rideguy52
Monday, August 3, 2009 8:57:54 AM
Before polling please read the entire scenario first.... So everyone knows about the unusually weet summer season. We had our 4 day fair this past week starting Wednesday and ending Saturday. Thursday & Friday July 23 and 24th we had rain showers, Sat late night into sunday morning when the midway was coming in we had about 3/4" inches of rain. Our field was already saturated and muddy (see "dirt" post) Also had rain on Monday night the 27th for about another 1/4". Wednesday had 1.25-1.5 inches of rain. Thurs was dry, Friday we had about 2 inches of rain. This is what was in my rain gauge at my house about 2,000 feet away from the midway field as I live right next to the fire company and it's midway field. Friday evening it stopped raining around 530pm set to open at 5pm. As you can tell the ground was really saturated and had standing puddles onthe parking lot, and grounds along within the midway. Owner stated was not going to open due to a slip hazard, wanted to recheck his stabilizers and cribbing and wanted to give it time to dry out before opening for Saturday. He also had lead lines coming out of his generators under water in puddles throughout the midway (this includes connections). As this was the 3rd day, the main paths through the midway were already cleared of any grass that was once there from the heavy foot trafic from earlier in the week. So with everything combined, you have heavy mud, slip hazards, high volatage electrical under water in some spots, possible unsturdy stabilizers. Would you open? Would you risk someones life to make a dollar? I tried explaining this to the rest of the committee but noone really understood me so I am asking if anyone else would stay closed due to the above stated problems. I know I would. I wouldnt want my children at risk riding rides. Thanks for the information. It is greatly appreciated as I got the question from the rest of the committee "Would any other ride company do the same?" So Thank-you in advance.
SideWinder
Monday, August 3, 2009 1:15:34 PM
NO WAY IN HELL WOULD I OPEN.... too much at stake, law suits, injuries, etc, etc, etc....In this law suit crazy world we live in people just look for any reason they can find to take you to court and spin dry you through the system.... again:

NO WAY I OPEN UNDER THESE CONDITIONS
DZILVU1
Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:55:46 AM
As for as I'm concerned the commitee has no right to complain about anything! Your the one who truly lost a weeks work not them, They lost one of their biggest fund raisers revenues-sure. But you have entirely more at stake than they do financially. If they can't understand that your a business person and wouldn't like to lose the profit anymore than they would, Too bad. If there happens to be an incident on the lot while your open, Their going to come to you for a resolution. Meaning financilly, so you have every right to decide what's best/safe to operate.
Rules are fine, As long as they apply to everyone the same
superloop6946
Tuesday, August 4, 2009 9:34:59 AM
It is very simple. Tell all the people who wants to open to sign an ammended contract that they all will ASSUME Any and All responsibilities for any accidents they may occuar on the midway.
Be interesting to see how many sign up for that.
superloop6946 IF ITS NOT A CUMMONS ITS NOT A MODEL RIDE.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, August 4, 2009 10:40:26 AM
This is the age of the web which means you can move in to 2009 by posting pics of the situation for a better understanding.

I would take action; keep the crew on standby doing what you can to eliminate the water. The situation could stabilize by 8pm where you can then open.

If you let the crew go early, they are off to the bar.
UserPostedImage
rideguy52
Tuesday, August 4, 2009 1:09:23 PM
like i said in previous posts on here, im not a midway owner, but I am chairman of the comittee and I think i was the only one to understand the entire situation. also pinetar, his employees do not really go to the bar, mostly back to their homes and other jobs. I would have uploaded pics but i still do not have any idea on how to do that on this forum.
Benjibear
Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:48:23 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by rideguy52

like i said in previous posts on here, im not a midway owner, but I am chairman of the comittee and I think i was the only one to understand the entire situation. also pinetar, his employees do not really go to the bar, mostly back to their homes and other jobs. I would have uploaded pics but i still do not have any idea on how to do that on this forum.

