  • 52.02% (Neutral)
Wednesday, December 2, 2009 1:14:20 AM
The showman has also added an onride photo system which takes photos of the riders as they go around.

He has a photo booth at the side with 8 screens - on for each car and sells a wide range of products with the photo on including Photo wallets, mugs, keyrings, t-shirts, different size photos.

He said the ride has done better than he has expected so far and the photos have done ok too. I'll try and get some photos and video when I go back this weekend.

Facing the Rock O Plane is a Tornado themed as a christmas tree

http://www.flickr.com/ph...51218554/in/photostream/ 

Other rides in London include a Bayern Kurve from France, Power Tower 2 from Germany, a Musik Express from Germany, a Wave Swinger from Switzerland, a Giant Wheel from England, 3 roller coasters - 1 from Germany and 2 from the Netherlands, a Ghost Train from the Netherlands, the Rock O Plane from England, Tornado from England, carrousel from England, Slide from Germany, Slip from England, 2 fun houses from Germany and several UK owned childrens rides.
alibiguyny
Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:31:03 AM
That is one of the coolest rockoplanes.... Is that a wisdom or eyerly (sp).........
i dont smell em i just tell em......
dccradio
Wednesday, December 2, 2009 7:27:30 AM
That Rock O Plane is super sharp, would love to see someone do that with a Rock here in the states. Snow Flake/Snow Storm is a great theme for that ride in my opinion. Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Mark H
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:37:14 AM
there are other great pics in that album. thanks for sharing.
Jackpotter
Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:45:02 PM
You know, it would work with a regular rock with the tubs like they are. It just added a nice flair to the ride that you don't normally see. But, I suppose the greater question is would it be worth the expense and would it sell more tickets? Probably not, BUT, if the Rock was modified like this one it would be a totally new experience I'd think....and I'd have to believe one that sharp wouldn't have a problem getting booked in at some of the bigger fairs on the independent midways.

And yes, there are some other great pics in that album too!
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, December 2, 2009 9:39:06 PM
Now that looks fantastic. What a great theme for that ride. Lot's of other neat photos, I like how folks decorate their rides with CHRISTmas themes just for this time of year!
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
2ndgencarnie
Thursday, December 3, 2009 3:51:20 PM
Does anyone in the states have Tubs like those????
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, December 4, 2009 4:28:30 AM
john777
  •  john777
  • 67.28% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Friday, December 4, 2009 5:58:37 AM
great looking piece
thanks for posting
with it and all for it
john 777

UserPostedImage
Discjo
Friday, December 4, 2009 9:02:12 AM
David
  •  David
  • 52.02% (Neutral)
Monday, December 7, 2009 1:05:48 AM
Finally took some pictures for you all to see. The material used is topaulin (spelling?) and is just lit by sodium lights on the ground.

The cars still have a leaver for you to pull so you can lock the car, the restaints are double locked.

Riders seem to perfer it to the orginal cars as they don't feel closed in so much.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Jackpotter
Monday, December 7, 2009 3:02:36 AM
I'm just as impressed as I was!!! Best looking Rock on the planet!