Load them on webshots or other similar photo sharing sites. That may change some minds here.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, August 4, 2009 3:56:48 PM
First of all, what show do you have and how many years of experience has he had on the midway? We need stats, pics and PARAGRAPHS.
UserPostedImage
Predatorocks
Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:49:09 AM
I was at a carnival, and they added those little chips of wood all over the place because of rain. Can you sweep puddles on grass? I don't know. I never tried it. Pinetar has a point though. If you just stand by, and do nothing you have the mindset, just forget it. Even though the solution might be impractical, you are least trying. I have a vacuum that takes in water, and than you can dump it elsewhere. It might sound stupid, but it could have got rid of your puddles. It's at least trying.

To me, I kind of think you have a reason to close up shop though, but there was a carnival around Chicago who after one day of rain, said we are not opening at night even though the fields weren't wet, and there was no mud either. That's ridiculous in my opinion, and they are gone because of that.
JustJeff
Wednesday, August 5, 2009 7:56:19 AM
Quote:

Originally posted by rideguy52

Owner stated was not going to open due to a slip hazard, wanted to recheck his stabilizers and cribbing and wanted to give it time to dry out before opening for Saturday. He also had lead lines coming out of his generators under water in puddles throughout the midway (this includes connections). As this was the 3rd day, the main paths through the midway were already cleared of any grass that was once there from the heavy foot trafic from earlier in the week. So with everything combined, you have heavy mud, slip hazards, high volatage electrical under water in some spots, possible unsturdy stabilizers.
[/quote----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I deleted part of the OP to save room,and to specify,just a couple of the really important issues (To me anyway).

Checking the blocking was an obvious reason but,

The most important issue IMO was the potential for problems due to the high -voltage..

We played a spot in Rouses Point N.Y. (right on the Canadian Border) many years ago...Torrential rains on friday night Tons of people..The whole area lost power for hours.

Our boxes sat right on the ground back then..Killed the generator...Raised a couple of boxes up and wired the fire station up and fired the genset back up.
While most everyone went home,the firemen and the show people went inside and had a heck of a time....No money was made,but lot's of good will was gained..

My point is--The Show owner should be commended for shutting down.One bad incident would not be worth the potential money that may have been made...You can always make up lost money ,but can't take back a lost life or a serious injuty...Just my opinion..jeff

Edited for spelling...jeff

Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, August 5, 2009 11:38:50 AM
Have your CSI Team (Carnival Site Investigation) report back with pics.
too many unknowns.

For instance:
1.The shows elec. system is not up to code.
a.What does that mean:
The show knows that they have poor grounding practices.
" " " they have lugged buss bars and not breakers.

I have never failed to operate under such wet conditions. But you haven't provided much in intelligent information. We can only assume you have a rag bag show. So, give us details.

Good Lord man, it is easy to post pics to an album. This is 2009, the year of Obam. Rejoice and be glad.
UserPostedImage
GACC
  •  GACC
  • 51.82% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, August 5, 2009 11:47:32 AM
The MCW World is dieing for more information!
rideguy52
Thursday, August 6, 2009 3:41:17 PM
ok well like i said i do NOT have pictures of it, the show has been there 10yrs (about). They have a good practice of electrical, trust me i see them about once a week from april to september, they have West End Fair and Carbon County Fair. go to www.jtmonline.com/goodtime  and look at the pics u can see some electrical on the pics. As I said before I tried uploading model pics by following the directions and nothing happened so I leave it at that abut uploading on here. Other forums where you can create an attachement at the bottom of the message are better for me lol.
indianacarnie
Friday, August 7, 2009 7:48:11 PM
was in fargo n.d. 1980 when it flooded bad.wouldnt want to open under anything similar.i agree about getting the commitee to sign waivers if they insisted on opening.way too many ride accidents this year it seems.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
Trucker090
Saturday, August 8, 2009 1:36:40 PM
www.jtmonline.com/goodtime 

That don't look like no rag bag show to me !! Old age is catching up with pinetar !! I would not open that night. Then prepair for a great next day. Clean up and try to dry it up. Sawdust, shavings, straw whatever it took..
<h5>"If you cant run with the BIG dogs stay on the porch"</h5>

UserPostedImage

http://wwwseattlewheel.ning.com